rear facing child seat

ryan319

can i put a rear facing child seat in my GN? my daughter is 5 months and i'm tired of rolling in the family subaru. there's plenty of room in the GN but i'm not sure if a rear facing seat would be safe in it. has anyone done it?

There's a thread in the safety section you might try reading.

i did read it, but its for forward facing seats (age 2+ or 30lbs). i'm talking about a rear facing seat. i think that some of that info is applicable but not all of it. i'm looking for people who have put in a rear facing seat specifically.

Might work but you'd probably have to move your seat pretty far forward so it is not touching the car seat.

Won't work. The poor child will be constantly slammed into the restraint system on acceleration. Poor kid will end up with belt bruises every time you take her for a ride.:D

You can put the seat in the middle and use driver and passage seat to keep the car seat from moving around. I did this with my kids. Make sure you get that seat belt real tight! Let me if this help you out.

You can put the seat in the middle and use driver and passage seat to keep the car seat from moving around. I did this with my kids. Make sure you get that seat belt real tight! Let me if this help you out.

The car seat shouldn't be touching the front seats at all!

Mount it in the center, cinch it down with the lap belt, put your knee into the baby seat to really compress it into the cushion. You should have less than an inch of movement in any direction at the base.

Then, take the restraint for the upper part of the seat and tie it off on the slider of one of the front seats to keep it from rocking backwards under acceleration.

And yes, you need the front seats far enough up so that they are not touching the baby seat.

I have done it. Just tilt the seat back forward to the first latch and lose some leg room and they will fit. I hate those baby on board signs that every parent had stuck to their windows, but put one on your steering wheel as a reminder what you have in your back seat. It's okay to get smoked at the stop light by a neon when your baby is with you. As the late Jackie Gleason says in smokie and the bandit: you can think about it, but don't do it!

For me I lean my seat back so I know there is no movement and easy for me to feed my baby. This might not work for you but it work for me. Never had a problem with it! And Dcving 6 there is lot of people that do it this way.

i don't know about my Regal since i've never had a rear facing car seat in it (had a few different forward facing seats in it), but i had a rear facing seat in my Nova when my cousin's daughter was a few weeks old and there wasn't any problem with the seat moving around or anything like that.

I drop my daughter off at daycare in the TR every chance I get. Seat works great but it does move the front seat up. I'm going to try the middle position in the rear next.

Without having those car seat latches welded in like the newer cars have I would not consider putting a baby in our cars. If you did the seat would have to be front facing, think it would be safer. It would be nice if someone could make a kit that could bolt in to the car where the seat belts go in.

i put the thread up for foward facing car seats and my kids not 2 and shes in one but shes really tall and certain seats ar good for 22 pounds and up.
as for rear facing seats i had my lil monkey in my car in her rear facing all last season before she got to big for the rear facing just slap it in the middle get the rubber pad seat protector from toys are us so you dont ruin your seat put the bass in get your knees in the bass use the lap belt true the seat and straper down nice and tight your good to go.

I just did this for the first time the other day. You can do it no problem, put the base/seat in the middle of the back seat and use the long middle belt to secure the base. I didn't even have to move my seats either, fit great in the middle. The toughest part of the whole thing is remembering that you can't hammer on it with the little one in the car!