Rear Engine Water Leak ?

Drake

For the past 6 years there was a small water leak from the rear of engine. Believed it was from one of those small plugs behind the transmission, so a little bottle of Bar (or similar) fixed that until now. It got bigger and need to fix.

Plan to pull the transmission in hopes I can get at plug and just replace it.

Anyone been through this before? Going about it the best way? Any cautions when removing trans? Can the small plugs be replaced in car? And any other potential problems I may have!
Thanks

Do you mean freeze plug? If so the back one can be done with tranny out but its a PITA somewhat.

Yes that's what I think (freeze plug) Seems that's the only logical place its coming from?
Agree its a PITA - that's why I've been avoiding it

Might be head gasket, too. Might be just easier to pull the engine and that way you can positively determine the source of the leak, and fix it correctly. While it's out you can roll it over and check the bearings.
The rear plugs can be accessed with the trans out, tough. Pull the converter cover and look up and verify the source of the leak, FIRST.

Will try that later today I hope, thanks.
Naturally while the engine is out (if I go that way) I can really get myself in trouble.

Yes that's what I think (freeze plug) Seems that's the only logical place its coming from?......../QUOTE]

Actually there is another place that water can leak back there. :)

Check the heater control valve, as I have encountered it leaking on the back side where you cannot see it until it runs down the back of the engine.

Just a thought, freeze plugs get worse in a hurry in my experience, usually much less than 6 years before they really open up?

OK, the plugs on drivers side all look great, Pass side unable to see with started in however
The area looks fairly clean so off to heads - unable to see any signs of leaks along either head on back side. It looks like it coming from both val cover (of course it isn't)
Was about to ask about back of intake (leak is someplace up there I think) So the heater control valve will be my next stop. thanks so far, will be back.

an idea

Remove the coil and module--much easier to see back of intake.

Found lots of green water on top of intake (adapter plate)
Removed heater control valve, it was good - replaced with solid hose for now. Did find a leak at one of the small outlets which use to lead to Throttle Body (fixed)

Tried to blow off all green liquid from top however some still left so will retry a run around town tomorrow to see if leak gone. (Have plans for tonight)

While I have your attension - what is the medium size sensor at rear of engine, is it for temperature? If so that's a possible on the list since a large pool of green was there.

While I have your attension - what is the medium size sensor at rear of engine, is it for temperature? If so that's a possible on the list since a large pool of green was there.

That sounds like your knock sensor.

BTW, you source of leak, as you have discovered is probably one of the small hoses for the throttle body heating.