Rear end upgrade

I was thinking the samething. Let the guy that make them set them up so it will be right from the word go.

Last edited:
I'm currently doing rear upgrades to my T along with other things. Moser street c-clip axles, rebuilt posi, original gears, TA girdle. I wanted to share something that frankly concerned me. I put the girdle on last summer and everything inside the diff looked good. I then made 5-6 passes at the track. Cracked it open this time and was found that the lock bolt for the large pin running through the carrier had broke in 3 pieces and the pin was on it's way out. Had it come all the way out at speed it would have exploded the rear and I probably would have crashed. Not sure how this happened but make sure you check everything over while it's apart.

IMG954984.jpg
IMG_3777.jpg
IMG959612.jpg

Finished:
IMG953544.jpg

I'm currently doing rear upgrades to my T along with other things. Moser street c-clip axles, rebuilt posi, original gears, TA girdle. I wanted to share something that frankly concerned me. I put the girdle on last summer and everything inside the diff looked good. I then made 5-6 passes at the track. Cracked it open this time and was found that the lock bolt for the large pin running through the carrier had broke in 3 pieces and the pin was on it's way out. Had it come all the way out at speed it would have exploded the rear and I probably would have crashed. Not sure how this happened but make sure you check everything over while it's apart.

View attachment 217893 View attachment 217894 View attachment 217896

Finished:
View attachment 217895
That pin should be a case hardened pin. Whoever designed it to be hard enough to break...failed that assignment. All it does is keep the axles apart so the C-clips stay in position. Yours is not the first one I've seen or heard of breaking.
I cannot wait to put the Ford ends on my car and rid myself of these damn clips.

I had Moser c clip eliminators for 12 years and they never leaked. Switched to Ford ends and bearings and now it leaks.

I had Moser c clip eliminators for 12 years and they never leaked. Switched to Ford ends and bearings and now it leaks.
Bad fixture when welding on your ends...I would guess. I fear this too. We had a shop years ago...( when tubbing cars was common) ...that had a kick ass fixture. Never a leak or bind, nor premature failure of a bearing.
Cutting rear housings is just not that common anymore and a quality fixture is prob getting hard to come by.

It was a quality shop, and they have a good fixture. I think the o rings on the bearings are inferior. I took axles out and cleaned up cups and flipped o rings. I'm going to see how that goes.

hey i was wondering if u have the stock 28 spline GN axles for sale ? i been looking everywhere and cannot find any,

It was a quality shop, and they have a good fixture. I think the o rings on the bearings are inferior. I took axles out and cleaned up cups and flipped o rings. I'm going to see how that goes.
I haven't read through all this, but I assume you switched to a big ford bearing with an o-ring on the outer race. They all leak, silicone the od of the bearing when you install it. Mine fit perfect in the housing ends and still leaked. A little silicone and they are bone dry. I've never had one not leak without silicone.

The factory ford setup had inner seals behind the bearing, some billet housing ends are set up for this, but the axle must be right also.

These ends are not set up for an inner seal. I did silicone them up when I put it back together.
I did find a little weld burn thru that was keeping one of the bearings from seating correctly.