Rear end gearing

dank GN

BlackArts Automotive (661)993-8277
im currently runing a stock set of 3:42 gears . From what I’ve read it’s prob the best gearing to have considering that these cars are low reving torque monsters. I’ve also read that 3:73 gears will make it seem faster but in realty you go slower in the 1/4 . I’m considering going the other way and getting a set of 3:23 gears . I’m runing a th400 and have plenty of power with my stage motor . Does anyone have any input on correct gearing or there experience with a different set of diff gears ? Thanks for your input in advance

What size tires are you running ? Going from a 28" tall tire to a 30" is almost the same as going from 3:42 to 3:23 . I'm going to try a 30" tire next season .

What size tires are you running ? Going from a 28" tall tire to a 30" is almost the same as going from 3:42 to 3:23 . I'm going to try a 30" tire next season .
I’m currently runing a 28” tire . Maybe I’ll try a set of 30”

How does first and second on your 400 compare to a 200? Percentagewise, it might be like changing rear end gears if they're far off.

A few minutes with Excel and a beer:

upload_2017-11-28_0-20-49.png

Numbers are final drive ratios as compared to crankshaft speed.
4l60E has the same ratios as the 700-R4.
The rear end ratio is on the left axis.

As you can see, the TH200-4R's first and second gears are deeper and provide more mechanical advantage across the board than the Th-400. So much so that at 3.23 gear combined with a TH200-4R is still going to be better than a TH-400 with the stock 3.42s.

All things being equal, a car will be quicker with a 200-4R than a th-400. The ability to shift into fourth means you'll be faster, too. Ultimately. A lower rear gear numerically increases maximum speed, which you need to pay attention to since your top gear is 1:1.

For each inch in tire diameter increase, you'll gain 3.14 inches of travel per tire revolution. At 6000RPM, your top speeds for various gearings (assuming 1:1 high gear in the gearbox and no slip in the convertor) are:

upload_2017-11-28_0-37-12.png

Of course, this model is oversimplified, and doesn't look at RPM drop between gears, extra weight, etc. The actual answer, as in all things, ends up being "it depends."

But if you're trapping close to 146, then a 30" tire might be the next step.

If you're not trapping close to 146, you may have other things to look at. Or not. It depends.

im currently runing a stock set of 3:42 gears . From what I’ve read it’s prob the best gearing to have considering that these cars are low reving torque monsters. I’ve also read that 3:73 gears will make it seem faster but in realty you go slower in the 1/4 . I’m considering going the other way and getting a set of 3:23 gears . I’m runing a th400 and have plenty of power with my stage motor . Does anyone have any input on correct gearing or there experience with a different set of diff gears ? Thanks for your input in advance
A more aggressive gear with the right engine/converter combo will accelerate faster as long as the tire doesn't spin.typically guys will pull rear gear when they start making more engine power and match it to the rpm range they are running at with available traction.every gear can go fast.

One thing I will add is weight has a sig role in the gearing choice if the car is light dropping the gear doesn't have major losses.its all in the combo