Rear Bumper Filler Question

csmwiese

My 30k Grand National rear bumper filler is now cracking. I see new ones on Ebay in all price ranges. What has everyone else done?? I would prefer OE, I have not yet called to see if they are still available. What have you done....Good ones or Bad ones to stay away from.

Thanks, Clint

IMG_1126.jpg

Clint, I see you are new, but try a "Search" and you will find much recent info on bumper fillers, thanks.:)

i went with fiber glass ones from gbodyparts.com... they are great. and i found some in junk yard off a regal and took both rear and fronts... but i say fiberglass ones.

I was reading this thread and wondered if this is a common problem and what to do about it. I do not have any cracks yet BUT my drivers' rear filler sags down. Maybe I need to start looking for a new one as well...

Sorry to add another question to the thread but I figured you guys would know.

The GM fillers where primitive and not designed to last 25 plus years even less for owners that reside in states like Florida. Problem is not just Regals but most GM cars of that vintage with fillers....

Cars today have eliminated that design making the bumper and nose of the car all one unit.

Basically two styles exist fiberglass and abs style. Fiberglass retains the stiff look and looks good unless it gets hit....abs has some flex to it.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

knock on wood my 1987 Turbo T still retains all 4 original ones with no cracks as of yet....also grateful it has a fixed antenna....!!!

The GM fillers where primitive and not designed to last 25 plus years even less for owners that reside in states like Florida. Problem is not just Regals but most GM cars of that vintage with fillers....

Cars today have eliminated that design making the bumper and nose of the car all one unit.

Basically two styles exist fiberglass and abs style. Fiberglass retains the stiff look and looks good unless it gets hit....abs has some flex to it.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

knock on wood my 1987 Turbo T still retains all 4 original ones with no cracks as of yet....also grateful it has a fixed antenna....!!!

Actually Fiber glass fillers can have Hyperflex added to them which gives a lot more strength & the ability to flex more then regular Fiber glass. This reduces the chances of cracking. Personally I feel it is easier to repair Fiber glass then it is abs plastic.

Mine was sagging on the passenger side last spring after I uncovered it. You could see it if you were on top of it but from the back it still looked ok. Then I was cleaning up some spilled gas and I pushed through the rear of the filler back by the gas fill tube were there is no support. I noticed this year when I had it on a hoist changing the oil, on the underside where the filler curves back under the bumper it was kind of wavy and once I grabbed it it broke in my hand.
So…if yours are sagging, there done.

What company offers the Best replacements? Someone said a more flexable fiberglass...OK who sells them? I just want the best ones available.

Thanks, Clint

What company offers the Best replacements? Someone said a more flexable fiberglass...OK who sells them? I just want the best ones available.

Thanks, Clint

Well, since BWeavy mentioned them.....I would guess he sells them?

I just got the abs rear bumper fillers and they don't even come close to fitting. On the driver side its a 1/8th of an inch from being flush with my quarter panel. My tail light won't even fit right, and where it meets together by the gas fill tube its no where close. Maybe I just got a bad set or I need to do a lot of cutting and plastic filling. My original ones are still in good shape and has just one small crack a much easier to fix that then redo the new ones. Can't say any thing about the fiberglass ones.

I got the fiberglass ones and they sucked also, the passanger side had a hole in the corner, they had to be cut to fit in the gas filler area and the outsides didnt line up to good either. I just painted them myself as I will be getting the whole car done this summer. My shop will have to spend a bit of time making them look smooth and filling the hole also.

NOT impressed with them

Someone out there has purchased a great looking and fitting set of bumper filler. What's the best??

Thanks

Whos fit better?

I was wondering which brands are preferred. Danko has there's on sale, but I have heard gbody's fit good. Has anybody tried danko's fillers or bumpers?

I got a set of rears from G body last year and they fit great. Had to elongate some of the holes here and there, but they look great on the car.

I wouldn't recommend the fiberglass ones. They are too hard. If you ever get hit with one on, it will likely put a mean crease in your quarter panel. ABS plastic ones are a decent substitute and I've had no trouble using them in the past with a little adjusting.

None of the aftermarket ones I've come across so far are a direct replacement for OEM ones. I'm sure with all the technology available today it's only a matter of time till some decent replacements arrive on the scene. Quite surprised with the prices that NOS ones are selling for it hasn't motivated someone to come up with decent repops. There's obviously a large demand that will only increase over time as these cars age.

Fairly easy to tell the difference between aftermarket and OEM. 2 Holes and the stiffness

If it's a driver quality car I'd do the ABS ones. If it's a really nice low mile well kept original I'd search for some NOS ones. HTH

I bought a complete set of Gbody fiberglass and they look great. I was wondering if anyone has experience the bumper rubbing them and what is the cause and a fix? My assumption is the shop, after my restoration, put the bumper on a little off (is that possible). Yesterday I was out driving and caught a little bump and it must have cause the bumper and the fiberglass fillers to to rub chipping the paint on the fiberglass.