Rear Brakes Sticking

Ron Coleman

I changed the cylinder in the rear drivers side because only one piston was moving/leaking. i thought that was causing the sticking but it wasn't . I am also thinking wheel bearings!?
:confused: :mad:
any ideas guys ??
thanks

Sometimes it take a day or two for a response. If you haven't found your answer yet, here is my take on what I think you are meaning.

The term brake sticking usually means a brake shoe return spring(s) isn"t pulling the brake shoe back to the released position, i.e. the brake is staying applied after you let off the peddle. Another possible problem is the emerengy brake cable is stuck and have shoe pressing against the drum.
With both rear wheels off the ground and tranny in neutral, does the wheels rotate without (mininal) brake drag?

If brake fluid (leaking wheel cylinder) get on the linning then the brake shoe will NOT be effective on that wheel. It will seems like the opposite wheel is grabbing/stopping more and it is.

Gary

yeah, if the lining on yer brake shoe gets a good amount of fluid on it the brake will feel grabby or sticky. the wheel may even lock up when applying normal brake force, but only when yer almost stopped, like rolling 3-5 mph and apply brake. you should prob get a hardware kit for both drums and new shoes if this is the prob your talkin about

Sorry Guys!

Im just frustated with this car.
I changed drums,pads and cylinders and i still here this noise.
I sounds like a grinding noise and it's pointing to my axle wheel bearings :(

Get the rear end up in the air, both rear tires off the ground and put the tranny in netural. With jackstands supporting the car, get under it near the rear end and rotate either rear tire. Listen and see if you hear the grinding noise and can determine where it is coming from. If it lound enought that you can hear it with the engine running then you should be able to spin the tire fast enought to hear it. If the noise is coming from the rear end, remove the rear end cover and look at the gears and for pieces in the bottom of the differental.
If the noise sounds like it is coming from the brake area, then you may have bearing problem. Still have to remove differental cover to remove clip so that you can remove the axle, so that you can replace the bearing and bearing seal.
Gary

Thanks Gary!
I was very doubtful but u just reinforced my hunch :(

P.S. Gary, Is this very hard to do ?? ,Any pointers :confused:

Did you do as suggested and raise the rear end up and listen? Did you isolate it to an axle bearing? If you did then it is not that difficult:

1. remove wheels
2. remove brake drums
3. pull rear diff cover off (10 bolts prob 13mm)
4. rotate an axle until you can see a small bolt that hold the "pin" in
5. pull the pin out
6. push bad axle inward
7. you will see a lage C clip on the end of the axle, pull it off
8. remove axle
9. remove bearing, replace bearing, count back down to #1. :D

The axle bearing removed and installer should be available to rent for free (deposit returned) from your local Auto Zone, etc.

Hope this helps, post back any other questions.

thanks gary

it went smoth with the tool from autozone and i hear no more noise/sticking in the rear :smile:

thanks again !!