Rear Air Bags

Raymond Bunch

"Turbo Enthusiast"
Where to buy them for our Turbo Trans Am's?

Are they the same ones used on the Turbo Buick's?

Thanks in advance.
Ray

Save your money and get an adj. Wolf bar to keep the rear level if your going to be launching hard. Gonna be my next purchase soon as I get a little money saved. Otherwise, no bags at all work fine to a point. Then one bag in the PS usually works.
Your best suspension mod will be LCA's and relocation brackets. That will get the geometry of the rear to put the force to the ground when adjusted correctly.

I don't want to spend to much on the rear suspension. I drive the car regularly and do only occasional blast down the track. So, I really don't need anything super fancy.

Where would I buy the passenger rear airbag at? Thanks.

Just get one or a set from the parts for sale section. That's what I did. Otherwise summit has them.

Ok, thanks. Question though, if you might know.

Are they the same as a Buick Grand National? If so, I already have the passenger side.

Last edited:
Then post the part number or link. I always thought they were the same number for some reason..sorry.

I did a search here on evil bay, then ordered them thru Summit. The same part number says it is not compatable with 1987 Buick Grand National. Punch in the information for 87 Grand National, you'll see. Also, this place is cheap! I could have saved a few dollars, but didn't want to wait until next week. I will be getting the ones from Summit a few day sooner.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Lift-60897-Air-Lift-1000-Air-Spring-Kit-Rear-Chevy-Camaro-Z28-/161120275470?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year:1989|Make:pontiac|Model:Firebird|Submodel:Trans Am GTA SE|Engine - Liter_Display:3.8L&hash=item2583844c0e&vxp=mtr

Last edited:
air lift air bags ... they are the same for GN's TTA's and ls1 F bodys...... Mesap told you the best ... im stil trying for the unabtainable 9 sec slip with the fwd heads and sg1 block

air lift air bags ... they are the same for GN's TTA's and ls1 F bodys...... Mesap told you the best ... im stil trying for the unabtainable 9 sec slip with the fwd heads and sg1 block

That's cool, good to know for the future. The evil bay site must be wrong.

Hope you get that elusive 9sec pass in due time. This would be absolutely amazing to see! I also have a set of fwd heads. Who did your porting? I would like to get mine done too, but, on a budget.

That's cool, good to know for the future. The evil bay site must be wrong.

Hope you get that elusive 9sec pass in due time. This would be absolutely amazing to see! I also have a set of fwd heads. Who did your porting? I would like to get mine done too, but, on a budget.
If you get the heads ported, I would get the intake ported as well, so it all matches. Or you can shoot for 10's on stock unported heads like Dave. He is running 11.2 with a little more left in it.

Yes, I'm shooting for 10's too on an unopened engine. I think Dave will hit 10's no problem. The heads will be for future builds for simplicity sake if I ever had to go into the engine. Might as well have all the good parts on standby. A rebuild will happen eventually...:confused:

I like your new Avatar:cool:

My intake is ported, and the egr port is eliminated. I also had the throttle body bored out, and eliminated the pcv system.

My intake is ported, and the egr port is eliminated. I also had the throttle body bored out, and eliminated the pcv system.

Nice. Luckily, I already have a ported intake, not on the car yet tho, and a Ported TB. I'll probably put the intake on when the ported TTA heads go on down the road.

How did you eliminate the PCV system? Was there a reason to eliminate it?

I installed a rubber plug "wonder plug" where the pcv goes in the intake, and I have a driver side valve cover on the passenger side with breathers in the filler holes. I didn't want oil going in to the intake from the pcv system. I opened the holes in the breathers as much as I could so they had less restriction, and less air velocity under boost.