Razor's Alky, Trans Pro & WB O2

Zoliaster

I'm pretty new to all this stuff so please pardon my ignorance. I have an 87 GN that I'm installing Razor's kit and the translator Pro and a wideband O2. I plan on using the O2 sensor in conjunction with the trans pro to set A/F at WOT.

Here's were I'm confused: When I mash the pedel as the boost levels rise an increasing portion of fuel will be replaced (or added too) with alky. I thought I read that as this happens it affects the O2 readings(not sure in which direction). If this is so, how does this effect the translator and its actions. Say for instance that the O2 readings are lowered by the addition of alky, will the Pro try to add fuel to compensate thus making it run rich? Or Vice-Versa. Or am I just lost?

Any clearifications on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick

I started out changing alot like you.... and Razor told me to leave it all stock to start with.... get a good chip like Eric's turbo tweak chip... for alky..... and start tuning at a low boost and work your way up to full boost (like 23 #). Then.... when you get all that working.... smooth as silk...... start making the other changes......

If you make too many changes at once... and it doesn't all run like it is supposed to.... you won't know where to start to fix it......

Just my 0.02

FWIW.... Eddie Brewer has gone low 7's in the 1/8 and 11.37 in the 1/4 on a stock turbo... stock un-opened motor in a full weight car..... through the stock MAF sensor.......

Good advice!!

Unfortanately I've got all this stuff already. The car had a bad maf, a no name chip, weak engine etc, etc and had sat for 4 years. I decided to do something about it and went a little overboard.

I didn't know about this place until after I started or I would have done things different!! I was trying to build for the future and figured it would be easier all at once. HAH! :eek:

I'll definately start up like you said though. I'll borrow a maf to start. "One step at a time!" is my new montra! Oh well live and learn. :)

Just trying to get my head around the whole thing right now.

Thanks!

Switch the alky off, get your motor to run correctly up to 15 PSI boost... in other words get your drivability sorted out. Once you have mastered this... go and start on tuning the alky kit in.

Try and make your stuff as simple as possible.. then work on getting the complexity added.

Blazer406.. your good :wink:

Once again good advice... Thanks

I guess I'm looking more for the theory of how its supposed to work rather than how to make it work, if that makes any sense. I'd like to have a little better understanding of how these 2 systems work together to make it easier when it comes time to tune it.

Razor said:
Blazer406.. your good :wink:

I am learning..... listen to what everyone says........ only believe what half the people say........

Wisdom comes from figuring out which half to believe........ :wink:

Razor said:
Switch the alky off, get your motor to run correctly up to 15 PSI boost...

If your chip has 24 d of timing it may still knock at 15 PSI of boost. All cars are different…different IC, turbo etc. My car would knock at 15 psi with pump gas (93) and my 24 d chip. The only way I got my car to run clean was 20 d chip @ 15 psi.

He has a Translator Pro.

Needs to learn to tune it :wink: .

Part of tuning is adjusting fuel and timing. :biggrin:

Not a chip..

Razor said:
He has a Translator Pro.

Needs to learn to tune it :wink: .

Part of tuning is adjusting fuel and timing. :biggrin:

Not a chip..

Missed that...chip or no chip my point still stands. At 15 psi one car may knock and another may not. Set the timing low.

Needs to learn to tune it .
Yup! :biggrin:

Apparently as Razor's kit adds alky the WB O2 registers this as an increase in fuel and then the Translator Pro removes the proper amount of fuel to maintain the set A/F ratio.

Thanks for the help!
Rick

alky

oh come on razor. My change engine soon light hasnt came on yet. Lets hook up the profec & pump the boost all the way up. Oh should I get some 96 lb injectors too? :biggrin: Good luck with the tuning by the way. Blazer must have been listening to razor :eek:

Zoliaster said:
Yup! :biggrin:

Apparently as Razor's kit adds alky the WB O2 registers this as an increase in fuel and then the Translator Pro removes the proper amount of fuel to maintain the set A/F ratio.

Thanks for the help!
Rick

True but you dont want the correction to be happening if at all possible. In other words if the setup is pulling 15% fuel to keep your target air fuel ratio... you need to pull 15% of the fuel out so it doesnt pull fuel. This way keeping your AF with minimal correction.

On my FAST ecu I have my correction limit at WOT -3% and +25%. Only can lean out 3% and add up to 25% fuel if it goes lean.

Start your timing low.. but dont go too low as this will cuase a rise in EGT's. Typically without alky around 18-20 degree's timing at WOT. With alky approx 22-25 degree's timing.. and work from there. The higher the timing the less the EGT but the higher chances of picking up knock.

If you pickup any knock that is octane related.. add alky.. then reduce fueling to offset the additional alky.

Piece of cake :rolleyes: :biggrin: :wink:

The Pro can be set up for different fueling for alky or non-alky (purple wire...)

Get it running right on gas..... then turn it up....!

Let me know if I can help.

Bob