Rattle under car

webleyaz

Damn, that was fast!
I'm baffled. There's a rattle only at idle and only most of the time. almost always, really. I've had it on a lift running and can hear it, but can't find it. I know a guy who has a GN w/the same rattle. BTW mine is a TTA. I'm going crazy, here! It's been there for YEARS! I may even offer a reward for the right answer.

Mine made rattle noise when the torque convertor came apart. It could also be the valves in the pump in the trans. Also check the torque convertor to flex plate bolts as they could cause a rattle noise.

Hmmm. I had the converter out a couple of times, once to have it re-balanced so I've pretty much ruled it out. The trans pump valves, you say? Very interesting. It's incredibly loud. I'll check w/some tran. gods and see what they think.
Thank you lots,

When the Torque Coverter bolts come loose the flexplate rattling can be very loud...you said you've had the TC out a few times...did you loctite the bolts?...if not you may want to check those first...

This happened to me

Transmission dipstick hitting the firewall or the coil pack...

Good luck..

Shaun

Originally posted by webleyaz
I'm baffled. There's a rattle only at idle and only most of the time. almost always, really. I've had it on a lift running and can hear it, but can't find it. I know a guy who has a GN w/the same rattle. BTW mine is a TTA. I'm going crazy, here! It's been there for YEARS! I may even offer a reward for the right answer.

Crank sensor touching the interupter ring? very light/ringy tink tink tink tink type niose?

Check the routing of the transmission lines coming forward to the cooler. They can come real close to touching in several area's, and if they do it make a anoying rattle. Mine were coming from the back side of the inner finder where the tranny lines were just barely off of it, but at idle it would rattle. A little bending took care of it. Good luck on finding your rattle.;)

I chased my exhaust system for almost 2 months to find the rattling I *thought* was my downpipe hitting the frame. Turned out it was my torque convertor to flexplate bolts. Rattling sound, most common at idle, heard it most of the time, but not always. My bolts were not 'backed out loose', but tightening them up with a little locktite ended my rattles.

I printed this entire thread. I'm on a mission today I'll keep y'all posted. Thanks for the replies!

Convertor moving on the stator. These things git thin after some abuse. At least mine did. Look at the splines and see.... Just my .02.

I had a rattling noise that drove me crazy for months:mad:
it turned out to be some pebbles dancing on the exhaust y pipe of my Hooker Exhaust:confused:

Happy Hunting
FRANKIEz

Turbo Jim you beat me to it!!!!!!:mad: :) The second day I owned my car I noticed a rattle and didn't think much of it. Finally the other day I crawled underneith to find out what it was. The crank sensor has a poor fit in the holder striking the interupter ring. I used a tie wrap to hold it out of the way, noise gone! Drew