Rant & Rave... I Hate Effin Craigslist!!!

~JM~

Wrinkled Member
Over the last few months I've been selling off a bunch of stuff that I've accumulated.

I cannot believe the lack of intelligence and/or common sense displayed by many of the questions & replies to my ads. Forget about punctuality!

WTH is wrong with people these days? :banghead:

3 times in the last week I have made a deal over the phone to purchase a motorcycle . First time agreed to meet half way and the guy never showed . Called him back and he agreed to meet me at my shop another day. He didn't show, told me later the next day, he cancelled again. Said this week and he never returned my text. Last night a different seller and I agreed on a price and where to meet today. He text me a couple hours before and said he was offered more money. Maybe it's just me, but my word is gold. People now days don't keep their word, maybe it's just Craigslist.

Good luck on your search for a bike.

Sounds like Craigslist flakes go both ways.

The problem with everything these days is the banks loan to anyone now. People can get into anything and the general population has polluted nearly everything.

Back when the banks wouldnt loan to certain people, guys like you and I had to pay cash for things and really have a passion for what we were paying for. Now you have a bunch of jerk kids/adults getting whatever they want even though they still cant afford it. I blame the banks.... the general P were always jerks.

Maybe... But the general I.Q. level seems to have really taken a dive lately.

Example: I have a flatbed trailer listed for sale. The ad describes the features & states that the bed is 16', overall trailer length is 20'. A guy calls me & asks if the trailer is 16' wide! WTH? Another guy calls & asks if I'll take less money for it without even seeing it, etc. Just a bunch of dumb ass crap!

My favorite are all the "is it still available?" emails. Then when I say it is, I never hear from them again. I have a bunch of stuff I want to get rid of but I'm just putting it off. Selling stuff on craigslist can be like torture.

Unfortunately it's par for the corse.

The Internet age all I ws people to hid behind their computer and behave like the surge of the earth they are.

I guess we should almost be greatful we don't have to meet them.

D

The problem with everything these days is the banks loan to anyone now. People can get into anything and the general population has polluted nearly everything....

At the risk of bringing politics into the topic... If you are interested, take a look at the Bill Clinton administrations requirement that the qualifications for a home loan be lowered so more minorities & folks with a poor credit score could qualify. This caused the sub-prime lending that brought about the housing crisis of 2007-'09, etc.

The reason that I bring this up, is because Obama is now doing the same thing. Beware....

If you haven't watched "The Big Short" yet, it is worthy of your time.

Last edited:
this is why i prefer facebook groups for buying and selling stuff.. you still get the same flakes and idiots, but at least you can point them out to the world and call them out publicly on their stupidity.

Yup, selling my GN on the local Craigslist ranks pretty high on my list of irritating experiences. TONS of flakes and scammers. But its a free site so all of the shit that goes with it comes with the territory unfortunately.

My biggest problem with craigslist is the fake ads. Before spring hit I had wanted a beach truck, mainly a early 90's Bronco... I would answer an ad, they would give me this story over it being a dead husbands or they are being shipped out to Iraq on military leave... All BS, send a check etc. yadda yadda yadda - Long story short, I never even got a truck, I answered several ads all of which were BS.... I kept an eye out for them, and they would use the same picture but the location would change. It's very aggravating. I even tried out letgo, that app you can download on your phone.... It's more wheels for Imports or trucks then anything else, but still found bogus ads on it as well.

So hey, anyone have an old truck in the NY area they would like to sell? lol

What is truly unfortunate, is that Craigslist has pretty much destroyed most of the other forms of Classifieds & advertising media.

Remember back when you had to pay for a printed ad & only had so many words to describe your item?

The fake ads are a real problem. You can spot them fairly easily after a while. They usually show a picture with the contact info & description in the picture. Don't mess with e-mail or text replies. Require a telephone number right away. I don't accept e-mail or text replies to my ads any longer. Telephone replies only.

I love some of the ads themselves you swear they were written by 3rd graders. I won't even contact someone that can't place a sensible ad with punctuation and reasonable grammar. To me Craigslist is like going to a giant garage sale. Most of the stuff is crap but you might actually find something good if you look hard enough. Believe it or not I found a real '70 GSX project car within 100 miles of my house on Craigslist.

Neal

It depends. I get disgusted sometimes with the poor ads and cryptic inquiries. I have been trying to sell a desk. First day got two responses. As soon as I answered I never heard another thing. Makes me wonder if it was not a worthy scam for them.

Sunday some guy locally had a 4 wheeler taken from him at gunpoint from a Craigslist ad. That is damn scary. 3 guys showed up at his house. So far I have had no problems but I generally have multiple communications with the buyer before I sell to them. Gut feeling is real important.

3 times in the last week I have made a deal over the phone to purchase a motorcycle . First time agreed to meet half way and the guy never showed . Called him back and he agreed to meet me at my shop another day. He didn't show, told me later the next day, he cancelled again. Said this week and he never returned my text. Last night a different seller and I agreed on a price and where to meet today. He text me a couple hours before and said he was offered more money. Maybe it's just me, but my word is gold. People now days don't keep their word, maybe it's just Craigslist.
Update on my Craigslist experience :
I looked this evening and his add has been reposted since yesterday. I believe he changed his mind on our agreed price and was trying to get more money from me. I may text him some other day and offer him even less this time.

You don't want that bike. The owner sounds like a jerk.

What kind of bike are you looking for?

Ah... Been a long time since I looked at serious dirt bikes. Good luck with your search.

Sunday some guy locally had a 4 wheeler taken from him at gunpoint from a Craigslist ad. That is damn scary. 3 guys showed up at his house. So far I have had no problems but I generally have multiple communications with the buyer before I sell to them. Gut feeling is real important.

I saw a report about people getting robbed like this on one of the 60 minutes type shows. They said that some police departments are encouraging people to meet in their parking lots to do Craigslist deals. Well lit, usually surveillance cameras recording everything, cops close by if needed and just the idea of showing up there should scare off thieves and scammers, don't have to give out an actual home address, etc. Sounded like a good idea, but I guess it would magnify the hassle factor when the other party flakes and doesn't show up. Could also meet at a mall or WalMart parking lot :).