Random die

Turboboy

A friend has a 87 gn that he has had since new and it now has about 40,000 miles on it. Ever since it was brand new sometimes when you wot the car and let off it just dies, it does it around corners also sometimes,but always starts right back up.Back when it was under warranty they could never figure anything out. (I bet the techs had fun test driving it and trying to get it to act up. haha) anyone else ever have this problem or know an answer to this? Thanks

Sounds like a similiar problem I had with my 86 GN years ago. When I would WOT mine one of the battery cables would come into contact with the passenger header and ground out the motor. Under heavy throttle the motor would torque towards the pasenger side enough to contact the wire. On the frame there is a clip that holds the battery cables and if the clip pops open and allows the wire to come close enough to the header it will cause the issue you are describing. Only difference was mine wasn't doing it when letting off but rather when I was on the throttle. Mine to would start back up and do it around corners on occasion.

Tony...

I had a similar problem. It turned out to be the orange wire going to the ECM from the battery at the connector.

If it has the stock chip in it that is most likely the problem. There was a recall chip that addressed that problem. I would put a more up to date chip in it like a TurboTweak chip. :cool: