radio cuts off and on

krisking94

So my radio recently (aftermarket head unit) has been cutting off and on while driving. Did it couple times this morning. One time it cut off and CEL came on then radio went back on and light when away(all within 2 seconds) and if I like hit a bump hard enough it'll cut it off and on. Now does the problem fall I'm the head unit or somewhere else? I would like to fix this before it possibly becomes a bigger issue. Thanks for the input as usual guys and gals!

Where did you get power for the head unit ?
If the CEL is coming on when hitting a bump I would be checking all connections

Bryan

Where did you get power for the head unit ?
If the CEL is coming on when hitting a bump I would be checking all connections

Bryan
Radio was installed by previous owner so I have no idea.. it only comes on when the radio cuts out

Radio was installed by previous owner so I have no idea.. it only comes on when the radio cuts out
But also it doesn't come on all the time when the radio cuts off. It feels like when it comes on the car is shutting down. Then turns right back on

Like radio goes out. Cel light comes on. Car powers off then everything Is back on all within 2 seconds

Pull the head unit. May be connected to the cigarette lighter power and melted the wires

Pull the head unit. May be connected to the cigarette lighter power and melted the wires
Very possibly. U think that would cause the car to die sometimes real fast then come back on? I mean when I bought it in October the guy did say his 17 year old son put the radio in for him. Same kid who also knocked the window off track a week before I bought it :/

Some clown did that to mine. Melted the wires all the way to the fuse box. I had to take the dash apart to get it fixed .. hopefully that is not your problem but that is where I would start looking.