Radio-control GNX

Coelacanth

I wasn't sure what section to post this in, so I figured this would be the most suitable area. In the RC world, people refer to their RC cars as "rides", so I guess it's the right place. For the record, I think it's silly as you can't ride a 1:10- or 1:12-scale toy, but it is what it is...

I always wanted an RC GN, but other than a goofy 1:10-scale toy of a Buick Regal blasphemously jacked up like a monster truck on huge-diameter Dubz, an RC GN simply doesn't exist. I did come across a 1:12-scale Lexan Monte Carlo body that was pretty close, I figured I could create the illusion of a Grand National, but it would take a lot more than just painting the 'Carlo body black.

I took a bunch of pictures of my own car's details (headlights, taillights, sidemarkers, emblems, etc.) and searched out a bunch more from the Internet, and designed my own sticker sheet, scaled down to perfectly fit this particular body. I used waterproof glossy vinyl inkjet sticker paper. Scaling down and touching up the stickers in image-editing software was the biggest challenge; down-sizing some of the elements to that small a size, it was hard to keep the digital images clear...in fact, I intentionally kept some images larger-than-scale so that they would better show off the important details that distinguish a GN from a Monte Carlo, like the grille, hood, tailgate and fender vent images. I also decided to make stickers for GN, GNX and Turbo T variants of the Turbo Buicks, in case I or anyone else wanted to build those cars.

I'd like to share with you the first convincing hobby-grade RC Grand National, based on a vintage Associated RC12L3 chassis that I resto-modded for modern electronics. It was a project that took me close to a year to complete. I'll eventually take a video of it running but I need to take it to the appropriate track; it needs a very smooth surface.

The paint job was pretty easy...LOL...the windows are tinted mind you, not solid black; and I painted a strip on the front clip at the bottom on the outside of the Lexan to give it a matte black finish, just like the real car's black plastic "chin" spoilers there.

Here's the build thread:

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=35541

GNX_Done_1.JPG
GNX_Done_2.JPG
GNX_Done_3.JPG
GNX_Done_4.JPG
GNX_Done_5.JPG
RC12L3_Chassis_Done.jpg

Last edited:
I used to race RC cars. Nice "ride"!!!
The old Clint Eastwood movie Deadpool was fun to watch with some good ole fashion RC Car action!

Sweet ride. Having several high $$$ electric and gas powered 1:10 scale cars and trucks. Awesome!!! Very nice jobs with the build. I know how many hours you can accumulate in a basic build let alone do what you have done here. Great job man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Um this is sick!!!!!!!!! Would you make me a white one???? I will pay :)
Hi nickrov,

I assume you mean just doing a body like this one, not the whole RC car chassis? I could probably paint a body like you want, then apply Turbo T or whatever stickers on it, but you'd have to provide a 1:12-scale RC pan car chassis. It wouldn't need to be a vintage resto-mod like what I did, which was a ton of work with a lot of one-off custom parts I fabricated just for that car. If you had your own 1:12-scale pan car chassis, I'd just have to do up a body, apply my custom stickers and ship to you. You'd then have to mark the wheel-wells, trim the Lexan body and mount it on body posts however that works for the RC car chassis you had.

Of course, money talks and I could even be persuaded to build a current 1:12-scale pan car and add the body, but it's a fair amount of work and time involved.

PM me and we can discuss further what your options are.

I actually have a valterra awd 1/10 scale......... just want white with all gnx badging like yours. see my avatar. :0

I actually have a valterra awd 1/10 scale......... just want white with all gnx badging like yours. see my avatar. :0
This body and my stickers are scaled to fit 1/12 scale, though...they won't fit a 1/10 scale chassis. I believe McAllister Racing makes a 1/10 scale Monte Carlo stock car body, which could be a candidate, but I'd have to create an all-new sticker set for that larger size of body. If you had a 1/12 scale car, it would be easy to do a white GNX body for you (although white GNX's don't exist). :)

http://www.rccarkings.net/mcl268-3, 10th Monte Carlo SS.jpg