radiators

ThebigbadWolF

not sure if this is the correct section as i do not see a cooling area...

i need a radiator, i recently overheated. I purchased the car from a guy in AZ and have not been happy with his care of the car.

so instead i figured id just replace the rad/wp/therm and full flush

thanks guys

Alradco here, very happy with my radiator. Runs nice and cool!

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

There are also a couple sensors that turn on the fan that could have failed. Try letting the car idle and monitor the water temp with a scan tool. That should tell you when/if the thermostat opens. Also check and see if the fan(s) come on around 180-190 degrees. If the water temp gets up to 200 and the fan still hasn't come on then it could be the fan switch on the front of the intake. This is what it looks like http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...946/18890712-P?searchTerm=radiator+fan+switch

i was also told by a friend i could use a radiator from a camaro....

You could have a hamburger [camaro] or fillet mignon [allradco].

If using the factory oil cooler you would also have to purchase a oil cooler or eliminate it if using a cheap plastic POS camaro radiator.

It's CLT on the scanmaster. That will tell you what the sensor is telling the ECM the temp is.

The Camaro radiator that's a drop in is for an 89 IROC with a tree-fiddy.

I think it's about $70 from advance auto if you buy it online using whatever discount they have at the moment. Then in a month or two they'll mail you a coupon. for $25 or $50 off your next purchase.

Maybe Earl could explain this better but I've heard of issues when you use a radiator that is not brass like the factory one. Something about Eddy currents moving between the aluminum (F body) radiator and the iron engine block causes corrosion.

There's millions of iron block cars all over the roads with aluminum radiators (much like the Camaro this rad was destined for) rolling off the lines every year. Even comes with warrantys.

Eddy currents would depend on the shape. And if anything the extra scrubbing might make the radiator more efficient.

with a metal radiator like brass it's never a bad idea to ground one. If the coolant get's a little bit of conducitivity to it and the radiator is on a different level of voltage than the block you can get some electrolysis going. The potential to 'plate' the inside of the block with radiator will start to be attempted. That's why the heater core has a ground strap running to it.

Nothing super scientifical will happen just because a radiator meant for a Camaro gets put into a Bruick. It's just a water to air heat exchanger. Nothing more, nothing less.

First make sure it is your radiator that is causing the problem. Many ways to troubleshoot this. Easiest way is to feel (or take temperature) of the lower part of radiator and make sure it is same as top portion.

Back to the radiator question, if you want to keep everything stock as possible Alradco is the ONLY way to go. If you want to keep the oil/trans out of the radiator (won't destroy your rad if you mess up your engine and will better cool, BUT you will have to fab up some lines/external cooler location) then I would suggest a BeCool universal. I have one and love it. My car runs too cool with it. I would stay FAR away from any plastic F body rad. Do a search there are issues with the tanks cracking from the tubes/fins.

I would also buy some RMI-25 and let it circulate for a couple weeks regardless of what you decide to do.

Nothing super scientifical will happen just because a radiator meant for a Camaro gets put into a Bruick. .

You sure earl,

It could be bad. who wants to see this in a buick owner.
yearbook+mullet.JPG

bunch of trolls hahahah

thanks for the info i just figured id toss money at it, like a true grand national.

ill test the fans, how can i tell if the water pump is functional?

Every aluminum radiator with plastic end tanks I have had always seeped at the seams. Some of the F body radiators are warped corner to corner too, so look at it before you walk out if you do buy one. I would go with the ALRADCO. Peter is a vendor on here and that rad and his fans are TOP NOTCH! Made in the USA too. I usually try to support the vendors who support the board and the hobby.

There should be a small hole on the top right behind the pulley,if you have water coming out of it you have a shot water pump