Radiant barrier/Roof insulation?

Adam Connell

Monster Truckin since 87'
Well Im currently working on the interior of my car. I've got my doors apart right now, and I am going to add some sort of sound deadener. I am going to do my head liner and under the carpets very soon as well.

So does anyone know what the best product for blocking heat is? I live in Texas, and even with an A/C system is top shape, it cant keep up when it's over 100. I've installed a radiant barrier in my house, and it made a HUGE difference in my power bills so I figured I'd see if there was anything out there for the automotive market... I also started using one of those windshield shades and was blown away at the temp difference. Black cars and 105+ degree days are hell, so I figure anything is better than nothing!

You could always paint it white. :D

You might look for a ceramic paint coating to apply to the underside of the roof. The coating would work better on the outside but wouldn't look good. Are your windows tinted? That really helps.

~JM~

There are numerous radiant barrier products available that will serve your need. I have added these 1/4 inch products to several cars and have had recognizable results. Do the roof, the interior cowl, and the floors and you will be satisfied with the differential in heat transference.
A cautionary note on the roof application: make sure you have a high grade high temperature adhesive applied to very clean surfaces to get the best installation. There are several adhesives available including some areospace products.
Good Luck

Looked at this myself Adam. Putting a coating on the inside of the roof is a good idea but you will need something that will hold up to the heat. What you'll also need to do it remove any rust from the underside of the roof first and then paint or coat it so moisture won't be a factor during sesonal temp changes we have here. Think about rhino liner or something simular and then go with a barrier so it won't rot after you do it.:)

Go to Sound Deadening Materials for Noise Reduction from Second Skin , nothing but great things to say about their products. Same problem out here, 120 degrees in the summer with 40 year old ac technology. Used their foil based sound deadener and the heat wave products. A/C worked fine.

One thing I will tell you is that coating the floor and the area near the firewall helped more than doing the head liner. You have an insane amount of heat coming up from the floor and the firewall.

I think Dynamat used to make an underhood insulator with silver backing on it.

I'd make sure it's reasonably thin so that the headliner board will fit okay.

Usually under the headliner the paint is decently shiny and clean, both my cars are/were and I've been driving without headliners for years now. :eek:

Under 0 degrees is worse than over 100 in that regard. :(

Just so you know peel and seal from the home depot type stores is not the best thing for hot climates. It has asphalt on a sheet of aluminum, when it heats up it smells like someone tarred the inside of your car and reeks. It comes back every time it gets hot. The higher end products, dynamat extreme and damplifier pro use butyl rubber that doesnt smell or run when it gets hot. Ask me how I know this :(

I applied Dynamat Extreme to my car 3 years ago. no problems in AZ heat. Just need a very clean surface. There may be cheaper products out there that do the same thing but, I figured this is a one time thing so I went with the biggest company. Interior is a lot quieter and cooler in the heat. I have pictures in the link in my sig.