Radar detectors and Laser

conn84gn

Today I saw the crusier first and no laser on the Beltronics STi: confused:
There was a car passing me so maybe not on me but Im in a 07 vette
Have they added new laser bands (CT.)
I have a Beltronics STi I bought 1 1/2 years ago after the ticket
I got a ticket in the then new vette, set the cruise for 68 mph so I thought actually set it at 78:tongue:
Only had the car a week then:mad:
When I first got the STi it picked up laser so what up?

Having a laser detector will do you no good. The laser (think precision here) beam is very narrow and will not set off your detector unless the laser is pointed right at it. The most optimal place to point a laser is at the license plate or the headlights...for maximum reflection. I'm sure Bell appreciates your business though. :D

Well it has saved me many tickets:) :)
So they target the plate interesting
Guess what, no front plate on the Vette;)
Yes, two plates required in Ct. but
I will not put holes in the front fasica:mad:
Yes very narrow beam now with new tech stuff
Thanks

Well, then you must be the states wet dream. Running all over with your corvette, no front plate, speedin all over the place. I personally like to keep my money in my wallet. ;) Do a little research on the laser detector and you will see that I'm correct. Good luck.

They aim with laser at the plate or headligts, laser jammers are your best bet, I use. A Valentine1 and is never let me down, of course I did get a speeding ticket in my wives frickin van ( no V1) figures and cost be a grand to get out of it ,it was in a work zone on a Sunday no workers but still stuck it to me!

How are you so sure he even hit you with the lazer? Did he pull you over and give a ticket? Maybe I missed something here.:confused:

Damn John, $1000 bucks :eek: I don't have to tell you my feelings on traffic cops. :eek: ;)

I use the Valentine 1 here in CT.

I don't go over 75mph on the highway anyway though. :p

My 2 tickets were in 25-35 mph local zones. :rolleyes:

Haven't had one since 2001 around when I bought the V1. :smile:

I haven't heard anything here in CT about new bands, you probably weren't targeted. :cool:

In my area detectors do 99.9% no good because it is instant on radar at least and usually LIDAR which is even more instant.

There is usually enough scattered laser light for the detector to signal but a signal means you have been clocked.

The Man will claim they have no resources to find your stolen car but if they find a beer in the car you will see at least five brand new Crown Vics on the side of the road

i went 7 years without a ticket until i got caught in calif from behind. after i paid the ticket, i got me a VALENTINE 1 . those arrows on it comes in handy.

The majority of radar detectors are manufactured by radar companies. In NC, Lidar is used along with K-band and Tracker time and distance. Time and distance instruments are the best though, Usually when a defense attorney see's computer of the ofc. citation, he will plead the defendant guilty.. But in our state, getting a ticket reduced is pretty simple. I don't mind helping someone out when he needs it, especially if they are an old gear head.

I got a ticket using the V1. By the time it went off it was too late, laser ticket. Officer was nice enough to write down a lower speed than what I was doing. Other than a few short blasts in the GN, I really don't speed anymore. Guess I am finally growing up;)

Yep, laser is a much more focused beam, and they usually aim for the lic plate or a area that has alot of surface, but the further you are from the laser gun, the less acurate since the beam starts spreading out (think diffracted light) Laser is hard to beat, but from the reading I've done, mount your detector low and point it down towards the plate. It's not foolproof by any means, but it may help the detector p/u the laser. You will also notice a majority won't run laser in rain or med fog because it scatters the beam to much.

As for radar, if it ever comes up Ku band, you better believe it's real radar. They are slowly phasing out X and K bands, but alot of departments still have this stuff. Not much you can do about instant on except don't be first in line, and stay to the right lane, most police go after the left laners because it's the passing lane. Unless your completely by yourself, even instant on will give itself away, it's often the driver who thinks false alarm. Case in point this holiday weekend. Coming back to OKC from Dallas, 2 OK state patrols hiding behind a bridge, but my detector went off for just a sec and it was Ku. Wouldn't you know, 1 mile later I found them. I've had my Passport 8500 for 6+ years now, what a great product.

Steve

Often the officer will shoot the laser out into traffic with his finger depressed on the laser trigger searching for a vehicle traveling faster then adjacent traffic before locking onto a vehicle. That is usually when your laser is picking up the signal.

My Radar gun utilizes a KA band. Meaning even with the best Radar detector I will pick up your vehicle before your Radar gun will pick up my Radar. The laser is much more accurate and has a much faster signal reflection. In Oklahoma cops pick up trucks 10 miles out when there is no interference.

My point is the only time your not going to be caught speeding is when the Officer is being lazy basically. I would just keep my unit on at all times because I didn't want to have to turn it on and off every time a vehicle approaced me. If my Radar was off and I turned it on and you were 5 miles away it would pick up your reflection waves long before your Radar detector would.

When using laser it's the same concept. If I look thru my laser scope without pulling the trigger (Speed wave activator in a nut shell) and saw your vette traveling down the highway and locked you into my small window and pulled the trigger your Laser detector will pick me up for sure. But only after I have already picked up your initial speed. You can slow down but it's too late by then.

Like I said most cops are lazy when doing speed enforcement so it all comes down to whether or not his finger is on the lasers trigger when pointing out into traffic searching for speeding vehicles.

raising the BS flag...

The detector will alert BEFORE the gun gets a reading. Problem is that the gun will get the reading before the car can slow even if the driver has the best reaction time of any human on Earth.

The distances you mention are laughable - there would not be enough return for your radar or LIDAR to pick up after the reflected energy attempted to make it back the 10 or 5 miles you mention.

It is also my understanding that most departments have rules to prevent "over sweep" with LIDAR - 1,000 feet is a long hard shot and there is no way you can hit a car or truck at 10 miles.

The detector will alert BEFORE the gun gets a reading. Problem is that the gun will get the reading before the car can slow even if the driver has the best reaction time of any human on Earth.

The distances you mention are laughable - there would not be enough return for your radar or LIDAR to pick up after the reflected energy attempted to make it back the 10 or 5 miles you mention.

It is also my understanding that most departments have rules to prevent "over sweep" with LIDAR - 1,000 feet is a long hard shot and there is no way you can hit a car or truck at 10 miles.

Lol.... And you say this from personal experience? Let me be very clear. The detector will absolutely NOT alert before the Radar or Laser gets a reading if the cop is using a newer Radar/Laser unit. That's a myth and if you choose to believe that then that's your choice but before you raise the BS flag have something more then your opinion to back it up before you do so.

In the city the unit would not pick up a target that far away because of obvious building interference. On the highway with a KA band unit it absolutely would. This I know because I have measured it myself with a couple trooper friends of mine when we became certified to operate the units. We went to the extreme but it was just for fun to see how far the more expensive and sensitive KA band radars would work.

With Laser you would not pick something up at 10 miles cause you wouldn't beable to see what your aiming at. The Radar has a wide beam and would certainly pick up a vehicle at those distances as long as there are no clear obstructions as I stated.

What rules are you talking about? lol.... City police departments have no rules. Even if there was a rule anything past 1000 feet would be too far to see anyway.

So what you understand vs. what you think vs. what is facts are about Radar and Laser units are obviously (3) different things.

Radio waves, just as light waves (they both exist on the electromagnetic spectrum), travel at the speed of light, or 670,616,629.3844 mph. Theoretically the radio waves will be transmitted from the radar gun to the target, which will set off the radar detector, are reflected and return to the radar gun (transmit/receive), and display a reading. Quite frankly, I would have to agree that the radar detector would alert to the presence of radar first simple because it reads the radio waves sooner than the radar gun receives the waves. Think of the path of travel the waves must take and you will see it's a out and back trip, and the radar detector will 'see' the radio waves before the radar receives the waves back and mathematically calculates the speed using the doppler effect. However, because radio waves travel at the speed of light the argument is a little ridiculous. In reality the popo will know exactly how fast you are going at the same instant your radar detector is going off and then you are going to react and begin braking. The point being that with instant-on radar, if YOU are targeted and alerted by your radar detector (or LIDAR detector), then it's already too late.

Radar is very messy, and the radio wave cone is very broad, splashing radio waves all over the place in that large cone. LIDAR is very precise, and at a distance of 1000' the diamter of the beam is 3' if I recall correctly. I would have to go back and look at my research/training material to verify. This is why I suggest that LIDAR, when deployed properly, may not even necessarily activate the LIDAR detector. Especially of the LIDAR detector is mounted at the top of the windshield. The LIDAR would be excellent for picking specific targets out of a lot of traffic because LIDAR calculates speed by a time-of-flight method, measuring the time it takes the beam to go out and back, and will do this multiple times in a span of less than a second, thereby giving a speed reading. Downfalls of the LIDAR is that it must be deployed 'currently' from a stationary position, and is suseptable to wave attenutation by things such as rain, fog, etc.

Sorry for the bad spelling, it's late.

All i know is if a cop flips it on and then off and has his aim on you, no radar detector is gonna save you.

Case in point I was doing 67 in a 55 up hwy 903 in Seven Springs NC. Radar detector was on and in the windshield. Mr. cop was sitting in the cemetary. As I crossed the bridge my wife says to me "is that a cop?" Next thing I know my detector starts beeping, but it was too late...mr cop didn't have his radar running the whole time, he just last minute flipped it on and got me.

BTW 903 is a country road, don't speed if you're ever on there. And I thought cops hung out in the city. :rolleyes:

All i know is if a cop flips it on and then off and has his aim on you, no radar detector is gonna save you.

Case in point I was doing 67 in a 55 up hwy 903 in Seven Springs NC. Radar detector was on and in the windshield. Mr. cop was sitting in the cemetary. As I crossed the bridge my wife says to me "is that a cop?" Next thing I know my detector starts beeping, but it was too late...mr cop didn't have his radar running the whole time, he just last minute flipped it on and got me.

BTW 903 is a country road, don't speed if you're ever on there. And I thought cops hung out in the city. :rolleyes:

Thats a smart pig. :eek: Thats the way I would do it. In my town they drive around with it on. My K-40 picks them up a mile away when there coming at me. Thats not laser though. I have been hit with laser by county and the k-40 did pick it up. Luckily I was not speeding. :rolleyes:

( #1 Rule ) No man with a good car should be justified