Radar detectors and Laser

Id like to see how the prosecutor would react if someone told him the officer tagged him at over 1000 feet so it doesnt count. That would be some funny $hit:biggrin: .

Point is that many departments have regulations about this because the beam spreads out over distance and his 10 mile claim is laughable when 1,000 feet has already spread enough that it could hit more then one car

Amen

True, which is why you can't use the radar detector as a free pass to do whatever you'd like. It's a tool that works best in conjunction with common sense and it's not foolproof. I like to drive a little faster than the posted limits, but also drive courteously and with respect to conditions and the environment. Let's face it, some speed limits are set artificially low specifically for revenue generation. I pass through many rural areas on my way to work that allow me to bypass the major highways. Cops in these towns LOVE to pick off commuters who they don't believe should be using their roads for this purpose. My Bel has saved me COUNTLESS times on these roads. Mostly Ka, with the occasional K band.

On the highway, however, you need to employ a little more strategy. I always keep someone out ahead of me as bait. Listen for the blip from the detector when they get 'instant on'd', watch for brake lights up ahead. People stand on their brakes when they see a cop no matter how fast or slow they're going. It's a sure sign of a cop set up in the median.

I've had the laser detection light up before, but it's pretty much useless. It will only light up when you take a direct hit or a glancing blow from another car. You can see them a mile away anyway, since laser is line-of-sight. You see the brake lights, then the guy freezing his gonads off standing outside his car with the gun. Again, common sense applies - if you're the only one on the road it's best to suck it up and obey the limits.

The only ticket I've gotten with my Bel was when it wasn't plugged in (had unplugged it in order to plug in my GPS and forgot that I wasn't 'protected').

They remind fast drivers to slow down to the speed limit. They offer plenty of protection. I went from multiple tickets per year to one in the past 4 years after buying my Bels (have had a couple of them).

A good, well connected lawyer is not protection from a ticket unless you keep him in the car with you all the time. A good lawyer will get your ticket reduced or eliminated in court, though.

Jim
You saved me alot of typing as I could not have said it any better. My Valentine One detector has worked many times. Wow, I hope I dont jinx myself.

Point is that many departments have regulations about this because the beam spreads out over distance and his 10 mile claim is laughable when 1,000 feet has already spread enough that it could hit more then one car

Do you know anything about KA Band radar and its range? Apparently not.

I find it amusing when someone posts their opinion on something they are completely clueless about? Did you learn that when you became certified by IPTM to operate a Laser/Radar or were you just talking out of your azz?

Its your words against the officers. If your the only car on the road your f'd.

Do you know anything about KA Band radar and its range? Apparently not.

I find it amusing when someone posts their opinion on something they are completely clueless about? Did you learn that when you became certified by IPTM to operate a Laser/Radar or were you just talking out of your azz?

Radar information is available in great detail - it is NOT my opinion it is the way it is Mr. 10 mile speed gun operator - here are the specs for one of the more powerful units and it is K band, the Ka you mentioned does NOT work as far as K.

Now who is talking out their azz.

BTW: If it were not for your street punk (cop) attitude, I would not be so sharp, but you brought it on yourself - bet it really pisses you off because you can't put me in my place not being on the side of the road with you.

Wonder why so may do not trust or like the cops - look to yourself.

Power: 10.8 to 16.5 Volts DC, 0.8 Amps @ 13.6 Volts Nominal. Fused Power Cable.
Reverse Polarity Protection.
• Speed Range:
Stationary
Target: 10 to 200 mph
Moving
Patrol with Speedometer Interface): 4 to 120 mph
Patrol without Speedometer Interface: 10 to 80 mph in City Mode
20 to 100 mph in Highway Mode
Target
Opposite Direction: 10 to 200 mph Closing Speed
Same-Direction: +/- 70% of Patrol Speed (will not measure speeds within 3 mph of Patrol Speed)
• Target Distance: One (1) mile Range (typical) for an average size vehicle. Range varies with vehicle size, terrain, weather and traffic
conditions. Note: Range is lower in Same-Direction Mode.
• Display:
Speed Display: Three (3) LED windows simultaneously display
Left Window: Target Speed/Strongest Signal
Middle Window: Fastest Speed/Choice of Locked Fastest or Locked Strongest Target
Right Window: Patrol Speed
Mode Window: A Fourth Window (between the Middle and Right Speed Display Windows) simulates the antenna signal direction in
relation to the patrol car:
Front Antenna: Approaching Opposite Direction or Moving in the Same Direction
Rear Antenna: Receding Opposite Direction or Approaching in the Same Direction
Easy-Track™ Range/Distance Bars Distances (in 100 yard increments) are continuously shown on a graphical display.
Red Bar matches with the Target/Strongest Signal Window (Left Window)
Yellow Bar matches with the Lock/Fastest Signal Window (Middle Window)
Numerical Range/Distance Windows:
Target Window (Left Window) and Lock/Fastest Window (Middle Window) alternate between Speed and Distance Readings
when speeds are Locked. Distance Readings are in Yards.
• Physical Size– Display and Readout
Combined Display and CPU: 1.7” High x 6.5” Wide X 5.25” Deep
Separate Display Only: 1.7” High x 6.5” Wide x 1.5” Deep
Separate CPU Only: 1.7” High x 6.5” Wide x 3.75” Deep
• Antenna
Physical Size: 2.75” Dia. ( 3.5” Dia. at the waterproof seal) x 4.625” Long Weight: 12 oz.
Housing: All aluminum housing with waterproof polycarbonate radome cover incorporating O-ring seals
Frequency: K-band 24.125 GHz +/- 50 MHz
Type: Circularly polarized with seamless conical horn and Rexolite microwave lens
Source: Solid-state Gunn-effect diode transmitter with a nominal output power level of 2 to 30 mW
Power Density: Radiated power is less than 2 mW/cm² at 5 cm

GNBRETT vs The MFR of the product

here are some specs for LIDAR - take note of the well UNDER one mile range for laser...

S® LIDAR SPECIFICATIONS
Operational:
Type: Handheld Lidar offering Tracking mode, Single Shot mode, and Time/Distance mode.
Acquisition Time: Less than .4 second
Nominal Range : Minimum < 5 feet (1.5 meters)
Maximum > 4000 feet (1200 meters)
Range Accuracy: less than or equal to 1 foot (1 meter)
Speed Measure: 1 mph to 299 mph (1.6 km/h to 481 km/h)
Speed Accuracy: +1 mph, –1 mph (+2.0 km/h, –2.0 km/h)
Test/Alignment mode: Enter using the TEST key and the Trigger. Used to test Hud alignment using audio tone.
Metric Operation: Setup menu selectable
Lidar trigger modes: Setup menu selectable:
1. Constant trigger depression for constant XMIT
2. Separate trigger depressions to start/stop XMIT
Time/Dist. trigger mode: Separate trigger depressions when target enters and exits speed zone
Inclement Weather mode:Suppresses target returns from targets closer than approximately 250 ft to reduce interference from rain, fog, and snow
Remote Trigger: Remote trigger signal available through I/O Port
Target Speed Tone: Variable audio tone corresponding to target speed. A fast target generates a higher tone and a slow target generates a lower tone
Target Return Tone: No tone when beam is off target; tone repetition increases as beam moves into target and return signal quality increases
Switching Output: I/O Port signal for operation of external devices (i.e.: a camera) Toggles when speed exceeds speed signal setting
I/O Signals: Ext. Trigger, Switch Out, Tx, Rx, Gnd, and Switched battery voltage.
Physical
Dimensions: 9.9” Height, 6.0” Length, and 4.2” Width
21.8 cm Height, 15.3 cm Length, 10.7 cm Width
Weight: Wt with Battery Handle - 3.8 lbs (1.72 kg)
Wt with Cigarette Handle - 3.0 pounds (1.36 kg)
Housing: Metal case with rubber end caps
Shoulder Stock: Accessory shoulder stock is available
Input Voltage Range: Battery Handle: 6.4V to 9.0V @ 400 ma. nominal
Low voltage inhibit activates between 5.7V and 6.2V
Cigarette Handle: 7.5V to 16.0V @270 ma. nominal
Low voltage inhibit activates between 6.5V and 7.2V
Low Voltage Inhibit: Inhibits all readings while input voltage is below the low voltage inhibit level
Low Voltage Standby: After 10 seconds of inactivity (unit not transmitting), power consumption is reduced to 63% of nominal
Input Power Protection: Solid state automatically resettable fuse
Environmental: -30 to +60 C, operating
-40 to +85 C, non-operating
Humidity Protection: +37 C, 90% Relative Humidity, 8 hours minimum, operating
Additional Resistance: Dust, water, and impact
EMI: RFI icon indicates that the unit is in a high EMI field. No false readings when the unit is subjected to Electromagnetic Interference from vehicle alternator, ignition, air conditioner/heater motor, windshield wiper motor, Police FM transceiver, and Citizen Band AM transceiver
Tripod Mount: Female ¼ - 20 closed end nut on right side of case
I/O Connector: Standard 6-pin I.O. connector on right side of case
Transmitter & Receiver:
Operating Wavelength: 905 ± 10 nm Peak @ 25° C
Spectral Bandwidth: 5 ± 3 nm FWHM
Laser Type: MOCVD InGaAs Stacked Array Pulsed Laser Diode
Eye Safety: FDA/CDRH CLASS 1 Laser Device (Rated Eyesafe)
Pwr. Output & Density: TBD (meets FDA/CDRH regulations)
Pulse Width: < 30 nsec.
Pulse Repetition Rate: Fixed, 130 Hz (±0.1 % at 11.04 VDC)
Beam Divergence: < 3 ± 0.5 mrad FWHM
Optical Design Type: Bistatic (dual aperture)
HUD
Targeting: Illuminated Pinpoint, keyboard adjustable intensity.
Range and Speed Data: 7-Digit (7-segment) with ± LED display with keyboard adjustable intensity
PANEL
Display: 8-Character (7-segment) with ± LCD display with keyboard controlled backlight
Display Clear: Activates prior to new measurement (with depression of trigger)
Power-On Self Test: Circuit elements tested, timing accuracy verified, and all display elements illuminated. Errors indicated by beep code.
Speed Display Lock: Manual control (auto lock of speed and range with release of trigger)
Controls: Polycarbonate overlay covering backlit (with LEDs) push button switches
SWITCH DEFINITION
TRIGGER: Setup Menu Selectable:
(Lidar mode) 1. Constant trigger depression for constant Xmit
2. Separate trigger depressions start/stop Xmit
TRIGGER: Separate trigger depressions when target enters and
(time/dist mode) exits speed zone
PWR: Rear Panel switch toggles main power ON/OFF
TEST: Performs a complete self-test
HUD Light: Toggles the HUD intensity from low to high through six levels when pressed
SPEED/RANGE: Used to select Tracking mode, Single Shot mode, Inclement Weather mode, and to toggle between SPEED only, RANGE only, and simultaneous SPEED and RANGE display. Used to exit from MIN, MAX, and TIME/DIST modes.
PANEL LIGHT: Toggles both the LCD backlight and the keyboard backlight ON and OFF
AUDIO: Used to adjust the volume of the speaker in 4 steps
TIME/DIST: Selects TIME/DIST mode
MAX: Used in TIME/DIST mode to display/update maximum range
MIN: Used in TIME/DIST mode to display/update minimum range
DISPLAY MESSAGES
Enn: This message indicates that a measurement error has occurred
PASS: This message (with “happy tone”) indicates

Oh I have no doubt that a cop would violate the rules when it meets their needs:rolleyes:

I am not one of the folks you describe, but I pity your anger, sir. I truly do. I hope you will look in the mirror and do a self-examination. Your anger shows through with resounding ugliness, and I would truly hope you can resolve your issues.

I am not one of the folks you describe, but I pity your anger, sir. I truly do. I hope you will look in the mirror and do a self-examination. Your anger shows through with resounding ugliness, and I would truly hope you can resolve your issues.

Abuse of power should anger all honorable people with traditional American values but I fail to see how you came to your stated conclusion based on what I wrote here???

Stating the obvious truths are often deemed politically incorrect and that is how we wind up with poor decision making. Shunning truth in favor of a non confrontational atmosphere is to welcome ignorance.

Having said that I question your objectivity here. It is your colleague that got ugly with me!!! It was the one acting as if he is a cop, I assume Brett is a cop, that copped an attitude and started making abusive overtones toward me and I answered with restraint considering the things he said about me. My first post to this thread just said a RD in my area will just let ya know you have been clocked because it is all instant on - no good 99% of the time.

Now maybe you would like to try to show, as you claim, that you are not like the cops I mentioned but then you have already said I have angry, ugly, issues so your bias has already presented itself so that mirror you want me to look in should be used by YOU FIRST

Unsubscribed.........................

InternetToughGuy.jpg

Oh I have no doubt that a cop would violate the rules when it meets their needs:rolleyes:

On occasion those things happen but i sure as hell would not want to be a cop chasing scum bags that try to sue you after you catch them. Theyre all tough guys till their caught. Keep in mind by committing a crime you actually gain a bunch of rights in this country. The legal system is a ****ing joke from all the dick bag lawyers looking for loopholes to prevent mother phuckers like OJ from getting convicted. He may not have done it but he was no doubt standing within a few feet of the murder when it happened. There are way more people getting away with serious crimes than wrongful convictions.

On occasion those things happen but i sure as hell would not want to be a cop chasing scum bags that try to sue you after you catch them. Theyre all tough guys till their caught. Keep in mind by committing a crime you actually gain a bunch of rights in this country. The legal system is a ****ing joke from all the dick bag lawyers looking for loopholes to prevent mother phuckers like OJ from getting convicted. He may not have done it but he was no doubt standing within a few feet of the murder when it happened. There are way more people getting away with serious crimes than wrongful convictions.

That situation is also frustrating and something to anger all. However a cop should not lower themselves to the same wrongs that permit a criminal from gaining any benefit ESPECIALLY if it means bending any rules that are contrary to the Constitution of the US. Actually the criminal getting over on the system is within the law in doing so even if we all decide it is morally wrong - so it really is not the same wrongs like I said.

Many people say the nice guy finishes last...or no good deed goes un-punished. I say there is no need to stop good deeds just because one has not benefited from the same kind acts. What I'm trying to say is that it is a cops job to deal with the idiots - the trick is to not become one thru exposure.

Our system of jurisprudence is based on the principal that it is better for a 1,000 guilty to go free then to wrongly convict one innocent. No matter how much the cop is so sure the man they have is dirty, to bend the rules to get'em cheapens the entire system...the end does NOT justify the means.

here are some specs for LIDAR - take note of the well UNDER one mile range for laser...

S® LIDAR SPECIFICATIONS
Operational:
Type: Handheld Lidar offering Tracking mode, Single Shot mode, and Time/Distance mode.
Acquisition Time: Less than .4 second
Nominal Range : Minimum < 5 feet (1.5 meters)
Maximum > 4000 feet (1200 meters)
Range Accuracy: less than or equal to 1 foot (1 meter)
Speed Measure: 1 mph to 299 mph (1.6 km/h to 481 km/h)
Speed Accuracy: +1 mph, –1 mph (+2.0 km/h, –2.0 km/h)
Test/Alignment mode: Enter using the TEST key and the Trigger. Used to test Hud alignment using audio tone.
Metric Operation: Setup menu selectable
Lidar trigger modes: Setup menu selectable:
1. Constant trigger depression for constant XMIT
2. Separate trigger depressions to start/stop XMIT
Time/Dist. trigger mode: Separate trigger depressions when target enters and exits speed zone
Inclement Weather mode:Suppresses target returns from targets closer than approximately 250 ft to reduce interference from rain, fog, and snow
Remote Trigger: Remote trigger signal available through I/O Port
Target Speed Tone: Variable audio tone corresponding to target speed. A fast target generates a higher tone and a slow target generates a lower tone
Target Return Tone: No tone when beam is off target; tone repetition increases as beam moves into target and return signal quality increases
Switching Output: I/O Port signal for operation of external devices (i.e.: a camera) Toggles when speed exceeds speed signal setting
I/O Signals: Ext. Trigger, Switch Out, Tx, Rx, Gnd, and Switched battery voltage.
Physical
Dimensions: 9.9” Height, 6.0” Length, and 4.2” Width
21.8 cm Height, 15.3 cm Length, 10.7 cm Width
Weight: Wt with Battery Handle - 3.8 lbs (1.72 kg)
Wt with Cigarette Handle - 3.0 pounds (1.36 kg)
Housing: Metal case with rubber end caps
Shoulder Stock: Accessory shoulder stock is available
Input Voltage Range: Battery Handle: 6.4V to 9.0V @ 400 ma. nominal
Low voltage inhibit activates between 5.7V and 6.2V
Cigarette Handle: 7.5V to 16.0V @270 ma. nominal
Low voltage inhibit activates between 6.5V and 7.2V
Low Voltage Inhibit: Inhibits all readings while input voltage is below the low voltage inhibit level
Low Voltage Standby: After 10 seconds of inactivity (unit not transmitting), power consumption is reduced to 63% of nominal
Input Power Protection: Solid state automatically resettable fuse
Environmental: -30 to +60 C, operating
-40 to +85 C, non-operating
Humidity Protection: +37 C, 90% Relative Humidity, 8 hours minimum, operating
Additional Resistance: Dust, water, and impact
EMI: RFI icon indicates that the unit is in a high EMI field. No false readings when the unit is subjected to Electromagnetic Interference from vehicle alternator, ignition, air conditioner/heater motor, windshield wiper motor, Police FM transceiver, and Citizen Band AM transceiver
Tripod Mount: Female ¼ - 20 closed end nut on right side of case
I/O Connector: Standard 6-pin I.O. connector on right side of case
Transmitter & Receiver:
Operating Wavelength: 905 ± 10 nm Peak @ 25° C
Spectral Bandwidth: 5 ± 3 nm FWHM
Laser Type: MOCVD InGaAs Stacked Array Pulsed Laser Diode
Eye Safety: FDA/CDRH CLASS 1 Laser Device (Rated Eyesafe)
Pwr. Output & Density: TBD (meets FDA/CDRH regulations)
Pulse Width: < 30 nsec.
Pulse Repetition Rate: Fixed, 130 Hz (±0.1 % at 11.04 VDC)
Beam Divergence: < 3 ± 0.5 mrad FWHM
Optical Design Type: Bistatic (dual aperture)
HUD
Targeting: Illuminated Pinpoint, keyboard adjustable intensity.
Range and Speed Data: 7-Digit (7-segment) with ± LED display with keyboard adjustable intensity
PANEL
Display: 8-Character (7-segment) with ± LCD display with keyboard controlled backlight
Display Clear: Activates prior to new measurement (with depression of trigger)
Power-On Self Test: Circuit elements tested, timing accuracy verified, and all display elements illuminated. Errors indicated by beep code.
Speed Display Lock: Manual control (auto lock of speed and range with release of trigger)
Controls: Polycarbonate overlay covering backlit (with LEDs) push button switches
SWITCH DEFINITION
TRIGGER: Setup Menu Selectable:
(Lidar mode) 1. Constant trigger depression for constant Xmit
2. Separate trigger depressions start/stop Xmit
TRIGGER: Separate trigger depressions when target enters and
(time/dist mode) exits speed zone
PWR: Rear Panel switch toggles main power ON/OFF
TEST: Performs a complete self-test
HUD Light: Toggles the HUD intensity from low to high through six levels when pressed
SPEED/RANGE: Used to select Tracking mode, Single Shot mode, Inclement Weather mode, and to toggle between SPEED only, RANGE only, and simultaneous SPEED and RANGE display. Used to exit from MIN, MAX, and TIME/DIST modes.
PANEL LIGHT: Toggles both the LCD backlight and the keyboard backlight ON and OFF
AUDIO: Used to adjust the volume of the speaker in 4 steps
TIME/DIST: Selects TIME/DIST mode
MAX: Used in TIME/DIST mode to display/update maximum range
MIN: Used in TIME/DIST mode to display/update minimum range
DISPLAY MESSAGES
Enn: This message indicates that a measurement error has occurred
PASS: This message (with “happy tone”) indicates

LOl..... what, you think because you copy and paste some info from the internet that you actually know what your talking about? And now your saying that K band is more sensitive then KA band....lol Dude, stop embarassing yourself.

Have you gone out onto the road and tested it yourself? Exactly, no you haven't. Do you have training, practical experience and certification in the operation of a Laser or Radar? exactly, no you dont. Practical application of an instrument is what I speak from, Not some copy and pasted internet article.....:rolleyes: Get a clue.

All of that might mean something if you knew the difference between Lidar and Radar. Which you apparently do not...:rolleyes: Lidar uses (laser light) not (Radio waves). Radar uses (Radio waves).

Radar waves are what our national defense system uses to detect missles from hundreds if not thousands of miles away. Radar can detect moving objects at extreme distances. Get ur facts straight before you continue to make a fool out of yourself and post something you have already displayed you know nothing about. Again, stop talking out of ur azz.

Try commenting on something you have personally experimented with yourself next time vs. Googling your answer...lol

"Without data, you're just another guy with an opinion"

LOl..... what, you think because you copy and paste some info from the internet that you actually know what your talking about? And now your saying that K band is more sensitive then KA band....lol Dude, stop embarassing yourself.

Have you gone out onto the road and tested it yourself? Exactly, no you haven't. Do you have training, practical experience and certification in the operation of a Laser or Radar? exactly, no you dont. Practical application of an instrument is what I speak from, Not some copy and pasted internet article.....:rolleyes: Get a clue.

All of that might mean something if you knew the difference between Lidar and Radar. Which you apparently do not...:rolleyes: Lidar uses (laser light) not (Radio waves). Radar uses (Radio waves).

Radar waves are what our national defense system uses to detect missles from hundreds if not thousands of miles away. Radar can detect moving objects at extreme distances. Get ur facts straight before you continue to make a fool out of yourself and post something you have already displayed you know nothing about. Again, stop talking out of ur azz.

Try commenting on something you have personally experimented with yourself next time vs. Googling your answer...lol

I am sorry that google enabled me to so quickly supply information from the manufacturer that confirms what I have already said, and I never said K is more sensitive then Ka so no embarrassment there - well at least on my part.

So show us where I confused LIDAR with Radar since you also accused me of some failure there. And while you are at it, please do tell how you know so much about my certifications, or lack there of.

The "copy and paste from the Internet" defense is only good when you do not have anything substantial to say; although the National Radar Defense thing in a speed gun thread was kinda funny. However, when one chooses such a defense it would be better directed at a copy and pasted blog, not specifications from the mfr. Or are we to understand that you know more about the laser and radar guns the engineers that design and build these things?

No I just know more about it then you.

How do you know? This is the second time I asked you this - why do you not answer?

Perhaps you do not answer for the same reason you chose to ignore challenges I made in my last post calling you on the accusations and conclusions YOU MADE.

Now are you gonna take responsibility for those comments YOU MADE or will you keep digging?

Here it is again:

I am sorry that google enabled me to so quickly supply information from the manufacturer that confirms what I have already said, and I never said K is more sensitive then Ka so no embarrassment there - well at least on my part.

So show us where I confused LIDAR with Radar since you also accused me of some failure there. And while you are at it, please do tell how you know so much about my certifications, or lack there of.

The "copy and paste from the Internet" defense is only good when you do not have anything substantial to say; although the National Radar Defense thing in a speed gun thread was kinda funny. However, when one chooses such a defense it would be better directed at a copy and pasted blog, not specifications from the mfr. Or are we to understand that you know more about the laser and radar guns the engineers that design and build these things?

I wonder what your superiors and the citizens in your area would think about you if they were to read this thread.

How do you know? This is the second time I asked you this - why do you not answer?

Perhaps you do not answer for the same reason you chose to ignore challenges I made in my last post calling you on the accusations and conclusions YOU MADE.

Now are you gonna take responsibility for those comments YOU MADE or will you keep digging?

Here it is again:

I wonder what your superiors and the citizens in your area would think about you if they were to read this thread.

It's simple. I speak from experience. You speak from what you Googled.

It's simple. I speak from experience. You speak from what you Googled.

Neither you or I have established our expertise so I will just ask again and include all the stuff you keep ignoring...My googleing simply provided mfr specs that shows somebody here is wrong about some things. I would not expect the fine TB.C members to just take my word for it because I typed it and posted it on the message board...like you did.

How do you know? This is the second [make that thrid] time I asked you this - why do you not answer?

Here it is again: