Rack & pinion…worth it?

toofastforyou

2FAST4U
I'm having my car restored and I'm wondering if it's worth installing a rack-and-pinion steering system?

Claude.

I'm sure installing a rack unit on a Gbody is no simple task. But no doubt the car would feel more modern.

saves a little over 40lbs with the shortened manual rack (TRZ - flaming river) , the power rack would be nice but the power unit is longer (shorter tierods ) which increases bump steer and pidgeons the front wheels when the tires lift on launch
i did trz rack (same as quartermax shortened rack) trz mounting kit , trz 1.5" drop f style arms , billet steering arms (has shorter length to increase turn radius), heim ends and spacer to decrease bumpsteer (did not really need the trz bumpsteer kit due to where i mounted the rack and the final ride height ) ,trz chromoly intermediate steering shaft and pivots ..shaft just clears the TA headers and didnt need to notch out frame. champion alternator only bracket

pic is of the setup positioned where i wanted it before i welded the trz mounts to the frame

0219151502a.jpg

heres finished with the frame mounts installed

0219151640.jpg

Last edited:
Why are you interested in the rack?
Feel?
Weight?

I replaced the steering shaft with rag joints with a Jeep solid shaft and felt much improvement.

Dave