any advice?

• turbo trans am tech

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • tech arena

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
victory for tta

Well first of all i want to thank everyone for their advice. I learned alot last night on the things i need to work on both with my driving and a few mods needed to my car. The main thing is i beat his corvette all 3 times i raced him. The track was really slick and we were both getting horrible 60ft (2.5). I was traping in the 1/8 77 or 78 mph and the vette 80mph. I need tires and more boost. I was only running 16lbs. Everyone was loving the fact that my V6 was beating the mighty ls1. TTA ALL THE WAY!!!

PS. with 77 or 78 mph what kind of 1/4 mile time would i get?

103 is about right for 1/4. You normally gain 25 mph or so between the 1/8 and 1/4.

CONGRATS AND GOOD JOB! :) :)

Told ya!

Torque Rules!

Bob

flyc2a,

Great job. I would have been there to see it, if a prior commitment didn't run 1 1/2 hrs late.:( If you ever want to meet at a local track, The Q, Barona, or Carlsbad, shoot me an email.

Just ordered nitto 555r drag radials. I am going back this friday cuz he wants a rematch. This time he wont stand a chance with me leaving at 4or5 psi. Bye bye mighty vette!! If you come up there let me know

If you were cutting 2.5 second 60's..........get ready for 1.8 to 1.9 '60's. Probably even lower once you get the hang of it.

This could really get ugly on the rematch!!:D

Now start launching that baby with E-brake!;)

1.6x - 1.7x 60 ft times depending on tune and prep.

He will cry like a little girl.:p

thinking of unbolting my exhaust. I heard it was like 4 bolts and just slide it over and bolt 2 back together. Any advice on this. Will i get over boost and detonate or create knock? Is stock injectors and fuel press reg good enough to handle a uncorked exhaust? I always run 100 octane so i think i will be ok. My scan tool is on the way but wont be here in time for the race on friday. Any advice?

is it that easy to unbolt it? Were do you unbolt it from? right off the down pipe?

If you dont have a scan tool, dont race it. Go the next week-end when it arrives. NEVER FLY BLIND!

CONGRATULATIONS!

If you unbolt the exhaust where your talking about thats after the cat anotherwords the back side of it.It should help some but not near as much as if there was nothing but down pipe.A test pipe with a cutout would be perfect if you dont have a sniffer test in your state.....
Your also gonna need a fuel pressure regulator to help tune the car.As you turn the boost up the demand for fuel will increase.More boost+good fuel+scantool(A MUST)+traction=low ET's.
Seat time plays an important part and knowing how to tune come with time.GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY LS1 HUNTING!

WES

Originally posted by flyc2a
thinking of unbolting my exhaust. I heard it was like 4 bolts and just slide it over and bolt 2 back together. Any advice on this. Will i get over boost and detonate or create knock? Is stock injectors and fuel press reg good enough to handle a uncorked exhaust? I always run 100 octane so i think i will be ok. My scan tool is on the way but wont be here in time for the race on friday. Any advice?

Backside of the cat is four bolts. If I recall right after the flex pipe is a slip fitting or bell flange and exhaust can be uncorked prior to cat, can't remember exactly. 12 yrs ago I had an exhaust shop flange the inlet to my factory cat and a test pipe too, for easy swapping, so I'm a little shady on the factory setup. But when you do get the cat off you WILL see some gains.

Entire stock fuel system took my car to 113.5 mph 1/4, so injectors/FPR is fine were your at, at least for now:D

I'll talk to the boss and the finance dept., might see you Friday.;)

i have decided not to unbolt until i get my scan tool and a real test pipe. I have a chance to get a atr pitbull chip for 30 shipped. My cousin has this chip in his bone stock 4k orginal miles tta. It is a really aggressive chip. I noticed a big difference with his car. I heard alot of people dont like using them cuz they have alot of timing. Is this a good deal and would this chip be fine for my stock car with good gas (100). My thrasher chip isnt nearly like that ATR Pitbull in my cousins car. Why dont people like these chips??? I will get my nittos on wed and be installed thursday....just in time for our rematch on friday. :)

i have decided not to unbolt until i get my scan tool and a real test pipe. I have a chance to get a atr pitbull chip for 30 shipped. My cousin has this chip in his bone stock 4k orginal miles tta. It is a really aggressive chip. I noticed a big difference with his car. I heard alot of people dont like using them cuz they have alot of timing. Is this a good deal and would this chip be fine for my stock car with good gas (100). My thrasher chip isnt nearly like that ATR Pitbull in my cousins car. Why dont people like these chips??? I will get my nittos on wed and be installed thursday....just in time for our rematch on friday. :)

ATR was way too aggressive in my car, even with 100 octane. The Thrasher ran better times, even with just 93 octane. But that's just my car as it has never liked timing in any chip I've tried. Stock or modified.

Kinda the opposite of my car, as I run high timing with low boost on a stock turbo. Granted I have never actually tried running a low timing chip but have had pretty good results with 24* - 26* chips and 18psi boost. The higher the timing the easier it is to get KR so you have to be very careful but IMHO you aren't going to make all that much power pushing a turbo beyond its efficiency range and running low timing. If you have a turbo at its most efficient boost level, tune in some more timing untill you start to get KR and you will probably be making the most power.

Of course it is different in every car as well as altitude, fuel, and overall tune also play a role so there is no simple answer to what will work best in your car.

If your learning to tune the car, you have no business with an agressive chip.. Last I checked, there are no more TTA crankshafts to be found.. in the process of your learning you make a mistake, the lower timing chips are way more forgiving. With a high timing chip, insufficient octane..you can hurt the motor.

I dont know your level of expertise in keeping one of these motors together..but if you remember its a 6 cyl cast crank, cast piston , 2 bolt main block, on cast rods.. detonation will crunch bearings, pop head gaskets, blow holes into pistons.

They are great motors, lord knows I have 550+ passes on mine.. never hurt it.. others..well.. its a research, learning thing.

Save your 30, get a thrasher 92 chip, and a scanmaster..and figure out why it knocks..and how to keep it from knocking.. learn these..you will go very fast in short order. I actually had a t92 and a t108 for the track when I started. If I ever had to do it again, thrasher 92 chip, 340 fuel pump, bleeder, MSD 50's, RJC plate, 160 stat, cat bypass w/cutout, nittos and an alky kit..I guarantee 12.0-12.2's all day long assumming a 1.7 60 foot. 110-112 MPH

12.08 with a stock turbo, stock injectors, stock IC on alky w/93 & nitto's. Nothing special, Mike had his 11.7's on the stock turbo..bunch of TTA ran 11's on stock stuff..

Your homework begins..go learn how not to break it..

1BadTTA.. I disagree on high timing, only once you've maxed your turbo out on a low timing chip..then start adding timing. High timing chips will ping at lower boost levels, load, etc.. its not the way to go..on the street. In my opinion.. :D