any advice?

• turbo trans am tech

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • tech arena

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

flyc2a

I have an 89 tta with 18k original miles. I bought the car with a k&n and a thrasher chip. I dont know what kind of thrasher it is though but i passed california smog test with it. I added a power plate and 160 therostat. I need advice on lauching it. I am going to race my buddie at the track this weekend with a bone stock m6 02 vette. He talks so much trash on how fast his car is and i think that if i can learn how to drive my car i will have a chance. Any advice on what might happen or any last min. tips?

Do burnout with slicks ,pull E-brake back as far as it will go, step on brake pedal holding it hard after pumping it a few times, step on gas to build boost, release E-brake as you release foot brake, shift from 2nd to 3rd at 5200rpm and leave in 3rd through traps (no overdrive):)

Do you have adj. wastegate?
Slicks?
Race gas?
Scantool?
Extra 02 sensor?
Fuel pressure reg.?

need more info.......

Bo

It may be too short notice to master the e-brake launching technique. Here's what I would do.

1. Try to get the stickiest tires you can before the race.

2. Heat the tires up nicely befoer the race. Not a John Force burnout, but make sure the tires are clean and hot.

3. Put the car in 2nd gear and stage. Put your brake foot down hard as you can and try to build as much boost as possible while at the line. Hopefully, somewhere between 3 to 5 pounds of boost.

4. When you launch, simply let your foot off the brake pedal, and gradually put your right foot on the floor, don't go to the floor immediately. I have better luck with this technique. When you get to about the 60 foot mark, or a little farther, have your foot all the way down. I get consistent 1.75 60' times with this technique. And my car is a mild car. That is using Hoosier quick time pros.

5. Remember, you are launching in 2nd gear, so let the car shift into 2nd on it's own. Then like Bo said, shift into third at about 5200 rpm.

Traction upon launch is critical. You need to get a holeshot on this guy if you can. The 'vette will pull hard on the top end, so you need to make it up on the launch. Don't forget to put the highest octane fuel you can in the TTA. Watch your knock gauge. No race is worth a thrashed motor.

Go out and practice your launch technique this week before you race him.

If he can drive, he'll get you.

Since this is a basically stock car with street tires. Do a minimal burnout, you are just cleaning the tires off. Roll up to the line, bring the rpm up to about 2000 and go. You should be able to click off low 1.9x short times. I could do high 1.8x on Firestone's. Either leave it in drive or shift it yourself. Shifting around 5000.

If you guys are close, try a paper clip and lock the converter on the line. It'll be good for a couple tenths and a couple mph.

Until you get a scantool, run 100 octane to be safe. Find out what Thrasher you have by reading the sticker. Post what it is and somebody will tell you what it is.

All good advice, but your forgetting one thing...

Boost!!

ALL you really need to do is crank the boost up to about 20-23. Race gas will work for you, and your good to go!

I'm ASSUMING you have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. If not, try about 17-19 psi. Watch for knock on your scantool and go up until you tickle the knock sensor then back off a hair. I have managed to run 19 without an adj. fuel regulator, it just depends on how rich the chip was made.

If you were to get good traction and run 22-23 psi you should have no trouble at all.

If you had a race chip it would be an easy win.

Good luck.

Bob

Originally posted by BM Computer Src
All good advice, but your forgetting one thing...

Boost!!

ALL you really need to do is crank the boost up to about 20-23. Race gas will work for you, and your good to go!

I'm ASSUMING you have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. If not, try about 17-19 psi. Watch for knock on your scantool and go up until you tickle the knock sensor then back off a hair. I have managed to run 19 without an adj. fuel regulator, it just depends on how rich the chip was made.

If you were to get good traction and run 22-23 psi you should have no trouble at all.

If you had a race chip it would be an easy win.

Good luck.

Bob

I agree with all that. BUT, I have beaten a stock '02 'vette with only 16 psi and race gas. We were both running 13 flat~high 12 range. We were basically running identical times at the track, I just got him off the line, I had better traction.

BUT, Bob is right........more boost.....more spankage potential!:)

I Have 5 gal. of 100 octane for tommorow night. I dont race with out it. I put my car on my buddies scan tool and i get no nock with good gas (100). I really appreciate all the advice. I can luanch on like 3lbs and usually get like 17 or so in 1ST gear and like 16 in all the rest. I raced an A4 98 z28 with a few basic mods and i beat him everytime up until like 95 mph then he would catch up. During those races i left it in OD, i think that holding it in 2ND gear till 5100 or 5200 will help out with that alot. I was driving my car yesterday and it feels strong, cant even hook up from a 30 mph punch!! My tires are crap!!. Should i lower the tire press? They are at 35 psi. Thanks for all the info guys, it is much appreciated!!! Any advice on a better chip for my car? Maybe to get a little more timing and maybe a little more boost?

If you can't get better tires. I would lower the psi to around 20-22 psi.
The Thrasher 92 seems to be a good chip for your type of car.

You mentioned the Camaro pulling you hard on the top end, the 'vette will do th same thing.

Go practice your launches today!!:cool:

Put in a lockup switch for the torque converter and it WILL pull MUCH harder up top. Its that noticable.

The switch takes maybe 5 minutes to install. Look it up on gnttype.org. Its worth its weight in GOLD... 3 tenths and 3-4 MPH. It will stop them from gaining on you on the top end as much.

It grounds the F wire I believe on teh back of the ALDL terminal.

I will go and try and practice tonight, and i will look into that lock up switch. The one thing i have going for me is that we are only racing 1/8 mile. All the tracks in san diego are 1/8 mile. It sucks but we take it how we can get it. So i think tonight if i can get the launches down pretty well, i will beat him tommorow. One of the times i raced that A4 98 z28, i left on like 3 lbs and left hard on him. I have been trying to duplicate that launch but havent had any luck. I will try again tonight and let you know what was the out come.

Hopefully you will get a few runs in before you race the 'vette. If you bring the tires down to about 20-22psi it will definately help. Also, you will be able to launch with more boost at the track than on the street. As for going full throttle, it will probably take almost a full second from the launch to WOT slowly pressing harder (also, make sure you get WOT with the pedal and the floor mat isn't in the way, have someone press the pedal and see it you can move the throttle further under the hood). If you go WOT too quick it will get too rich and bog hurting spoolup.

Good luck as it should be a pretty close race but you do have the advantage in the 1/8th.

Originally posted by 1badTTA
If you go WOT too quick it will get too rich and bog hurting spoolup.

I've never heard of that or seen it...

The only reason you should not goto WOT imeadeately is you might blow the tires away. If you have sticky tires, give em hell! You should cut at least a 1.70 with drag radials, if you cant go practice until you can. :)

Bob

1/8 mile should be no problem at all as the LS1 is a back 1/8 miler.

As for tires, I'd leave them at street pressure. Real street tires need to be inflated or they start to cup. I always ran 32-33 in all the real street tires I've had. High 1.8x in both the TTA and my 96 WS6 6spd.

Just practice on the street and find out which launch technique works for you. Then do the exact same thing at the track and you should be golden. If the track is prepped, hit it a little harder.

You should have no problems at all being that its 1/8 mile race. Even if you were bone stock, you'd win that race :)

Good gas,more boost 18-19# or so with scantool,and lock the converter.Don't deflate your tires below 30-32 psi they will cup.If unsure of tread contact do a little burnout after lowering the pressure and see if you leave an even patch.Practice your launch if you can this may be the race winner.Most of all psych your buddy out so maybe he'll get the bad 60' or reaction time.Drag radials would help also.Good Luck and keep us posted!

Racing at Qualcomm I take it ? I assume you still have the cat on, since you mentioned your mods already. Uncork the exhaust before the cat when you get there, you should still stay under their 93 db limit. Well worth lying on your back for;)

I might just have to make a little road trip to see the mighty LS1 go down. ;)

I am racing at Qualcom, if you go tonight.....im sure i will be the only tta there so dont hesitate to come up to me and introduce yourself. I think i will lower my tire press. to 30psi. I have viper tires, anyone ever hear of them? I cant wait to see what happens. I really suck at the tree so i need to make a run or 2 before i run him. I hope to get in touch with all the buick t6 guys in san diego but havent had any luck. Hope to see you there.

The Vettes MPH a lot. you will need seat time..and better tires. Since you dont have the MPH the Vette does, you will need to concentrate on the 60 foot portion of the race. this will decide the winner. If both cars leave the same..same 60 foot..he's gonna walk on you. With some Nitto's, a race chip, some race gas 21 PSI boost..you'll kill him.

Start looking at your fuel system as the next upgrade.. along with valve springs possibly.

Lastly dont race the car in OD..you'll fry the tranny. In OD it drops line pressures and lets it slip even more. If you wanna play, start in 2nd then shift to 3rd at 4800 or leave it in "D".

New plugs, fuel filter, tuneup are in order. Put fresh oil in the car.. and watch your knock guage.. knock will destroy the V6 in short order.

HTH