Racetronix Dual Fan Wiring ?how do you get high/low speed ????

National Newb

I bought a new racetronix dual fan harness that is advertised to have the High/low fan capability...

I understand they have independent circuits to make this option feasible...

BUT

Since many peoples "spal" and my summit dual fans are single speed.....

Was anyone able to wire them up to have both high and low speed????

I would really like to keep the two fan speeds in the car....

If so how????

Did you put the stock resistor in line????

Thanks all!!!!!

It would be far more practical if you used the low speed circuit to run one fan, and the high speed circuit to run them both.

I bought a new racetronix dual fan harness that is advertised to have the High/low fan capability...

I understand they have independent circuits to make this option feasible...

BUT

Since many peoples "spal" and my summit dual fans are single speed.....

Was anyone able to wire them up to have both high and low speed????

I would really like to keep the two fan speeds in the car....

If so how????

Did you put the stock resistor in line????

Thanks all!!!!!

1 - Did you post this query on our support forum?
2 - Did you buy this harness: Racetronix - Turbo Buick Dual Circuit Fan Harness

yep, posted on your forum too.....

yes bought that same harness

I think I figured it out on my own... I just bought a second stock fan resistor and will wire in so that each fan will have its own dedicated resistor on low speed , but full current on high...

will do a whole post on this and the fan setup when it is done and operational ... as I purchases dual 12" s blade fans from summit/jegs that fit like a glove...

Did you PM me asking about the fan wiring on the other board??

My experience with these cars and running a 160 tstat you are going to need high speed 95% of the time in the warmer months. And high speed for sure when running the A/C

The stock resistor added more amperage to the circuit to make low speed, 1 addition will raise that even more.

What radiator you running.

Running high speed all the time has no downsides.

These cars had 195 tstats stock. the high and low speed may come in to play when running that temp.

Lower the tstat temp 35 degrees and trying to maintain that temp realm then its a whole different story.

Either way good luck with it, so far so good with my Jegs fans.

Most of the Dual fan kits from the vendors that this harness was made to work with had Dual motor windings. One set energized would be slow speed the second set of windings would be high speed. The racetronix fan harness kit is very versatile and can be configured in many ways for any dual fan setup.

I have a new griffin aluminum 2 core that is 2.5" wide.... nice piece... and am running a slic with a added B&M stacked plate tranny cooler....

The only reason I wanted the slower speed was to prolong the life of the fans.... That full on/ off... full on type setup is more likely to burn out those fan motors as these jegs/summit fans are not spals.... if they start up slow then kick to high they should last longer. less of a wack on startup, but murphy's law usually prevails....

The altenator is not going to use more or less power with the resistors in place... the motors pull the same amount of amps either on high or "resisted" to a lower speed...

also, once the A/C goes on they will switch up to high anyway...

my car was running at 185-195 with a 160 t stat on a mild day...
. last year with the A/C on it was up to 230 -240 at idle :mad:

so... pulled the stock rad (which had no leaks but I am sure needed to be boiled out..) and the stock fan....

put in the griffin aluminum (with oil and tranny cooler) and an extra B&M stacked plate tranny cooler in front of the condenser, and fixed the stock airbox,,,,

will post the results in a week or so :confused: :rolleyes:

I hear ya on the fan motor life. My stock fan was still doing fine when I removed it after 7 years of service with the resistor jumped out. I think it boils down to the quality of the motors, the RC fans dont last and hopefully the Jegs ones will.

The low speed is due to the voltage drop from the Resistor in series with the fan(s).

Add a resistor to the circuit the total ohms (load) goes up and voltage goes down after each load. Therefore producing higher amps.

In a series circuit Total resistance/Rt is the sum of all individual resistances.

The only reason I wanted the slower speed was to prolong the life of the fans.... That full on/ off... full on type setup is more likely to burn out those fan motors as these jegs/summit fans are not spals.... if they start up slow then kick to high they should last longer. less of a wack on startup, but murphy's law usually prevails....

The motor bearings usually give out well before the motor brushes do.

The altenator is not going to use more or less power with the resistors in place... the motors pull the same amount of amps either on high or "resisted" to a lower speed...

The alternator puts out power. The draw on the alternator and engine load will be higher with the high speed fans on.

The fan motors will draw less current when resistors are wired in series with them. Current (electron flow) is a function of the supply voltage (electrical pressure) over the circuit resistance. (AMPS = VOLTS/OHMS). Some power (watts) will be dissipated across the resistor as heat. The power dissipated is a function of the current flowing through the resistor squared times the resistance itself. (WATTS = AMPS^2 x OHMS).

Dont forget about inductive reactance from the windings...

This has gotten carried away...LOL

yep, posted on your forum too..... yes bought that same harness

There is no post from you showing in our fan harness support forum?

Based on what you have been posting here and the replies you have been getting I recommend that you revisit the Racetronix support forum.

Jack :cool:

Dont forget about inductive reactance from the windings... This has gotten carried away...LOL

Since this is a DC load your 'inductance' comment is irrelevant to this application. The fan motor's start-up current is something to consider but since the Racetronix harness uses 40A HD relays, 10 gauge wire and 46A connectors there will not be any reliability issues.

It is important to use the proper terminology and understand ohms law here. People in this thread are throwing around words like draw, current, resistance etc. but their meaning and how they interrelate are quite obviously misunderstood based on what I have read here. Hopefully my posts have helped to clarify what will happen when adding series resistors to your fan motors.

Jack :cool:

There is no post from you showing in our fan harness support forum?

Racetronix > Racetronix Technical Support Forum > Main Forum
General Discussion
Welcome, National Newb.
You last visited: Yesterday at 12:04 PM
Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 2.

User CP FAQ Members List Calendar New Posts Search Quick Links Log Out

General Discussion For General Posting

Show Threads Show Posts
Advanced Search

Quick Links
Today's Posts
Mark Forums Read
Open Buddy List
User Control Panel
Edit Signature
Edit Profile
Edit Options
Miscellaneous
Private Messages
Subscribed Threads
My Profile
Who's Online

Go to Page...

Threads in Forum : General Discussion Forum Tools Search this Forum
Rating Thread / Thread Starter Last Post Replies Views
Dual Fan Hi - low speed option
National Newb 07-29-2009 11:38 AM by National Newb 0 3

no fuel pressure
gnjim 07-21-2009 02:58 PM
by gnjim 0 3
Congratulations
Gadgetman 06-10-2009 12:32 PM
by Just a Six?? 1 35
test
RX-Nuwan 10-06-2008 12:16 PM
by RX-Nuwan 2 33
On your way!
SnapperHead 05-07-2007 05:19 PM
by Racetronix 2 56

Display Options Currently Active Users Moderators
Showing threads 1 to 5 of 5 1 (1 members & 0 guests) Moderators : 1
Sorted By Thread Title Last Post Time Thread Start Time Number of Replies Number of Views Thread Starter Thread Rating Sort Order Ascending Descending
From The Last Day Last 2 Days Last Week Last 10 Days Last 2 Weeks Last Month Last 45 Days Last 2 Months Last 75 Days Last 100 Days Last Year Beginning
National Newb Racetronix

Forum Tools
Post a New Thread
Mark This Forum Read
Subscribe to This Forum
View Parent Forum

Search this Forum

Show Threads Show Posts
Advanced Search

No new posts Hot thread with no new posts
Thread is closed You have posted in this thread