Race gas

buickGTP

what gas do you recomend on a stage II for 14 to 17 lbs of boost (2.1 Bar absolute)
0r 62 in. Mercury Has anyone run VP motorsport 109 oxegenated fuel
Thanks
Steve

Steve,

I haven't run that VP gas myself but it would have more than enough octane. This would depend of course on your static compression ratio. If it's less than 9.5 to 1 it should work well.

Neal

Why would you need race gas at 17 psi though? Unless your trying to run it on 87 octane? Nothing wrong with race gas but you will have to run more timing or you will make less HP. C-16 is the way to go:) or get a Razor alky kit, 8's on pump gas ain;t shabby!

Norb,

I was assuming that this was for some sort of roadrace application based on Steve's user name. I agree that if the static compression is around 8-1 you should be able to run 15 psi boost with conservative timing on pump gas. However in a roadrace application you will see boost for longer duration than in a street or drag car. Charge air temp would more than likely be higher due to intercooler heat soak. I wasn't sure what the static compression ratio is. I figure the additional octane can't hurt.

Neal

.....Nothing wrong with race gas but you will have to run more timing or you will make less HP. C-16 is the way to go:) .......!

I am with norbs on this one, I do NOT trust unleaded race gas even if it is "claimed" to be 109 octane, why take a chance?

With my car I can run 9.80 in the 1/4 mile at 18 psi and low timing, about 21 degrees. Sunoco Red which is 116 octane is always in my tank. ;)

I had some experience with 110 unleaded race gas a few years ago, the car did not like it at all, unless they have changed something I don;t think I would use it again. Neal I agree for added safety it can't hurt.

The guy at VP said it produced 5 to 7 % more power than nonoxegenated fuels. The car is running 8.3 to 1 comp ratio
When it was a pro car they ran c-16. 750 HP was correct it is a road race car and thanks to all for ths great feed back.
steve

just a ? what about E85, cheaper than race fuel, and more octane than pump gas, and has good cooling characteristics

Wouldn't road racing result in a lot of air passing through the intercooler so as to not heat soak the I/C? I think I would go with front-mount and use mechanical fan and shroud from a hot air car. Should pull more air that electric fans. Just thinking out loud.

E85 would be great as suggested earlier since octane is 105 and it has a high latent heat of vaporization. This means that a lot of heat is required to evaporate the ethanol and that heat comes from the incoming air...result is lower intake temps!!!
Conrad

E85 is probably not allowed for his class of racing. I would stick with C-16 and not have to worry about detonation. If E-85 is allowed, that would be a better choice if your fuel system is up to the demands of alcohol.

I have run 100 octane on the street for several years and have run way more than 17 psi boost! It is not cheap but widely (somewhat) available here in NC. I run a CAS V1 FMIC.
Conrad

One thing i verified was that q16 was worth 6whp peak and about 4whp average over oxygenated 93 pump gas. This was on a 500whp application with back to back tests. I left the targets the same. If the tune was too rich on non oxy fuel and you switched to oxy fuel I could see a much more drastic increase in power.