Race gas at the turn of a switch?

Gmachine

I'm still trying to figure out how to do this! I would like to be able to drive around in street trim and with a few in-car adjustments be pumping race gas and running higher boost. I figure I can leave my fuel press. the same as I do now when running higher boost. leave the race chip in the ECM. Install a fuel cell for high octane w/ pump and return line. Somehow cut off the stock fuel delivery and open the race gas. with solenoids. Install a boost controller to turn it up. Just a thought. I'd love to be able to switch everything quickly for some fun runs. Any ideas or advice out there?

Ryan

I've seen someone with a dual system. He used an aux. fuel cell with an intank pump. He also had all the plumbing done with ball valves. Don't know how well it worked but it sure looked great.:)

I wish i could tell you how to do it, but my 87 grey car has a small fuel tank in the trunk for the race gas, a inline fuel pump and electric shut off valves to allow you to do just what your asking to do-

i just bought the car, and almost thinking of taking that entire setup out of the car because i dont trust inline fuel pumps-

would you be interested in waiting for it when i remove it?

BW

I have something that does the same thing with a lot less trouble and for a lot less money. I'm sure you heard of it. It's called diy alcohol injection.

Dual tanks, dual pumps, dual lines to a point, and perhaps the solenoid system from a Jaguar with fuel injection and dual tanks.

Might hold up the best to the high pressure systems we like to use. :)

Never tried it or priced it however.

Extra weight is a downside also.

Alky. Injection is a very good thing to try first. :cool:

I've got a Carter alky kit in my car now, but haven't had much luck with it. Maybe after I get the car back on the road I can go through it and fine tune it. It always seems to come in too slow and I just love how the car accelerates with the timing of a race chip.

Ryan

Wouldn't the high timing of the race chip make it so you would have to run very low boost on pump gas to prevent knock retard.Making the car actually slower on the street.Also youre fuel may be very rich due to setting the fp for high boost slowing it down even more .

And that being said how would you know when enough race gas has entered the system so as to be able to up the boost.I mean the lines from the trunk would be quite long and you wouldn't know if it was safe to up boost unless you plumbed the second system all the way to the fuel rail.

Also by the time you have added a second fuel tank, extra pumps, shutoff valves,and all that line would make the car at least 100 lbs heavyer.

Good luck you never know what you can invent if you put youre mind to it.Just pointing out some of the pitfalls you might encounter.

I've found that with my 009's I don't have to change my FP when running higher boost. As far as draining the fuel I figure it wouldn't take much time at all. I'm just checking to see if I've left anything out of my idea or if it's just plain stupid. I am second guessing because of the weight issue. I don't know what I would have to turn the boost down to in order to run pump gas, but I bet it wouldn't be good!

Thanks to all that have respoded.

Ryan

Metco is working on a system just like that.
They have a custom cell that fits in the spare tire well.
I saw the prototype last year. I believe they are working on legality issues regarding the valve system.

Ramchargers or an Innovative boost controller will work with stock and aftermarket systems to control boost rather easily, not automatically. Weight and complexity of the system would make it not worth it for me.

Alky. :)

Metco was desighning one over 2 years ago, there was a write up in GMHTP. I guess they never came out with it.

IMHO, running alky is the same as NOS, its something you have to keep full, but if Alky runs out, or the pump fails you could do serious damage. There is no replacement for C-16.

everyone is talking about not enough fuel under boost or too much fuel under no boost wouldnt it just be easier to use something like a cartech riseing rate fuelpressure regulator this way it would regulate how much fuel pressure your making and raise it as the boost gets higher

im new to the turbo buick thing i have followed it but never got real far in to it. i had a stage 3 motor and t3t4 chrysler conquest im assuming it all works pretty close to the same

when the car was dynoed i noticed the intercooler got really hot so i came up with this idea use winsheild washer nozzels, pump and fluid tank (from JC whitney) mount the nozzels infront of the intercooler fill the tank with alcohol and spray the intercooler with it from your dash mounted button didnt get the car dynoed with this on it before i sold it but seemed to have more power and seemed to come off the light faster.seems to keep your intake temps cooler too which in turn could probably help with the knock issues some of you experience

fuel cell

Tom Shea aka tomshea is a member of this board who has had this setup in his car for ?yrs. It is spendy. Dave:cool:

You wouldn't need any type of switching valve for the gas. Just switch power to one pump on and then the other one off. The pumps have a built in check valve which prevents gas from flowing back into the pump. That is why your fuel system holds pressure with the pump power off.

If someone wanted to be stealthy about it, they could modify a stock gas tank to have 2 chambers. That would eliminate the excessive added weight issue and also the space taken up by the cell.

You are correct about the fuel pumps not needing to be valved, but the return line still does. The easiest way would be to take a trucks dual tank setup and use that. Pretty simple if you think about it.

Re: fuel cell

Originally posted by grey1
Tom Shea aka tomshea is a member of this board who has had this setup in his car for ?yrs. It is spendy. Dave:cool:

that car is in my garage right now:cool:

i purchased it off jason carter a few months ago, nice car, and cool fuel pump setup, but i dont like the inline fuel pump that the car has-

does Tom post often?

Re: METCO Duel Fuel System

METCO prototyped the Duel Fuel system several years ago with the intention of offering a complete turn-key pump gas/race gas fuel system. Issues of legality and questionable demand for this system caused METCO to later abandon the idea. A few functional kits were produced, and the kits included a nice wiring harness manufactured by Casper's.
Fuel cells were custom built to fit the spare tire well of the G-body, with models available to accept the stock G-body fuel pump hanger and models to work with an external pump. A few cells are still available, with close-out pricing in effect. I am a distributor for METCO and can provide more details to anyone interested.

No replacement for C16?

What happens when that runs out? ;)

You can only afford 5 gallons at a time of that stuff. :eek:

Alky. is only used when you need it, under boost not wasted like race gas, great for people that actually drive their cars. :D