Quick turbo question

Turbo F-bird

I have a TE63E turbo among my spare Buick parts and was wondering if it's large enough to use on a V8. I've been told it's not but I read about a few guys who are running one on a V8 so I have to wonder. I've never been good at reading compressor maps and that stuff so can anyone here shed some light on the subject? I'd like to put it on a LS engine and run 10-12 lbs of boost.

LS? 4.8, 5.3, 5.7, 6.0, 6.2, 7.0, etc? A/R Housing? Most likely that is going to choke the hell out of the engine. If you are going single, a T70 is what people usually go with.

Zack

It's a .55/.82 AR according to the housings and I'm going to use it on a 6.0 unless that plan falls apart and I go to this 4.8 I have lying around instead. A guy I know swears by the GT45 and he uses it on all his builds but since the TE63E is also known as a T45 I was wondering how similar it was to a GT45. The GT45 he uses appears to be a off shore turbo and I haven't found the specs for it yet.

Compressor Size: Inlet = 4 3/16", Inducer = 68.7MM, Exducer = 97.8 MM, Trim = 69,A/R = 0.66, Intake (ID / OD) = 2.25" / 3.25"

Turbine: Outlet = 4", Turbo flange = T4, Downpipe flange = 3.5" V-band, Inducer = 87.4 MM, Exducer = 77 MM,Trim = 92, A/R = 1.05

The GT45 is a great turbo choice.. The TE63E you have is smaller, but not by too much. I believe the 63 is a 63mm. You can always run it and change it out for something bigger down the road.. But I have a feeling you might choke out the 6.0 with the .82 A/R.

Zack

What power level? The two turbos in discussion are nothing alike. The e cover used on a te63e is too small for the compressor and will limit the compressors potential.

If I could make 450-500+ rwhp I'd be pretty happy. It looks like the advice I got that the TE63E was a bit small for a V8 was pretty accurate so thanks for convincing me you guys.

Turbo F-bird said:
If I could make 450-500+ rwhp I'd be pretty happy. It looks like the advice I got that the TE63E was a bit small for a V8 was pretty accurate so thanks for convincing me you guys.

If that's all you're looking for then the 63 is plenty.

I read the the 63 is good to around 680 HP on a Buick but wasn't sure how that would equate to a V8. I figured it takes more air to feed 8 cylinders than 6 so that HP figure would be somewhat less on a V8. Would you say that's accurate?

Turbo F-bird said:
I read the the 63 is good to around 680 HP on a Buick but wasn't sure how that would equate to a V8. I figured it takes more air to feed 8 cylinders than 6 so that HP figure would be somewhat less on a V8. Would you say that's accurate?
Mass flow is mass flow. 70lbs/min on a 100ci engine and 70lbs/min on a 350ci engine is still 70lbs/min. Depending on the cam the engine will make more tq than hp the same or more ho than tq. Which is why mass flow should be used as a reference since it's a constant the way I described it. 600hp would have you covered. At the pressure ratio your considering the 63 will not be out of breath on a 400ci engine with a small hyd cam.

I would suggest adding a LS9 or Z06 cam while you have the engine out.. Turbo builds put down great numbers with either..

Zack

The LS6 is not going to do a lot for you.. The LS9 has more exhaust overlap, more exhaust energy, quicker spool, more power, etc. I'd recommend it if you don't mind spending the extra cash. You can pick them up directly from GM for something like 130$.

Zack

It was on my list of things I was contemplating so I may just grab it now. Hey I'm in Wakefield and I think you're in Plymouth or the south shore aren't you? I have some leftover parts from my Turbo Buicks so if you're looking for anything me know. Email me at olzkng@aol.com if you want to.