questions about ttop bracing

tyrod32

I have a cage in my 86 ttop GN and really would like to have it out so I could fit more people and its also just a hassle for the passenger getting in and out. At what hp or times is the cage necessary to keep the car stiff. Is there an alternative to the cage? Thanks

Had my t-top painted a few years ago, after fixing buckels in the rear quarters from hard lauches I was affraid to launch car at the track. I did everything I could to stiffen the car up before more 1.7 60'. I installed the kirbans rear seat braces, all new body bushings, and the braces you can find in the junk yards on g-body Grand Prix. Which are 3 braces that triangulate the front end of the car. I even fabricated a brace to tie the two rear frame rails together behind the bumper. Installing all this stuff made a HUGE difference in the way the car rides and handles and how much the car twists when you power brake against the converter before a launch. I have a mid 12 sec car, no buckels or new waves in the paint yet. If you have a cage in the car I would imagine you are a lot faster than I am so not sure if this stuff would get you where you need to be. Do a search there are some good threads on the subject. Oh by the way after reserching I found that most who had the brace that connected the 2 rear frame rails said it was worthless for stiffening the car and removed it for weight savings. The one I made weighs at least 25#...Never got installed on my car.

I have an 87 T-top. I have all the Kirban braces up front except the underhood pieces. I put all missing body mounts in as well as the GNX mounts over the rearend. I put Bilstein shocks on all 4 corners. I put Metco trailing arms, upper and lowers.I also got the 1 3/8 sway bar set-up. The last piece I am installing is the GNX style rear seat brace. It will be welded in this winter. I have talked to several guys who know I am building a mid 10 sec car and roll bar has never been mentioned. I am running 275-60-15 MT ET street drag radials. No twist at all and I am low 12's now.

Thanks
Coach