Question on street bikes

Sandman_GN85

Someone help me?
Hey, I was just sitting here contimplating a thought thats been in my head for awhile. Somewhere down the line in a few years I was looking into getting a bike. Question is how hard is it to learn how to drive a bike, Never had any expierence on dirtbikes or anything, basicly my vehicle expierence rests in automatic cars. Just curious, thanks.

Alright this is what i did. I entered the bike scene almost the same as you. I grew up around motorcycles since i was able to be to turn my knuckles white holding onto my fathers belt on the back of his bike. But the weird thing was that i didnt ride my first bike until i got a dirt bike damn near the time i was trying to get my license. Here is what i did and it made me a better motorcycle driver because of it. In illinois they have a motorcycle safety course that you can take that will directly get you ur license without going to the DMV. But at the time i was under 18 years old so it was the learning experiece that my father wanted me to have. The safety course was invaluable to me as a motorcycle driver today. I DO NOT RECOMMEND trying to take the driving test, maybe getting lucky and passing, then try to get the learning curve on the real thing, THE ROAD. Seen way too may people my age find out the hard way thats not the way to go. They pass the test and suddenly think they can handle real world traffic. My father gave me a good tip/warning. 90% of new motorcycle drivers crash their bikes within the first 3 weeks of owning them. I was not in that percentage, i still have not put my bike down. I personally think by taking the safety class it took me out of the 90%. After i passed the safety course (the course is 3 days long, 8 hours a day, with a written and driving test on the last day) since i was underage i had to take the real test at the DMV. Now i dont know about your state but illinois is known for a very strict and hard driving test, i passed without a single point against me since the safety course tested me the exact same way. Now they have CC requirements that need to be met for a person to get an M license. In illinois you have to take the test with a bike over 250cc. I took it on a 1000cc so i was safe as can be. Now i have a question for you. If you are wanting a license do you have a bike already or are you going to buy one if you are serious. Because getting the right bike for a beginner will probably prevent you from a visit to the hospital. Most kids are looking for the crotch rockets either 600 or 1000cc. I am not saying you cant go that way but i will tell you ur askin for trouble. Buy a used bike (acouple years old) and not a lot of CCs. Insurance companies usually make you pay more for each CC class you go up, so stay in the 600cc range because insurance will be less and a light bike is easier for a beginner to handle in real world decisions. Just so you know i am 21 years old and i dont have all the answers but this is the way i went and i got my license without any problems without being on a real motorcycle until i took the safety class, and my biggest acco.mplishment i think yet is, that i am still alive. Go to your DMV and ask if they have a safety class in ur state.