question on how to add some power

datant69

sunday i went out with my stepson and son with a few other guys and went to a warehouse district for some street racing. of course i got called out and said sure, for me it's more for fun then anything else. 1st run i did was with a guy who has a stang with some upgrades and he beat me, now let me 1st state that i was pushing the alky button and it shuttered like they do before it launches, this lasted about 2 seconds so he got the jump on me from a 20 MPH start. he didn't pull away and i didn't gain on him, so my mistake and he even said what happened and i told him what i did. then my step son who has a simular setup and is always talking trash decided to try me, well he wasn't so lucky, i had him by 4 cars and was pulling. he said he couldn't get a bite but i wanted to know what are some of the most less costly ways to add HP to your car. what i have on the car is in my sig, incase your wanting to know. i've thought of twin turbo's or a bigger turbo. i don't want to add NOS as i'm not going to tear my engine up over that. if i lose i lose, but i still would like to make it faster and wanted some opinions.

Why were you pushing the alky button? Just curious.

Powerplate
bigger injectors
adj. fuel pressure regulator
sticky tires
scan tool
tune up
chip from TT or Jay
etc.....

all fairly cheap to do.

Before you add anything you need to familiarize yourself more with your car.
Any fuel upgrades pump? hotwire? Trubo size? Chip?Scanmaster or any type
of monitoring hardware? Learn how your alky(smc) system works. Once it is primed you should not have to push the button. What boost level? What is the fuel pressure? Timing? Basically you don't add anything until you can
tune and utilize what you have.

pushing the akly button

i was on it to prime it and was talking to the guy i was going to run and guess held it in too long. i do agree with knowing the car alot better, as far as the chip it was customized by the last owner so i may be looking for a better one. i know i need a scan tool and that'll be one of the 1st things i will be buying. boost is set at 17lbs which is conservative and i didn't want to really mess with it after it was set by my mechanic. i don't want to run it all out 30 lbs until i get alot more familuar with it. i just wanted to know a few other things i can do to get it going down the road faster. i rarely race it but i also don't want to lose alot either. i know experiance will help and i'm getting it as time goes by, with it being winter i'm not working on it as much as i should but i plan on adding more as i get more miles on it. since i've owned it i've put 5K miles on it and the only reason i've done that is because my truck crapped out on me a month ago. so until i get it fixed it'll be my DD, which it really isn't since i haven't drove it since sunday.

Before you add anything you need to familiarize yourself more with your car.
Any fuel upgrades pump? hotwire? Trubo size? Chip?Scanmaster or any type
of monitoring hardware? Learn how your alky(smc) system works. Once it is primed you should not have to push the button. What boost level? What is the fuel pressure? Timing? Basically you don't add anything until you can
tune and utilize what you have.

Worst Advice I ever heard :eek::biggrin:

Just disconnect the knock sensor, shorten the wastegate rod, and LET HER EAT!!!!!

drifter your way too funny

Worst Advice I ever heard :eek::biggrin:

Just disconnect the knock sensor, shorten the wastegate rod, and LET HER EAT!!!!!

i gotta do some research on how to adjust the turbo and wastegate. i saw a post on here awhile back on how many turns for so many lbs of boost. as far as gas i run super ALL THE TIME. i wouldn't want to run anything else in my car. i heard that since it has the alky kit i can run reg unleaded but i didn't want to chance it. regardless everyone's entitled to their 02 and then we all take alittle from what we think is right and go from there. too bad buddy ingersol can't take a peak under the hood, i'm sure he'd have some hella pointers on how to make all our cars scream and beat the crap outta anything out there.

Now that is how you sell parts..............:biggrin:

:p What???? I think we are going to run a special on Head Gaskets soon, buy 2 sets and get 2 for free!:eek::biggrin:

i gotta do some research on how to adjust the turbo and wastegate. i saw a post on here awhile back on how many turns for so many lbs of boost. as far as gas i run super ALL THE TIME. i wouldn't want to run anything else in my car. i heard that since it has the alky kit i can run reg unleaded but i didn't want to chance it. regardless everyone's entitled to their 02 and then we all take alittle from what we think is right and go from there. too bad buddy ingersol can't take a peak under the hood, i'm sure he'd have some hella pointers on how to make all our cars scream and beat the crap outta anything out there.

Normally 1 full turn is about 1 psi. The shorter the rod the higher the boost. Start low and work your way up. Watch your o2's and knock. Dont tune it with the knock gauge or you'll pound the bottom end apart:eek: Try to get your o2's around 750-760.

knock sensor

i gotta get one of those too, what's a reasonable price for one? i have a swap meet coming to town in 2 weeks and that's one thing i'll be looking for along with a scanmaster. not sure about buying a used one of either but i still need to install one of each just for my piece of mind.

The car already has a knock sensor. It's on the back of the block a tad toward the drivers side and right behind the intake. 1-wire going to it.

The other ones are in your ear and your butt. You can hear it, and you can feel it when it pulls timing due to detonation. When and if you hear it (sounds like a handful of nickels hitting metal) pull your foot off the go pedal immediately.

Go to GNTTYPE.org and do the spring cleaning and tune up. Make sure all the sensors show the correct values and tune from there.

knock sensor

i meant the gauge, i've done all the spring cleaning and have put less then 6K miles since i bought it and did the spring cleaning a month after i bought it. i know this is a learn as you go car but sometimes the lessons costs alot of money. my wife has named it the money pit and i reminded her that it's my money going into it not hers.

Scanmaster first

With it, you can monitor all the data you need. It will read O2 and knock retard on the default screen.
Start with the basics, as has been posted...

scanmaster is going to be a 1st

i know this is a very valuable tool when trying to find out what's going on with your car. i also want a knock gauge incase i don't hear it as i've been told i'm deaf by my wife. my reply is i have selective hearing, goes well with my selective memory.

I've got a scanner if you need some help Datant. You've got my number so just make the call and come down for breakfast or lunch one day next week. I should be free Tuesday or Wensday. (sp)

i know this is a very valuable tool when trying to find out what's going on with your car. i also want a knock gauge incase i don't hear it as i've been told i'm deaf by my wife. my reply is i have selective hearing, goes well with my selective memory.

Here are a couple of options for you GBodyParts.com Online. I dont have the best hearing either :rolleyes::biggrin:

sunday i went out with my stepson and son with a few other guys and went to a warehouse district for some street racing. of course i got called out and said sure, for me it's more for fun then anything else. 1st run i did was with a guy who has a stang with some upgrades and he beat me, now let me 1st state that i was pushing the alky button and it shuttered like they do before it launches, this lasted about 2 seconds so he got the jump on me from a 20 MPH start. he didn't pull away and i didn't gain on him, so my mistake and he even said what happened and i told him what i did. then my step son who has a simular setup and is always talking trash decided to try me, well he wasn't so lucky, i had him by 4 cars and was pulling. he said he couldn't get a bite but i wanted to know what are some of the most less costly ways to add HP to your car. what i have on the car is in my sig, incase your wanting to know. i've thought of twin turbo's or a bigger turbo. i don't want to add NOS as i'm not going to tear my engine up over that. if i lose i lose, but i still would like to make it faster and wanted some opinions.

Yes you have lots to learn...........we all did. Something simple here, if you are not already running methenol, you need to. It is much cheaper than alky and cools your charge air intake more. (cooler the air, the more potential for making more power).....ps....don't unhook your knock sensor! :eek:

See the link below.....lots of great info!!!

Vortex Turbo Buick Performance