Question on a Winter Beater (Shelby Z or Z-24)

jj86gn

Hey,

Got a question for everybody. I need a winter beater and narrowed my choices down to either a 1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z or a 1987 Cavalier Z24.

Both are stickshift and loaded.
ShelbyZ looks clean and the Z24 does have some cancer.

Which one would you all have and why??

The Shelby Z hands down, especially if the price is the same.

No comparison.

A Z24 Cavalier is a POS crap box with a weak V6. A Neon is faster and will get better gas mileage.

The Shelby Z was built to be a Camaro/Mustang competitor. If the GN hadn't started a Horsepower race in mid 1986, it might have succeeded.

The other thing is the Shelby has some value. When you go to sell it I'm sure you won't have a problem doing so. The Z24 on the other hand would be hard to give away.

Hmm, isnt the Shelby Z a turbo car?..I bet it can be made pretty fast on the streets..I wonder how much boost a stock block can handle...I know the later IROC version (92 or 93) comes with 230 hp stock :eek:

The Shelby Z hands down, especially if the price is the same.

No comparison.

A Z24 Cavalier is a POS crap box with a weak V6. A Neon is faster and will get better gas mileage.

The Shelby Z was built to be a Camaro/Mustang competitor. If the GN hadn't started a Horsepower race in mid 1986, it might have succeeded.

They must have some good sh*t to smoke inTX.:rolleyes: The thread should be titled which car is the biggest POS! Neither car is anything to brag about IMO.That Shelby is just a 146HP four banger with a fancy interior. You cant tell me it is any better than a 140HP V-6! If it was a pony car posuer than that is news to me. And a Neon will kick it's a$$ too. I always like it when new technology is compared against old, obsolete technology. The Shelby Z was the heaviest(read slowest) out of all of the Daytona bodied models.

What you really need to find is a Daytona C+S.

Horsepower race?:confused: Chrysler wasn't even a player in the 80's. FWD cars were "use them, than throw them away" cars. Not to many of any make or model left anyway.:frown: I'm confused with that whole sentence. Mid 86? Buick was kickin butt long before than.

My pick would be the Z/24. Tons of parts in the boneyard. Lots more fun to play around with too. When the 2.8 breaks just swap in a newer 3.5/3.9. Heck, maybe even a SC or Turbo'd Ecotec. I even know of some boneyard brake and suspension mods too.

"They must have some good sh*t to smoke inTX.:rolleyes: The thread should be titled which car is the biggest POS!"

LOL :biggrin:

Horsepower race?:confused: Chrysler wasn't even a player in the 80's. FWD cars were "use them, than throw them away" cars. Not to many of any make or model left anyway.:frown: I'm confused with that whole sentence. Mid 86? Buick was kickin butt long before than.

Hot air Buicks were a joke on the street in 1985. They ran mid 15's like front wheel drive Chrysler's did.

There was real worry that the Horsepower race was over in 1986. Mustangs were slower, IROC's and TA's were slower than their '85 versions and Ford was going to turn the Mustang into a Front driver.

Maybe you don't remember any of this, but I do.

87 Shelby Z had 175 intercooled hp. Fast car.. Much better and worth much more then the Z24..

go for the shelby z, but if your gonna grab one, you should pick one up someone has already modded a bit. They have like zero re-sale value, and you can pick up one that has some toys on it for cheap. If you check out some of the turbo dodge forums, maybe you can pickone up cheap there.

also, check for rust at the parking brake cable, the floors rot, and where the strut mounts meet at the firewall.

WOW,

Guess I made this a hot topic!!

JC, I know what you told me, I just had this post up before I saw you last night Bro.:D

Maybe I should give a little background.

I have an 86gn, along with my suburban and my wife's V-70 (with stick). At these gas prices I need a round-about-car. I like the 80s style, grew up during this period, and though one of these would be the biggest bang for the buck (sporty, gas saver, and fun to drive).

Well now with the wife wanting one more kid :eek: (we have three now), I know I'll have to get her a XC90. She loves Volvos. They don't come in standard so for the first time, we will not have a stick shift in the family. Plus this way I can convince her to let me get another car.:cool:

So keep the input coming!!!!!!

also for the daytona you'll never have to be DD...cause its too small to fit more than 1 other regular human besides the driver.

go with a turbo car- so you can mod it with left overs

remember- no turbo no care

Hey,

Got a question for everybody. I need a winter beater and narrowed my choices down to either a 1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z or a 1987 Cavalier Z24.

Both are stickshift and loaded.
ShelbyZ looks clean and the Z24 does have some cancer.

Which one would you all have and why??

I bet if you look at the Shebly it is loaded with filler they were oxide makers and the rear hatch would not stay closed, had many electrical issues too. Not to say the Z24 is a whole lot better but at least they are of some value. And lots of easy swaps for them and parts too. Not like the Shebly

Ok off my soapbox.

Later AJ

I've had 2 of the 87 Z-24 5 speeds and loved them both. Both were reliable and cheap and easy to fix. Also got 30+ mpg highway. With a good driver they can be alot of fun. The 5 speeds are good runners if the motor is healthy. 87 was the first year for the multi-port fuel injection. Stay away from the 86. 87 will have the twin dome fiberglass CAI hood. Hard to find if you break it. The 2.8 multi-port motors will run forever as long as you don't get them hot. These cars are pretty quick off the line with a good driver. I could smoke the old Taurus SHO thru first and second but they would reel me in in 3rd gear. Same thing with the Mudstains and Camaros. Just not enough torque in 3rd gear, but a fun car nonetheless.

Remember, you're asking about a beater. If you want something to mod, you already have a GN. Forget modding an old turbo Dodge. We all know how expensive modding and fixing turbo cars can be.

Have you driven either of these cars yet?

If I could find a nice one I'd buy it in a heartbeat if the price was right.

For a 100% beater, I'd go with the Z24. Reliable and easy to repair, cheap to repair, and that v6 is a good engine.

If you want to play a little, then the Shelby. With that car, I'd be a little more concerned with availability of parts, but but really sure.

I retract my previous statement...

I keep thinking, man, that shelby could be modded and be a good DD.

I picked up my 03 Regal for the same reason, I needed a good driver. The Z24 will be that and then some. I didn't want a GS because I knew the mod bug would bite and suck the life out of the GN funds. Get which ever one allows you to pick the parts up for next to nothing.