Question For Tranny Gurus

Scottie-GNZ

What would cause fluid to flow out the vent tube at WOT? To avoid the easy answer, the tranny is not over-filled.

TIA,

HEAT

or
warped pump, seal return hole has been drilled and partially opened into low volume cavity in the pump..

Bruce
WE4

Thanks, Bruce.

By coincidence, this all started when the front pump was replaced locally in an emergency repair.

Scottie,
Bruce, Mark and I have been going thru the same problem for the last 3 months. My son blew the pump in my '87 CZ on Christmas Eve, three days ago I think I may have located the prob. It'd pump about an oz. in 15 seconds at full TV load and nothing at no load. After a full disassemble/clean and 3 R&R's I finally disassembled the new pump. Between the pump slide and the pump body I found a 1/4" piece of wire that must have been in since the pump was assembled. It allowed the high pressure oil to get to the vent circuits of the pump and the drain holes just couldn't handle it.
The upshot of this all for you is don't bother with the trans body the problem has to be in the pump. Bruce is right, a warped pump body can do it but also check the rear mounting surface of the pump body, open the pump and look for chips and cracks on the mating surfaces and check the rotor/ring sizes and clearances.

Or just get a new pump.
TOM

Thanks, guys. the problem was a cracked pump where the shaft fits through. Still do not know the root cause as this is the 2nd bad pump in about a year. Hopefully it will hold up for an event in a couple of weeks then everything is coming out again for a serious effort to find what is causing it.