Question about using turbo(s) for BBC setup?

C

calereeves

Sorry guys, I'm not running a Buick, but its a pontiac! I do however like the GN style!

Anyway, here is my thinking. Could I use the 3.8 liter 4 cylinder turbos to make a twin turbo setup on a BBC to go in my 78 T/A?

Did Buick ever make 2 different setups, with the turbos on opposite sides? I want to get two turbos with opposite facing exducers, so that I can have the engine compartment still look mostly symetrical.

Would the turbos be able to move enough air to make boost on a 462 cubic inch engine in the first place?

Where could I get ahold of theses different facing turbos, IF in fact they are even made?

Thanks, and sorry for the multiple questions, but I figured this would be the place to ask.

Cale

Originally posted by calereeves
Sorry guys, I'm not running a Buick, but its a pontiac! I do however like the GN style!

Anyway, here is my thinking. Could I use the 3.8 liter 4 cylinder turbos to make a twin turbo setup on a BBC to go in my 78 T/A?

3.8 liter 4 cylinder? :rolleyes:

Did Buick ever make 2 different setups, with the turbos on opposite sides? I want to get two turbos with opposite facing exducers, so that I can have the engine compartment still look mostly symetrical.

ummmm....buick? no. We all know how important symmetry is in HP production, though. Maybe one of the larger turbo companies could hook you up with a reverse scroll and impeller set-up....oops but then you'd need a reverse turbine and housing too...Ooo... that's gonna cost you.. Got $100K to spend on symmetry?

Would the turbos be able to move enough air to make boost on a 462 cubic inch engine in the first place?
[/B]

two of them? sure. Probably to about 750 HP, then you'd need to up grade to a couple Te44/TA49's or a couple 60 series turbos. Good thing you have money left over to make a couple more larger reverse scroll turbos.

Buick never made a twin turbo v6 3.8 for production purposes. They did make one for a pace car that was very trick.

I saw a 460 Ford that used two T04 turbos, you may want to go with that type. I'm hoping to use two T03 turbos on my Buick 455 if I don't use a centrifugal SC.

You might want to check into Gale Banks stuff as he probably has some exhaust manifolds set up for turbo just for for your engine.

Keep it simple and you'll be glad you did.

(BTW the 3.8 is a v6, not a I4)

I HAD BETTER SEE AN APOLOGY FOR THE 4 CYLINDER COMMENT! WE AIN'T RICERS OVER HERE!!!!!!

good luck with the setup though

I know, I know, I REALLY APOLOGIZE for the 4 cylinder thing, it was 1 in the morning when I wrote that, I wasn't thinking clearly...SORRY! Anywany, I wasn't wondering if they made a TT setup, just if they had different year models with the turbo on a different side?

And I know it doesn't have to be symetrical, I just thought it would look better.

Cale

462 is exactly HALF of our 231 I-4 :rolleyes:

so depending on block strenght, you could easily run ONE pte-70 and run around 30 psi just like the rest of us ;)

just make sure you use a X8 block code from a 73-74 f-body

calereeves

Might want to contact Lou. Had a twin turbo SBC awhile back.
At Pomona when he got into the 9's, he hit the brakes or who knows how fast he could have gone, without a rollcage he was asked to leave.

Lou's Automotive
26911 Vista Terrace, Lake Forest, CA 92630
1 (949) 770 5956
1 (949) 770 6956 FAX

lou@turbolou.com
http://www.turbolou.com

DOH BART!!!

actually, pontiac is only one block-
326-455 is the same dimensions

cant believe i didnt see BBC DOH!!