Question about head bolts and re-torquing

BARRACUDA1968

I'm putting my motor back together in a week or so and I got to talking with a friend of mine this morning about head studs or bolts. He suggested I use studs for better clamping or more accurate TQ. He also mentioned that since I need to re-tq the heads I would disturb the sealant on the head bolts and not studs.

Is this a concern? It makes sense but after a search I came up empty on this topic.

I may consider studs I guess but as of now I have ARP bolts.

You won't be able to pull the heads off the engine with the studs in place anyway, so your buddy's info about disturbing the sealant isn't your concern
Arp studs do offer more pull from both sides, but there is nothing wrong using their bolts. I suggest using arp thread sealant and arp moly lube for both sides of the washers
Torque to spec, then recheck 24 hours later
I can't read your signature with my iPhone, what power level are you at?
Mid to low 10s?

The newer ARP studs have allen wrench holes in the top ends. You can take the heads off in the car. A PITA, but doable.
Just finished installing a set on my blue car..Pulled 80#,.Let them sit overnite, rechecked. Had 3 that needed a "nudge".I use Permatex #2 sealer. Won't dry out. Used the supplied lube on the washers/nuts,threads.

Fact is; Studs povide more even clamping force and overall better for performance. Re-torque would be more consistent as well, but at what cost? (Not price. . . LOL☺)

IMO . . . .Just like a girdle. . . It increases block rigidity but the need depends on the overall application and goal. Good luck.

Last edited:
Aside from studs providing a more even clamping force, they do not apply as much stress to the threads in the block.

Another proper application for studs vs. bolts is when the base thread material is soft, such as aluminum.

You won't be able to pull the heads off the engine with the studs in place anyway, so your buddy's info about disturbing the sealant isn't your concern
Arp studs do offer more pull from both sides, but there is nothing wrong using their bolts. I suggest using arp thread sealant and arp moly lube for both sides of the washers
Torque to spec, then recheck 24 hours later
I can't read your signature with my iPhone, what power level are you at?
Mid to low 10s?

I should be able to make 600 HP with my set up. I'm going to tune the car to a high 10 and call it a day. Since I gave up on the Cometics and will be using Felpro 9441pt's I'm going to go with studs. If they'll clamp a little better why not, they're not that expensive in the whole scheme of things.

Thanks for all the input!