Question about girdles?

Are main girdles junk?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ITSAV6

It's my Granny's car!
Had an engine builder say "Put on all 4 steel caps as girdles are junk".

girdle

4 steel caps will do no good when the main webbing pulls out of the block. the girdle will distribute the load throughout the entire bottom of the block. i would possibly find a different builder. maybe he just has never installed a girdle?? if you do get a girdle get a RJC and be done with it. good luck. jeremy

My engine is already built with the 2 center billet caps. I have a friend with this dilema as we speak. I didn't get a girdle because no one here could imho do it correctly!

Can someone post a pic of their block completely blown apart and the billit caps stil bolted on? Ive seen it on here somewhere.

IMHO, and this is just my .02 worth. IF I were building a stock block to run in the low 10's - high 9's or even quicker, I'd do all 4 steel main caps and a girdle. OH, and a forged crank. Why chance it????

Thanks for the thread doug, i didnt want to post the builder's response until i heard his explanation first .gonna talk with him when i go let him check out my block.

here's the delima guy's i honestly think i overrevved my engine again on a back road sparring with my brothers buick instead of taking off easy. thats what i think started it all as thats when i first heard vibrations & slight knock going back home. had the stock crank & 2 steel caps.but then again i dont know, my oil psi slightly dropped over time but i thought still acceptable (new to the buicks rode in one and went CRAZY) younger brother says thats a no no, to me it seems like oil psi dropped over time but to him it seemed like over night, i told him he didnt now what he was talking about i drive my car more the he do i know my stuff, been to the track, gettin on it and all & he said okay we'll see in a little while, thats when the vibes, came. ok he was right i was wrong still learnin these cars every time i slightly tune my younger brothers buick it runs faster but i get what info on tuning and setting by my bud ITSAV6, others & especially these buick boards. now back to the problem.

this was how the girdle/caps question came up as you have to start with bottom first.

ok gonna take my time & do a little research this time because this is the last straw or rebuild for me & yes im on a budget also but do wanna get good parts if this doesnt workout im gonna build it stock & just sensibly drive the car & quit tryin to have fun(track,backroad racin, showin out etc.you know where im comin from) as i see its too expensive as i have a family & other responsibilities(i guess you could say im whinnin.:( ) but any way the signature is what i have now but this is what im considering slowly but surely do it right for the last time: im only runnin low 12s with a 1/10 or 2 off the 1/8 from runnin a high 11.
but now i want a low 11 or even by mistake high 10, with the ability to accidently to overrevv with out walking or twisting cranks & bearings & the like, so keep these in mind low 11s or the ability for the block to with stand low 11s high 10 cosistently would be prefered.... Im going with:
1)4 billet steel caps as i have none in my stand. bore block as of now...
2)A forged rotating assembly crank,pistons,rods etc. from DLS.....
ok thats my shortblock. now take it to the top,
3)Champion aluminums
4)206 or 212 roller cam kit no roller rockers i dont feel i need them. for what i want.
5)matching CH intake
6)maybe the 60 inj. my youngest brother is gonna give me his 50lbs. (trade for my 42s) & alky i feel im ok for fuel but on the fence on this
& my te44.
my #6 wish list will have to wait till the end of next yr. unless things wont match up, then i'll consider diff. turbo & the 60jets.

this is gonna be a slow process for me, but i think i will be happy i just want to know if these will hold up. cause this is the last straw for me im 35 & i feel like ive had my fun; banshee four wheeler, honda 929 cbr crotch rocket, ive sold all of those, now the buick i guess you can say i like speed... but dont want it to get so addictive that i go broke tryin to have fun. & say WELL IT WAS FUN WHILE IT LASTED. LOL:redface:

Good Lord.........

My engine builder had the same opinion when I talked to him yesterday about doing a girdle. He didn't think it was necessary. But that pic is making me think..........

Ray, I do believe that Tim didn't check the block/caps/crank properly. That one bearing shows very uneven wear and the frt/rear bearings looked great. Makes me suspect the crank and/or the caps were not quite right. After he screwed up on mine and lied about it too. After he wanted to put the crank in and torque it to make sure it was "perfect". Even gave me the endplay measurement. Then the center caps were switched and it had .014 endplay because of the standard size thrust and the crank thrust was cut .010. Then came the excuses about the neoprene seal makes it hard to check the endplay,his part time helper put the caps on bla bla bla.

My new engine has one. After seeing my engine assembled before my own eyes...an experienced Buick V6 builder is a must!!!!!!!!! There seems to be ALOT of little tricks that will make a BIG difference when putting these engine's together. Lonnie Diers @ Extreme Automatics put my stuff together (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.)

I say go with the girdle no matter what you plan on running. If you are like me, I always want to go faster. Better to do it once than twice;)

If you plan on 10.50 or slower the girdle is not needed. This is is there is no detonation. Anything can break with detonation. The Main webbing needs extra support in these things for sub 10.50's. The bottom end is moving all over the place with the power required to run in the 9's with its 2 bolt per main and only 4 mains vs. a v-8's 5 mains. Doesnt mean you cant run fast with just caps but the extra insurance is worth it since you already spent a lot on rods, pistons block prep etc. Its not that much more considering the cost of the caps. Ive seen a lot of feedback on here about improperly installed steel caps. Go with a girdle and more importantly find the proper machinist. Ive had Bob at RPE (860-953-1342) in CT do several for me over the last 5 years. All with equally excellent results.

Get a new engine builder.

Let me guess.... this builder can line hone.... but would have to farm out most of the girdle install.....