Question about Chicago Emissions / Registration

Shane

As you can tell from my location I'm pretty much constantly moving between my apartment in Chicago and a room in Metro Detroit in my friend's house. I'm looking to switch my registration to Illinois as I honestly keep the cars there more often than I do in Michigan.

I'm CERTAIN that my GN won't pass IL emissions (ummm, some parts fell off :cool:), but I think that my Fiero might with a little bit of work.

Coming from a MI boy that has ZERO experience with emissions I wonder if any of you can tell me how hard Cook County tests are plus what are the legalities of keeping a car with the wrong plates on it out of state?

FYI My Drivers Liscence is from MI, my plates are from MI, my insurance is from CT, and I spend most of my time in IL. I know I have to fix the insurance (it's up for renewal anyways), but I could use some help from some of you more experienced guys.

My understanding is that with most of the changes we make on these cars, you may not pass IL emissions. You might want to consider insuring the car as a collector car. There are certain restrictions, but you will not have to emissions test the car. Look into it; call Ellen at Rally Insurance, 800 801 1823. You can also insure the car for what it's really worth by furnishing them with a list of improvements you have made. I have mine insured for $22,000.00, 6K annual miles restriction and I never have to emission test.

You will pass with your mods, I did before my rebuild with almost the same setup to yours. I got a hair over 50% on the hydrocarbon so you will be ok.

Just make sure your blm's are no lower than 128, and preferably around 132-138 for the emmissions testing. Have a good catalytic, if you have the stock piece you might want to go test first and then if you fail get a new one.

Illinois does not look under the hood, but they do dyno it.

To give you an idea, I tried passing on a test pipe just to see and missed the hydrocarbon by about 20% over, and that was running pretty lean. Its not that hard to pass IMO with a good tune and cat on the car.