Pypes vs hooker exhaust system

SNOWBIRD

Which is quieter and has no or less drone,,,or is there a better system for noise reduction...THANKS

If the Hooker exhaust has the AeroChamber mufflers, that system sounds nice with very little drone. If it came in a 3", I would be all over it.

The Pypes system if I remember correctly sounds similar to the ATR's which are louder than most and definately drones.

Hope this helps....

Bill you info is incorrect, the Pypes system is NOT louder than the Hooker system, period

I have all three systems, the mild steel Hooker kit, w/ aero chamber mufflers , the SS Pypes kit, w/ race pro mufflers & the SS ATR kit, w/ pit bulls installed on a car. The Hooker system is louder than the Pypes, the Hooker system does have a slight drone & the Pypes does not. Some of my post does show I'm down on the Hooker systems, that because I am. Here the deal......I put a hooker system on my low mile GN which is garaged kept and driven very little. I did like it and liked the way it sounded BUT it rusted a hole from the inside out at the flange of the Y pipe (to look at it, it still looks brand new) . Being the kit had such low miles and only being a few years old, I felt like Hooker should have stood behide their product and replace it or at least replaced the Y pipe. I hate to be this blunt but their (Hooker) customer's service flat a$s sucks! :mad: The kit was around 3 years old, a few thous miles & they wouldn't help me in no way shape or form. Hell, they wouldn't even sale me the Y section itself or give me a break on a new kit. Reply I got from them was with my car being driven so little, it had not kept the moisture burnt out of it exhaust and warranty was for 90 days. That may be the case but still I should have got more than a couple thous miles out of it.

For the budget minded or money....of a stock style replacment system...the Pypes is hands down best value on the market. It's not the best fitting, as a you have to cut a few inches off the ends of the Y pipe to get it to fit correctly....if they have not corrected. There is better looking (polished) kits out there. There are also better flowing kit on the market but for a car in the mid 11 sec range and up, is it needed. ;) What I'm getting at is....for a driven street car I feel it's the best choice for the money, in a stainless steel kit.

Ok sure there is kits out there I'd like to have over the pypes but none in the $300 range. AND IT DAMN SURE WOULD NOT BE THE HOOKER!

What am I wrong about?

I said the ATR's are louder than most and definately drones. How do I know this? My car has the ATR kit.

Pypes are louder than AeroChambers and sound similar to ATR's altho not as loud.

AeroChambers drone the least amount.

I never mentioned rust and Im sorry to hear that your Hooker system rusted out on you. I can understand how your Hooker system would be louder than your Pypes system....especially with a rusted y pipe.

Based on your experience with the Hooker system, I would imagine the OP will steer away from it. I will admit the Pypes is a heck of a deal.

The Pypes system if I remember correctly sounds similar to the ATR's which are louder than most and definately drones.

Not the case.....pype is a lot quietier than ATR

Pypes are louder than AeroChambers and sound similar to ATR's altho not as loud.

AeroChambers drone the least amount.

The Pypes system has NO DRONE what so ever. I own all three so I'm sure. The pypes w/ the race pro muffs is the quietest of all 3 system.

EDITED Because I sounded like a smart ass

Bill not poking at you in my post so don't take it wrong....All's Good :)

The hooker is junk...the ATR is louder, the pypes is the quietest with the least amount of drone of the 3 kits.

I'll argee to that :biggrin:

Even prior to the hooker kit failing, it was quit a bit louder than the pypes system & the hooker had a drone where the pypes does not.

I'd take the ATR again over the other two if I wasn't on a budget.

How I know this.....
87 GN Hooker w/ Aero Champers
87 Astro roof T - Pypes w/ Race Pros
87 White T - ATR w/ pitbulls

I have a 2nd brand new pypes kit waiting to be installed on the GN, however I will be using the aero chambers with the kit because I want it louder than the race pros. (big grin smilie goes here)

The Pypes system, for a performance exhaust is not very loud at all. Has a nice sound and I don't have any drone. I have driven in a couple of GN's with the Hooker system, and I thought the "noise level" was subjectively comparible. I don't think one was "louder" than the other at idle or cruising. My car under hard acceleration sounded "meaner"...but not necessarily louder. I think its the best deal on a 2.5" exhaust, its stainless (not the high end polished type, more like the OE stainless exhaust on newer cars, it will turn color). I had a problem getting it to fit until I read the directions (start the install from rear and move forward:rolleyes:), then all was well:smile:. It was a quick decision for me, I did not want loud, I did not want rust/rot and like most-always on a budget.

I'm up here in Canada and have had a Hooker system on my car for years...with no issues.

Bill not poking at you in my post so don't take it wrong....All's Good :)

The hooker is junk...the ATR is louder, the pypes is the quietest with the least amount of drone of the 3 kits.

I'll argee to that :biggrin:

Even prior to the hooker kit failing, it was quit a bit louder than the pypes system & the hooker had a drone where the pypes does not.

I'd take the ATR again over the other two if I wasn't on a budget.

How I know this.....
87 GN Hooker w/ Aero Champers
87 Astro roof T - Pypes w/ Race Pros
87 White T - ATR w/ pitbulls

I have a 2nd brand new pypes kit waiting to be installed on the GN, however I will be using the aero chambers with the kit because I want it louder than the race pros. (big grin smilie goes here)

Yes, all is good. Nothing wrong with having a discussion and sharing opinions.

Hell, infact you almost have me convinced that I should replace my ATR's with Pypes now because I want something quieter thats not going to rust. ;)

hooker is way better,i had a pypes on one of my other cars and it sucked bolt on fit my ass:mad:

Was the other car a Buick? No one said it was a bolt up fitment. It needs a few inches trim off then fitment and install will be easy.

Wonder if you'll still feel the same way when that hooker system has rusted out?

Throw you a poll out there and get you a count on rusted out hooker systems.

One advantage of the hooker is once you have a big ole rusted out hole....You don't have to worry about adding a dump pipe.

I have a 3" full system, turbo to tailpipe, with a Hooker Aerochamber.

With 3" piping there is a VERY definate drone at 1,800-2,000 RPMS. It's not quiet by any means. Sounds tough as Hell, but can get a little annoying on long steady cruises.

Ive had the Hooker exhaust on three of my Buicks (two were TRs) and not any problems. First one lasted several years through bad winters and the second one came on my WH-1 T-Type when I bought it back on 2004. And that was a Massachussets car too. Not a problem. Granted both of them got driven daily. And when I wrecked the WH-1, I sold it to a board member who put it on his T-Type. I believe he sold it as well when he parted that car out. When I bought my current GN in 2007, it also came with the Hooker kit. Three years later its still intact and in great shape. Granted Ive put 20,000 miles on it since I bought it but still. And its seen salt and snow a few times as well. And rain too.

Ive installed the Pypes kit before. It fits okay but needs alot of tweaking. And even then the tailpipes were in extremely close proximity to the coil springs. Not something I liked too much. Also its not a "bolt-in". You've got to drill holes in the frame or at least we had to. My car has a 3" THDP and no cat and the Hooker catback with the AeroChamber mufflers. No drone at cruising speeds. And if it does, I turn the stereo up more. Maybe in a few years when it rusts off the car I'll replace it with something else.

TorqueTech is good stuff too. As well as the RJC 3" expansion style exhaust. Ive seen both and they fit and sound good.

ATR stuff I dont think Id personally want on a TR that got frequent street use.

I have a hooker system with Aero chambers. When I 1st got it, I didn't know about any other exhaust kit for this car other then flowmasters 2.25'' system. Which i never liked the idea any exhaust being smaller then 2.5 or hot flowmaster had it setup. I knew Hooker being mild steel,(rust) I needed to coat it.

All i did was use engine enamel high temp on the pipes. Looks great to this day.

If i knew then what I know now, I would have gotten SS 2.5'' exhaust kit with aero mufflers. Would have cost about the same as the hooker system and i wouldn't have to worry about rust.

4 seasons and 40k miles on my hooker setup and it's in great shape. They do need to be hot to keep the moisture out though, so I try to heat it up on a regular basis! No rust issues then.

I have the Hooker system on my car, and Im not to happy with the way it sounds. Its hard to describe but all I can say is I wouldnt buy it again.