Purchasing my first GN

nwb300

I'm new to this website and was recommended from a friend at work about how helpful you guys are. I've been wanting a GN for a loooong time and have a chance to get a 87 with 97k on it. The guy wants around 6k for it and has this to say about it "i put a new cam, chain, gear, and had the heads redone a couple of years ago. practically everything under hood has been replaced except the block. has 97000 origional miles on it. body is decent. under body/floorpans are great. Interior is perfect. I have the motor back together it just needs odds and ends to finish up. I have owned for 16 years and it has always been in a heated garage until a few months ago when i put it into my pole barn." He said it has sat for 2 years and needs hoses, wires, and the cylinders could use a good lube job before firing it up. From the pics the body looks really solid and the interior is just as nice as he described. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

Sounds like an OK deal if he will let you prime the motor and run it before purchase. If not you need to assume there is an expensive reason it has sat for 2 years

pics would be helpful. do a carfax for what thats worth. any chance you could take someone along whos a little more knowledgable? it sounds as if it may be a project car and unless you have the patience and are mechanically inclined i would pass. i once had a very nice random offer for my car, and i said to the guy its not for sale why are you asking? he said because its not for sale. kinda makes sense. if you think youre saving money by having you finish up the "odds and ends" youre probably not sorry to say. look at a nice finished car in the section here on this board. youll be buying from a knowledgable fellow enthusiast who youll be able to communicate with fairly easy thru this board. trust me the previous owners experiences can be invaluable. good luck

You should probably put a "general" location in your details so that we can direct you to knowledgeable people in your area.

The price sounds good but "odds and ends" would worry me- especially if you do not know about these cars. If the car was down for the past 2 years, it could potentially be more of a "project" than you are anticipating.

Got any pics or additional details?

If it has no rust and interior is in good shape it sounds like a good deal if it runs or not. Rust sucks. Interior can get expensive too.

Sounds like a decent deal, but you might suggest a deal where he needs to get it running first. I would be a little nervous about buying a basket case as my first GN. Now, after owning one for years it'd be no sweat, but if I were new to them, probably not going to happen. Like suggested, list your location and maybe get an idea who can help you out or at least come look at the car with you.

My first GN, I would be patient and find a clean, running car if funds provide.

Seems like $6k for a good condition 87 GN is a great deal to me. Maybe I'm missing something?

Hi Nick,

Have had my 1st GN for about year and half now. Sounds like right now that you're most interested in a pure street car. I agree strongest with the other guys regarding why has the car been sitting for about 2 years???? That's the big E on the eye chart to me. When these cars are running right I can't imagine any of us letting the car sit for even 2 weeks!!! Good Body & Good Interior are always very attractive. And the recent work that's been done to the car are all typical concerns to look for when buying. But if the deal is going to stand as is, be realistically prepared that you could easily put at least another $1,500 into parts & labor resolving those unknown issues that are preventing the car from being in running condition. Given that, I would pass on the $6,000 price. Best of luck & lean on the most knowledgable guys here for their opinions.

The fact that he had heads and etc, done 2 years ago and then around the same time decides to not use it would definitely set off my spidey sense.
Just the fact that it is in a garage and not being used wouldn't really bother me. A LOT of people who have muscelcars don't really drive them. Actually there was a post awhile back as to who's car is running and a lot of people said there's wasn't. Most people do start them once in a while though.
I WOULD NOT touch that car unless you bring a TurboRegal specific mechanic along with you (you could just ask someone on this board) AND you start the car up and drive it.
Oh and around $6000 is awesome if the body/interior is straight and the car runs half way decent (no apparent engine work needed).

Boost line

Heads replaced.. Why???possibly blown headgaskets= coolant in the engine,crank.. Beadings.. I lived this situation years ago.. The boost line rotted and fell off,i over boosted,blew headgaskets.. Took every precaution, a small amount of coolant went into block..changed oil several times(cleaned as best as possible) about 4000 miles later a lower engine knock,sooo this is what could happen.. Not to scare you, but just a consideration... Even with all that said $6000.00 does not sound bad for a solid car...good luck and welcome!!!

I did this with my first TR. It was super solid and rust free and I gave $4500 for it. I bought it not running and had never even ridden in a TR before. I've built Buick v8s but these cars are completely different from anything else. Anyway, after putting in a new engine wiring harness and fuel system upgrades my car was running. Unfortunately it took less than a couple months of "spirited" driving:D to finish off the stock transmission. Thats a $1500 fix even if you pull and replace it yourself. If the trans has never been done and you're going to run it hard count on putting a tranny in it. These things are addictive so count on throwing alot money at it. I sold mine and it was a big mistake in spite of the pain in the butt it was to work on. A good running TR is worth its weight in $hit eating grins.....:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Thanks for your help everybody. I have not had time to update my profile, but i'm from Saginaw Michigan and the car is in Northwood Ohio. Its a 3 hour plus drive so from what i'm hearing im just going to pass. I appreciate all your input and I'm thinking of just putting a couple extra $$$ together and get one that is currently running. Hopefully soon i'll have pics of my new GN.

I would add to not limit yourseft to a GN unless you just have to have one. A T type has the same drivetrain but a lower initial cost when new. That initial cost may or may not factor into a used price though. Point is there are other turbo Buicks besides the GN.

Good call john, I'd take either. I like the interior better on the GN though. Both kick ass!!!!

Thanks for your help everybody. I have not had time to update my profile, but i'm from Saginaw Michigan and the car is in Northwood Ohio. Its a 3 hour plus drive so from what i'm hearing im just going to pass. I appreciate all your input and I'm thinking of just putting a couple extra $$$ together and get one that is currently running. Hopefully soon i'll have pics of my new GN.

Wise thinking especially for your first turbo car. WAY too risky to roll the dice on that car sitting with all of the work done and not running. Remember- you are in a great position with the economy as such as it is as it is a BUYER'S market and cash is king! Some people get in over their heads on spending right after Christmas and need cash to make minimum payments (foolish move). As an aside, my freebie for the day (and Public Service tip) is is recommend Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University series. Young people should also try and save $100 per month and at compound interest one could become a millionaire in 30-40 yrs. Negotiate my friend on any car purchase you may be seriously interested in. :biggrin::wink:

I am going to agree . I bought a clean week occassionaly driver and I had to go thru the whole thing . Save your money and get take advantage of some of the great sales going on on this forum . I wanted a GN not a T-type but if you dont care you cant beat the roughly 2 k price difference for the same car .