Pulsating Break Pedal

NY87GN

Pulsating breaks, title says it all..

When foot on beak pedal, I feel the pedal has a slight pulse like feeling.

Any feedback would be very helpful, thank you in advance.

Most brake pulsation is caused by warped front rotors.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Sorry should have specified, it happens at a stand still. Not so much in motion.

Mine does the same thing so it will be interesting to see what people have to say. I know it must have something to do with the infamous powermaster.

If you're inside the garage and someplace quiet, open the hood and listen to the motor/powermaster while this pulsation is happening.
From the sound of your description is sounds like the the powermaster motor/pump might be clicking on and off. If so, this needs to be corrected immediately lest you burn up the motor and cause a very expensive issue. My experience has taught me that with the pump clicking on and off, this is usually caused by a faulty pressure switch. Assuming that's what's happening.

Turbo Dave, many thanks...
Just a side note and observation as I am new to the Buick world and this forum. The members of this forum are truly amazing, knowledgeable and responsive. I really appreciate everyone’s responses. I have learned so much since joining this group!!! :cool:

If you're inside the garage and someplace quiet, open the hood and listen to the motor/powermaster while this pulsation is happening.
From the sound of your description is sounds like the the powermaster motor/pump might be clicking on and off. If so, this needs to be corrected immediately lest you burn up the motor and cause a very expensive issue. My experience has taught me that with the pump clicking on and off, this is usually caused by a faulty pressure switch. Assuming that's what's happening.

Yes, Like NY87GN said, .... Thank you Turbo Dave!

Okay, been reading lots about vacuum systems vs hydro, I think I might replace my system and go with a hydro system, can anyone assist with the type of hydro system I would need. I read that one from a caddi or of like would work, I just want to narrow it down and where to get the best product for the $$.
As always much appreciate your feedback..

I had the same issue a couple months back. Sitting at a traffic light felt a faint pulse in the pedal en route to work. After driving around for about 20 mins at lunch time, pulled into a parking spot and the brake pedal went straight to the floor. Had to damn near push it into the engine bay to stop before running into the work van in front of me. Turns out the powermaster motor took a dump.

A few years back, mine exhibited the same 'pulsing pedal'. It was the pressure switch on top of the Powermaster that was faulty. If you don't replace the switch, it will eventually take out the motor.

I had the same issue a couple months back. Sitting at a traffic light felt a faint pulse in the pedal en route to work. After driving around for about 20 mins at lunch time, pulled into a parking spot and the brake pedal went straight to the floor. Had to damn near push it into the engine bay to stop before running into the work van in front of me. Turns out the powermaster motor took a dump.

Not surprising. When problems arise in the powermaster system it needs immediate attention. Most braking systems in cars are completely ignored, or somewhat.
Do that to the powermaster and you're asking for trouble. Many new cars (2010 and newer) are using some sort of electrically assisted braking system (not referring to anti lock). When they get ignored as people are used to doing, it will bite them just as quickly as the powermaster will.

For those of us that pay attention to what's going on with the powermaster, and properly maintain it, it will last decades. Both systems in my two GN's are original, and have only required an occasional accumulator replacement every 5 years or so, and each is on their second pressure switch.

Ignore the pulsing in the pedal,
Ignore the brake light,
Ignore weird noises, clicking,

Trouble will follow.

To chime in I am not sure if I have the same situation.. I do not really feel a pulse in the pedal.. but there is a noticeably audible clicking sound( maybe its the pulsation and I can't feel it) that i hear when i have the brakes applied, seems to increase in frequency of the clicks the harder i push the brake. Its noticeable enough that at a stop light my wife asked what was clicking. Thoughts?

Driving it any further without nailing down where the noise is coming from could likely cause a very expensive failure.

To chime in I am not sure if I have the same situation.. I do not really feel a pulse in the pedal.. but there is a noticeably audible clicking sound( maybe its the pulsation and I can't feel it) that i hear when i have the brakes applied, seems to increase in frequency of the clicks the harder i push the brake. Its noticeable enough that at a stop light my wife asked what was clicking. Thoughts?

Sounds like the pressure switch is bad. The clicking is intermittent voltage being sent to the motor relay due to bad internal contacts. Replace that switch soon or it will destroy the motor.