Pulling Oil Pan, have some ?'s

O

Old Blue

I'm thinking of pulling my oil pan. How difficult a job is this? Looks pretty simple. I'm thinking if I pull the pan I should put in a new pickup. What about the rod bearings? How difficult is it to replace them? What all tools do I need to accomplish this task, I've never messed with anything like this before so its a little new to me. I'm pretty mechanically inclined though.:D Thanks.

Originally posted by Old Blue
I'm thinking of pulling my oil pan. How difficult a job is this? Looks pretty simple. I'm thinking if I pull the pan I should put in a new pickup. What about the rod bearings? How difficult is it to replace them? What all tools do I need to accomplish this task, I've never messed with anything like this before so its a little new to me. I'm pretty mechanically inclined though.:D Thanks.

It's not to hard, you may have to rotate the crank to move some of the lobs around but the pan will come out, but sometimes I have gotten it out with out doing anything. You will want to take the fan belt off to so you don't have any strain on the crank.

As far as changing the oil pickup tube, I would check it and just clean it, unless it's cracked or the screen is damaged you should be ok. (if not I'm sure someone will have another reason)

If your going to change the rod bearings it can be done one at a time, don't forget to pull your plugs because you may have to push the piston up a little so you can slide out the old bearing.
You can use the new half to push the old one out on the top side.

You also might get one bearing out first before you buy new ones so you can get the size you need. The bearings on mine were one under so the first set had to go back so I could replace them with what GM put in.

I'm sure if I missed anything someone will let me know :)

Good Luck

Neal

No pro mind ya, but this is my take on it as I have been there.
1.)Remove the crossover pipe (4 Bolts)....watch those eyes for falling crap
2.)Remove trans inspection cover (4 Sheet metal screws)
3.)Remove pan bolts. You will most likely have to use a small wrench on the ones behind the frame crossover member, not fun, and my favorite was the nut on the stud that the trans cooling lines are attached to the whole stud will most likely turn and not the nut, clearance is a minimum, patients is required.
The pan can be a bear to get off, turning of the crank will help get the lobs out of the way, easier with plugs out, and some have had to unbolt motor mount and jack up the motor a little to get it out.
4.)I replaced the pickup pipe, it’s cheap.
5.)I'm not sure about doing the crank bearings one at a time. I have been told to loosen all the caps to take the pressure off. They are on there at 100ft/lbs, cheater bar is good unless you are the Hulk. Use caution not to scratch the crank or bearings.
You can do a search on here and find many suggestions and most will tell you to pull the motor and do it the easy way. Most claim to be able to pull the motor in 2 hours or so. I'm guessing they have had a lot of practice and all the right stuff in place too.
They make one over and under replacements as well as straight up stock. I like the felpro cork pan gasket put a small skin coat on the pan and attach the gasket to the pan, place upside down with some weight and let it sit over night, that way that puppy will stay in place when you are fighting it back on. Read about the rear main seal proceedures also Enjoy!

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/engine/enginepage.html
Good stuff and just about everything you need to know if ya didn't already.