PUBLIC HIGH SCHOOL Can this be for real?

Little6pack

Well the saying DUMBING DOWN of AMERICA is true.

My Son maybe attending the local public High school.
He has enjoyed his private school education & I have
had it with paying & not getting any vouchers. Plus
he wants to take auto shop for a fun class. As long
as all the others are College.

He went to checkout then NEW PUBLIC high school that had an open house.
2 things bothered me.

A) Only 4 classes per day????? I remember 6
B) I was amazed to hear they have a MANDATORY class in how to get around the high school because it is so big DUH! :rolleyes:

Imagine not being able to find your way around in life & you need some form of government to help you find your way.

What will public schools think of next

They are using the A/B Block schedual. The student takes 8 classes but only attends 4 a day for an hour and a half.

Ex.
Monday -"A" English, Math, Sociology, P.E.
Tuesday -"B" Physics, Wood working, Government, Study Hall
Wednesday - "A" English, ...

and so on

Its actually a cool set up, you have plenty of time to do your homework and you dont have to cary arroud so many books a day.

As for the manditory class :rolleyes:

BOOSTD

You might have misunderstood him. Its probably not a semester long class but maybe for a few days or weeks. Like you said if its a brand new school none of the kids will know what is where. This is what they did at my school. It wasnt a semester long class.

As far as the block scheduel it is MUCH better. More time is spent in class actually learning not just 7 50 minute classes where you dont have to pay attention and by the time you actually start paying attention its over. Its much better because you dont have to bring as many books around and dont have 7 classes of homework and studying to do everyday. It als gets kid used to what college is going to be like, more spread out not 7 classes a day.

Yes, you are a little out of touch with the way things are done.

I used to teach a middle school that had the 'block schedule'. This system has it's advantages and disadvantages as with anything else in life.

Pros: As stated before, it makes it easier for students not having to carry around as many books thru the day. Students spend less time per day travelling from class to class. This transit time between classes does take up more time out of the academic day. Less time students spend in the hallways also gives students less time needed in their lockers, socializing with other students, reduces tardiness/truency, etc. As said before, this prepares students for college and the longer classes used in college.

Cons: These longer classes, typically 70-90 mins each also require teachers to divide classes into segments to retain students attention/focus. A class 90 minutes long of the same hum-drum thing will not last, is not very effective in terms of material retention, and will result in a class which is difficult to manage for a teacher. These sort of classes typically result in students getting into trouble with the teacher and having to be referred to administration for disciplinary measures. Not always the students fault. A student who misses a block class is essentially missing two classes for every one block. This can quickly pile on the work for a student who is ill for more then one day. Block schedules can create scheduling difficulties with lunch time. Due to the fact that the class is 90 minutes long, some schools attempt to interupt one of the classes in some sort of mini-block to have lunch for each grade. For example, 3rd period may be 30 minutes of instruction, pause for lunch of 30 minutes, then an additional 60 minutes for the remainder of instruction. Futher scheduling problems can be seen in secondary and tertiary classes such as gym, art, music, band, foreign language, etc.

As a teacher, I wasn't very fond of the block schedule until using it for three years. I guess you can say it grew on me. There are days I would love it and days I would curse it. My classes were 84 minutes each.

Also, be aware that all schools have different scheduling. Perhaps there is another school near you that you can 'ask' that you child be placed in. Sometimes this requires being nice to the Board of Ed. as you are trying to have your child a school out of his/her zone. If your child does attend this particular school just keep an eye on how well the teachers manage their class. Any administrator will question a teachers lesson plan to make sure it keeps students engaged. Also, keep an eye on number of students in a class. 24 students in a class is as far as I like to go. Beyond that can be a nightmare for 90 minutes and a recipe for poor instruction or a damn good teacher.

Good luck. Public school isn't THAT bad. As with anything else.. there are good and bad points, just like with Private school.

Mr. Chris Wren
Volkshochschule Bielefeld
English Teacher -- Englischlehrer

This was the first year for block scheduling. I was leary of it but so far my son has had a good experience with it. One added side effect is his first class of the day was with a teacher that marked him tardy just about everyday in the fall. He was on the soccer team and had to drop his stuff off at the gym. His class was at at the opposite side of the school and he would just barely get to it on time. That class is all done now so at least he can have a different teacher first thing. Instead of one class lasting the whole year, you finish it in half a year but spend twice as long in class to do it so you get 4 classes instead of 7 or 8.
BTW, Nashua High North has some excellent teachers. Stick with the top level classes and his classmates will be much higher quality. The low classes do have lots of problem childs (like the ones you were in:D )

Originally posted by Pronto
This was the first year for block scheduling. I was leary of it but so far my son has had a good experience with it. One added side effect is his first class of the day was with a teacher that marked him tardy just about everyday in the fall. He was on the soccer team and had to drop his stuff off at the gym. His class was at at the opposite side of the school and he would just barely get to it on time. That class is all done now so at least he can have a different teacher first thing. Instead of one class lasting the whole year, you finish it in half a year but spend twice as long in class to do it so you get 4 classes instead of 7 or 8.
BTW, Nashua High North has some excellent teachers. Stick with the top level classes and his classmates will be much higher quality. The low classes do have lots of problem childs (like the ones you were in:D )

That just sounds like a PITA teacher. I will give students leaway if they have a reasonable excuse and aren't abusing that. That's not a result of block schedules though. If your childs grades weren't effected, then I wouldn't worry too much. But if you think they were, it may be worth looking at. Teachers have to be hardasses sometimes because of students being lazy/ abusive of priviledges. But if there are legitimate reasons, that shouldn't stand in the way of academics. Of course, unless he was 15 mins late every day. Was this a 'homeroom' class?

Sidebar note: I used to teach those very children who were problem children. Difference between problem children because of behavior and problem children due to learning disability/special education. Uphill fight for a teacher.

Insert Pink Floyd CD here and play Another Brick in the Wall..;)

Originally posted by GRAYGHOST
Insert Pink Floyd CD here and play Another Brick in the Wall..;)

Now playing. Uncut 11 min version. :) One of my favs..

Ya it was his homeroom class. He would just be in the door as the bell rang. Of course if he left 5 minutes earlier for school, he probably wouldn't have had that problem;)
One of the real problems I see with alot of kids it that it's not considered "cool" to be intellegent. The time and effort to be scholasticly excellent is not appreciated or celebrated in the news, movies, music vids, etc. The big messasge today is take the easy way, cheat your way though and if your smart then something is wrong with you. Too bad the ones that fall for that crap end up flipping burgers for the rest of their life.

Sorry for the length of this but it shows our countrys screwed up education policy

Take the time to read this. If you don't understand why educators resent the NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND ACT, this may help. If you do understand, you'll enjoy this analogy. It was forwarded to me by a friend and written by John S. Taylor, Superintendent of Schools for the Lancaster County School District. Be a friend to a teacher and pass this on.

The Best Dentist - "Absolutely" the Best Dentist

My dentist is great! He sends me reminders so I don't forget checkups. He uses the latest techniques based on research. He never hurts me, and I've got all my teeth, so when I ran into him the other day, I was eager to see if he'd heard about the new state program. I knew he'd think it was great.

"Did you hear about the new state program to measure effectiveness of dentists with their young patients?" I said.

"No," he said. He didn't seem too thrilled. "How will they do that?"

"It's quite simple," I said. "They will just count the number of cavities each patient has at age 10, 14, and 18 and average that to determine a dentist's rating. Dentists will be rated as Excellent, Good, Average, Below average, and Unsatisfactory. That way parents will know which are the best dentists. It will also encourage the less effective dentists to get better," I said. "Poor dentists who don't improve could lose their licenses to practice."

"That's terrible," he said.

"What? That's not a good attitude," I said. "Don't you think we should try to improve children's dental health in this state?"

"Sure I do," he said, "but that's not a fair way to determine who is practicing good dentistry."

"Why not?" I said. "It makes perfect sense to me."

"Well, it's so obvious," he said. "Don't you see that dentists don't all work with the same clientele; so much depends on things we can't control? For example," he said, "I work in a rural area with a high percentage of patients from deprived homes, while some of my colleagues work in upper middle class neighborhoods. Many of the parents I work with don't bring their children to see me until there is some kind of problem and I don't get to do much preventive work.

Also," he said, "many of the parents I serve let their kids eat way too much candy from an early age, unlike more educated parents who understand the relationship between sugar and decay. To top it all off," he added, "so many of my clients have well water which is untreated and has no fluoride in it. Do you have any idea how much difference early use of fluoride can make?"

"It sounds like you're making excuses," I said. I couldn't believe my dentist would be so defensive. He does a great job.

"I am not!" he said. "My best patients are as good as anyone's, my work is as good as anyone's, but my average cavity count is going to be higher than a lot of other dentists because I chose to work where I am needed most."

"Don't get touchy," I said.

"Touchy?" he said. His face had turned red and from the way he was clenching and unclenching his jaws, I was afraid he was going to damage his teeth. "Try furious. In a system like this, I will end up being rated average, below average, or worse. My more educated patients who see these ratings may believe this so-called rating actually is a measure of my ability and proficiency as a dentist.

They may leave me, and I'll be left with only the most needy patients. And my cavity average score will get even worse. On top of that, how will I attract good dental hygienists and other excellent dentists to my practice if it is labeled below average?"

"I think you are overreacting," I said. "'Complaining, excuse making and stonewalling won't improve dental health'... I am quoting from a leading member of the DOC," I noted.

"What's the DOC?" he asked.

"It's the Dental Oversight Committee," I said, "a group made up of mostly laypersons to make sure dentistry in this state gets improved."

"Spare me," he said, "I can't believe this. Reasonable people won't buy it," he said hopefully.

The program sounded reasonable to me, so I asked, "How else would you measure good dentistry?"

"Come watch me work," he said. "Observe my processes."

"That's too complicated and time consuming," I said. "Cavities are the bottom line, and you can't argue with the bottom line. It's an absolute measure."

"That's what I'm afraid my parents and prospective patients will think. This can't be happening," he said despairingly.

"Now, now," I said, "don't despair. The state will help you some."

"How?" he said.

"If you're rated poorly, they'll send a dentist who is rated excellent to help straighten you out," I said brightly.

"You mean," he said, "they'll send a dentist with a wealthy clientele to show me how to work on severe juvenile dental problems with which I have probably had much more experience? Big help."

"There you go again," I said. "You aren't acting professionally at all."

"You don't get it," he said. "Doing this would be like grading schools and teachers on an average score on a test of children's progress without regard to influences outside the school, the home, the community served and stuff like that. Why would they do something so unfair to dentists? No one would ever think of doing that to schools."

I just shook my head sadly, but he had brightened.

"I'm going to write my representatives and senator," he said. "I'll use the school analogy - surely they will see the point."

He walked off with that look of hope mixed with fear and suppressed anger that I see in the mirror so often lately

Originally posted by Pronto
Ya it was his homeroom class. He would just be in the door as the bell rang. Of course if he left 5 minutes earlier for school, he probably wouldn't have had that problem;)
One of the real problems I see with alot of kids it that it's not considered "cool" to be intellegent. The time and effort to be scholasticly excellent is not appreciated or celebrated in the news, movies, music vids, etc. The big messasge today is take the easy way, cheat your way though and if your smart then something is wrong with you. Too bad the ones that fall for that crap end up flipping burgers for the rest of their life.

About him leaving 5 minutes earlier. That may not have helped. Many schools will not open the doors until a certain time anyways only giving students 10 minutes or so to get from lockers to class. Listen to me defending students.

I couldn't agree with you more about taking the easy way out. It's half the job to make students realize the importance of an education. The easy part seems to be actually 'teaching' the material once they're listening.

Some teachers just seem to have some kind of spark to get the kids interested or at least pay attention for a while. I always did much better in classes that I liked the teacher in. Guess that's a no brainer though. I'm proud of my son though, he has a real good grasp of what it takes to succeed in this world and is not afraid or lazy to do his schoolwork to make his goal. Wish it was the same for doing his chores.

turbot2496,

That was a fantastic analogy. I haven't fully reviewed the "No Child Left Behind" program yet, as I'm out of the country at the moment. Still, I've heard from former colleagues that it's causing headaches across the board. I will be sure to pass this along to my teacher friends.

my school had one of those types of sceduales, 4 classes from august to december, then a new four for janurary till june... i kinda liked it, but, it sucked if you hated the class, because you were stuck there 1.5 hours