PTC 9.5 NL Converter

ds4545

The PTC 9.5 NL converter seems to be one of the most recommended converters. Can someone explain the performance difference in the 9.5 NL and the 10 LU?

The PTC 9.5 NL converter seems to be one of the most recommended converters. Can someone explain the performance difference in the 9.5 NL and the 10 LU?

The 9.5" is the ultimate converter from a performance standpoint. Very adjustable and very efficient. The quickest and fsatest TR's run versions of the PTC 9.5". I had 3% slip with mine at 133 mph. The 10" is a lockup unit that is available in two different stall speeds and is typically spec'd for cars running slower than 11.0 where the owner wants to retain lockup.

The 9.5" is the ultimate converter from a performance standpoint. Very adjustable and very efficient. The quickest and fsatest TR's run versions of the PTC 9.5". I had 3% slip with mine at 133 mph. The 10" is a lockup unit that is available in two different stall speeds and is typically spec'd for cars running slower than 11.0 where the owner wants to retain lockup.

I agree with Bison. The 9.5 is customer made and spec'ed to your combo. I personally have the 10 L/U in the 2800 and love mine, but like Bison perfect for my power level. Just get with Dusty, let him know your goals with the car, and your combo. He will personally show an interest and guide you to what is best for your application. Dusty is the man!:biggrin:

The ptc 9.5 is awesome! Had a 26.5mph. pickup on the 1\8 at the track sunday! Also cruises at less rpm compared to art\carr conv. Later, Bob.

Im guessing thats a typo!! 26.5 MPH??? Mike:cool:

I think he means... he picked up 26.5 mph between his 1/8 trap speed and the 1/4 trap speed. How much mph you pick up.... is highly influenced by how well your converter "couples"....... a crappy converter will get smoked in the mph picked up between the 1/8 to the 1/4...... and you will be buzzing the engine up higher on the crappy converter....

Clear as mud?

The 9.5 works better on both ends of the table. It will outspool and also couple better than the 10" converter. It's a purpose built converter designed to spool large turbos on small ci engines that make a lot of power per ci. A converter such as the 10" converters we commonly see reach a point where they can not couple the power and the converter will get very loose up top. The 9.5 is very difficult to "blow through" and was proven by Dave Fiscus on his 170+ runs.

The 9.5 can be daily driven because it behaves much better than the older 9" non locks so it's really the best thing out there IMO. You get a converter that's adaptable to almost every combo imaginable, couples well on street driven cars during cruise and will withstand more power than our V6's will ever make.

The 10" LU and NLU do have their place. They are roughly $400 cheaper because the parts inside are bought off a shelf rather than hand made. The 10" is proven to be a great converter for the more budget minded guys who are looking for 11.00 type performance. The key with the 10" converters is getting the combo right. Special attention must be paid to rpm range, engine size and turbo size on any engine but it's much more critical with the 10" converters. I have also seen several converters in the Buick world called a 9.5 but are actually what I call a 10" converter.

The efficiency of the PTC 9.5" converter is hard to beat. My car drops 1100 rpms on the 2-3 shift.

I just installed mine over the past weekend and in the limited driving i've had I really like it. The rpm drop was from 5600 down to 4600 on the 2-3 shift. Very impressive.:cool:

Mine drops to 5050 at 28.5psi. 3.5% slip up top. If i run under 23psi it drops too low. Mine needs to be over 4800.