pt51 vs. te60

Darth LC2

Muscle Building
Alright fellas and fellettes, what is going to be the more powerful of theses 2 turbos? The pt51 or the te60. I have a 3000-3400 9.5in lock-up t.c. Any input is appreciated.

with that converter, you could go 61 or 62 with no problems.

The 60 is more restrictive on the exhaust side, but has a bigger compressor than the 51. With a loose converter, I'd go bigger than either the 60 or 51.

buy the 60...buy the 60...;)

I can tell you though, with my 3000 stall D-5, she'll haze the 265-50-15's up to 40-45 just laying in it from the line. And that's on pump gas, 18 pounds. This turbo will come alive at 24 pounds on race gas.

For a street turbo this is an excellent choice because it has the small garrett .63 a/r exhaust housing, which spools it up quick. Yet the compressor wheel still flows enough to get you some low 11's with a sharp tune. Possibly high 10's depending on the rest of the combo and how brave you are with the boost. With the converter you have, traction would be your only major concern. Hell you could even bump up to a larger exhaust housing for next to nothing and pick it up more on the big end.

If you would like I can take some digital shots of the turbo and send them to you to take a look at. She's pretty!:D

I happy with my 51, run 6.90s and 7.0's in the 1/8th with 26 lb. boost on a 34,000 mile stock motor, v-2 front mount, 50 lb inj., exhaust and modified d-5 converter. Oh yea , it weighs 3700 lb also. Everybody has their own opinon. I like my combo but the mustang boys sure don't.;)

With that converter a te-61 would be a GREAT choice! I'm running one in my car with a 3200 rpm stall "tophat" converter & the street manners are excellent. Spools faster than the stock stuff did & has given my car the "juice" to run solid 11.4's@119.5 with a street chip, xylene blend & only ~22 lbs of boost. :D

Doug C.

AGREE, with UNGN & dconnor. The 51 or 60 are not as efficient as the 61. But my real $0.02 is to up the stall a little more to 3600 and go with a 66 or 70 and be done with it. The 66 or 70 will push the limit of the stock block. However, it would be a good idea to have head work done if you have not already. So that would be more $$$$$. Up to you brother, it's your car!!!

I also have a TE-61 and I have a car with the TE-60. The TE-61 is much more fun on the highway during high boost. Only problem is that I don't have enough converter. Art Carr 10" 2800.
Car came that way, time to get an 9-11.

Dconner - good times with the Xylene blend. How will she do on race gas and a little extra timing??

N.C. in the House!

Kernersville here....High Point for the action, or snacks I should say(Mustangs):D

hey man if you are not too busy could you email me those pics of the turbo. really interested. just want a turbo that will get me into the low 11 or high 10 if i chose to w/ out a lot of boost. ie. 26-28 lbs. just crazy man.

Originally posted by UNGN
with that converter, you could go 61 or 62 with no problems.

The 60 is more restrictive on the exhaust side, but has a bigger compressor than the 51. With a loose converter, I'd go bigger than either the 60 or 51.

I TOTALLY agree. That's what I wish I did.

Originally posted by kevinw
I happy with my 51, run 6.90s and 7.0's in the 1/8th with 26 lb. boost on a 34,000 mile stock motor, v-2 front mount, 50 lb inj., exhaust and modified d-5 converter. Oh yea , it weighs 3700 lb also. Everybody has their own opinon. I like my combo but the mustang boys sure don't.;)

That's probably the quickest full weight Buick I've heard of with a 51 turbo. What gear/rear tire combo are you running? Any 1/4 mile times?

-Banning.

I live in western north carolina. No I haven't been to the quarter yet. Bristol is about an hour or so away but I have no roll bar or any of the other stuff it takes to run in the 11's safety wise. With the car being low mileage, I can't bring myself to put a cage in it. As far as the pt-51 issue, It works good, darn good, with my combo. Last fall I went to ShadySide dragway in Shelby, N.C. and went 7.24 at 96 mph running lean on top end with just the pt-51, 009's, stock intercooler with Dut. neck, 2 3/4" exhaust , stock d5 converter, houston dp on 26x10 mt's, stock gear, no air bags and 1.53 60 ft. Needless to say my mustang buddies were not happy. I called Joe at PTE and told him the results of the turbo , inj. and his chip, he didn't seem surprised. He said since i was happy with that, go buy a front mount, put 50's in like he said from the start , loosen up the converter and go back and run high 6's , and 7.0's , I did. I haven't messed with the motor yet, I am thinking about stock ported heads, or champion if I can get the funds (just got married and a mortgage) and maybe a cam. I 've just done bolt ons for now with the last being a RJC plate, 19-20 lb boost on pump gas and no knock. Alot of people can't get over how I tune the car with just boost ,fuel preesure and milivolts, and a scanmaster but it works for me.

kevinw---Have you tried a taller tire? I bet you would pick up mph going to a 27"-28" tall.

Look Quick, I believe I will try a 28x10 MT this year as the 26x10's I was using are worn out. Maybe the taller tire will take some of the shock coming off the line better than the 26's.