Prospective owner in NC

Banjo1

Hi guys
My name is Gary and I live in Central NC. I'm currently searching for a fairly tame GN or T Type to work on and take to cars and coffee events on weekends. My current cars are paid off, my job is great, apartment is cheap, no kids of significant other. If I don't grab one now I fear I may never. I'm going to check out the 1985 off the Greensboro craigslist this weekend, but if it's not up to snuff I don't mind waiting.

I was raised by a ford and Chevy family and one family member still owns a 1987 GN that is worked out, but he has let it go to crap sitting in the driveway. I bought one of my dream cars 5 years ago and I'm hoping lightning will strike twice.

I'm fairly mechanically inclined and I've been around a few GN's in the day but have never driven one. (Just a typhoon).

Any advice or charitable members that could throw me some facts about the local TR scene would be appreciated.

As far as idiot questions I've been lurking here for years so I think I have my qualms set aside. Now I just need to commit.

Also my first car for giggles.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 128
You are in a good location! Lots of very knowledgable TB folks in central NC. I'm really not one of them but I'm learning. What town are you in?

Might want to stick with the intercooled '86 or '87 cars. Welcome to the club!

Hi guys
My name is Gary and I live in Central NC. I'm currently searching for a fairly tame GN or T Type to work on and take to cars and coffee events on weekends. My current cars are paid off, my job is great, apartment is cheap, no kids of significant other. If I don't grab one now I fear I may never. I'm going to check out the 1985 off the Greensboro craigslist this weekend, but if it's not up to snuff I don't mind waiting.

I was raised by a ford and Chevy family and one family member still owns a 1987 GN that is worked out, but he has let it go to crap sitting in the driveway. I bought one of my dream cars 5 years ago and I'm hoping lightning will strike twice.

I'm fairly mechanically inclined and I've been around a few GN's in the day but have never driven one. (Just a typhoon).

Any advice or charitable members that could throw me some facts about the local TR scene would be appreciated.

As far as idiot questions I've been lurking here for years so I think I have my qualms set aside. Now I just need to commit.

I\ve got one for sale or partial trade...look it up in the for sale section..I'm around Greensboro.

WELP I bought one.

Needs a fair amount of work, but I do love a challenge.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    949.6 KB · Views: 105
Details?
What's it got done to it?
What does it need?

And always, more pics.:D

Congrats, and welcome to The Dark Side...

Mike Barnard

Details?
What's it got done to it?
What does it need?

And always, more pics.:D

Congrats, and welcome to The Dark Side...

Mike Barnard

It has
-alky
-moser axles and built trans
-6 pt cage
-Scanmaster II
- Bob Bailey 2 step
- Trans brake
- Line Lock
- Tach/boost guages
-Heads/pistons
- Roller cam
- Supporting fuel mods
- Vacuum swap
- S10 conversion
- Air bags
- Chip and tune for 60 degrees
- bored 30 over

Needs
- Shifter assembly replaced (have spare)
- Valve covers and gaskets (have from Gn1) may need breathers though
- Steering column loose
- Stock fan needs to be replaced (have replacement)
-Bumper filler missing (have one, needs to be painted)
-Brakes, check valve or booster is shot.

It's currently in the shop for the above, but afterwards it will need a tune and I will need some help eventually with learning the ropes.
It's no show car, but it's fun and it will give me something to tinker with, and I'm sure i'll be meeting many NC members along the way

Welcome aboard

You are in probably the best area for Turbo Regal assistance. There is this little place owned by a gentleman named Richard Clark, he knows a few things about these cars ....As do those that hang out there

Bryan

I'd say that he's off to a good start.;)
He'll find out soon though. It never ends...:D

What size turbo is on that hot rod?

Thanks guys, my Mach is pretty quick with bolt ons, but the GN is scary. Perfectly docile when cruising but that throttle is mean. News from the shop today is that the brakes have been done front and rear, and pinion seal replaced. There was also a fuel leak that a quick line swap managed. The heavier repairs start next week.

I appreciate any help I can get as I go along, I'll have to be in touch with the famed Mr Clark going forward as well. I want this machine to be healthy for a long time.

Lastly I do not know which turbo it's currently running, looks a bit older and I have receipts for a 6265 or some other similar number. I'll be sure to report back in certainty when it's home.