Propane kit is in! And....

Originally posted by import power on
Great to hear you are getting back to normal! Take it easy! So the car is not totaled...Sweet, she lives on!

Great to hear!!! :)

Originally posted by Two Lane

If bruce was amenable to the idea, I wish he would offer a service of analyzing our DS or TurboLink printouts...for an equitable fee, of course. He could make a mint!

bruce's posts are like Joe Friday's dialogue on Dragnet..."just the facts, please!"

I can't think of a time when I refused to look at a DS run. depending on what I'm doing might be a day or two thou.

I tend to be short in what I say, and some folks get upset or think I have an attitude, nope, like you said just the facts.

For those of you burning your own chips, sending a bin with the DS is even more interesting.

Bump this to the first page for the dude looking for propane injection information...;)

It will be about 10 more days until the car is ready. I have a Jay Carter chip for propane. Hopefully the chip is the problem...:)

I'm bumping this up one more time (last time I promise) :)

There is some usefull information here that others can use.

It is interesting to note the high timing problem was solved through swapping the computer, and esc (coil pack module) out. I don't know why the problem didn't get fixed the first time around, as I used known good computer, and esc modules. One thing for sure is I now have one bad coil pack, and 1 bad computer. Lessen learned, next time I will swap them both out together, at the same time.

Jay Carter had it right, at least the computer part anyway...:)

Previously posted by precesiongn:

Tim
Thanks for the advice Tim...actually it was your original post a couple of months back that made me decide to get this kit. You have the same turbo/inj as I do and were making 23psi no knock on propane only if I recall correctly. Got called into work early yesterday so I didn't have a chance to tune it nor have I tested it out one bit yet, but it is installed and ready to go. Did you mean turn the bottle one turn or the valve after the solenoid one turn on the kit? And what psi was your regulator set at? Trying to duplicate what you had going (23psi is good enough for me). Thanks Tim!

Ok, I just went out and checked. The tank valve is just obened up the entire way. The regulator valve has the pressure set at #40. The final valve is one that looks a bit like a wing-nut. This one is the one I was speaking of. It's turned 1.25 turns. That is as far as I got before the 'crash test'..:)

BTW, I have some propane tanks that I picked up for us here. I have about 5 of them left, and will sell them for 40 bucks each. This basically covers my cost, and shipping. They are a bit nicked up (white paint) and need the new valve installed to be refilled. Measureing one I cane up with approx 8" accross, and about 15" tall, not counting the valve, and protective cage at the top.

I have a digital camera now, and if someone will show me how to post them to a link somewhere, I would like to show it to you. It fits nicely along the drivers side quarter, and sits about flush with the fender wall. I paid 25 bucks each for them, so this is not a money making venture at all. I just had such a hard time finding them, I figured others would appreciate the opportunity to have one.

Let me get the picture up first, then I'll get a list, then ship them all at once...;)

I took some pictures (3 so far) of the propane set-up in the trunk. I'm new to digital photography and setting up a web page, so don't expect too much! :)

I'll be adding pictures next week to show the tank, and the valves, and also the up pipe whichil looking like a prickly pear with all the lines running into it...:)

Here is the link:

http://turbo__tim.tripod.com

I dont know if your kit supplier told you or not but under no circumstances should you EVER mount a propane tank on it's side. That's an upright cylinder you are using and mounting it sideways like that will cause the safety relief valve to not function properly.

Originally posted by JayC
I dont know if your kit supplier told you or not but under no circumstances should you EVER mount a propane tank on it's side. That's an upright cylinder you are using and mounting it sideways like that will cause the safety relief valve to not function properly.

You are 100% correct Jay. Unless it is a convertible tank it should lay the way the Manufacturer states. Never lay a vertical tank on it's side.

Hmmmm, educate me somebody.....

I assume that if the pressure becomes too great, that liquid propane will spill out? Or what? How does this work? Does the liquid interfere with the escape mechanism?

Hell. I've never heard of one of them popping, but inba car fire I guess it's possible..:)

How about a 45* angle, or a 60* angle? Would almost up-right be ok?

I guess I could relocate it to the spare wheel well...

Jay what kind of a tank are you using? What is the capacity, and where are you locating it?

I was under the impression that you are using the same size tank as mine.

Thanks for the information!

Jay, the chip you sent works great, tho I havn't tried it out with the propane yet. (Turbo seal is going....)

You want to keep a tank that was built to be vertical, vertical. Otherwise you will risk not getting vapor as the kit is intended and getting liquid instead.

Since fast eddie has 'to the topped' this thread I will respond for the last time until the spring, as I am taking the G/N off the road until then.

I just got the car running again due to the fact that the computer went bad, and advanced the timimg to 28* the result being the exhaust temperatures reaching levels that caused the pte-51 blades to melt, and the loss of the seal creating clouds of blue smoke. All this happened during one run, and was in no way associated with the fact I was running propane at the time.

Now that the computer is replaced, all that is left to do (now that the 6K worth of body work has been done) is to find a short in the dash lighting.

Since the propane has done the job of lowering the intake temperatures, in the spring I am going to inject alchy (2 stage) pre interrcooler to get further cooling, and raising the boost levels in the process.

I believe the alchy will still contribute when injected in small amounts, as the water vapor will aid in removing excess heat from the cylinders. About half, of a third of the volume of alchy is all that should be needed....

I'll be back in April to post the results.

See you then! :)