ProPain has me Skeered

1badTTA

Resident Smart A$$
Well it is finally up and running, got into it a couple of times and it is just causing the car to fall flat on its nose and show knock with O2's around 850mv. I have the turn on point at about 14 and the boost is only set at 16psi (normally knock there on 91octane). Also set to only run around 30-40%DC

What should I set things at for a good starting point? Last thing I want to do is blow another HG from knock. Hoping to get it tuned to 20psi on a stock turbo (no use going higher) and 91oct.

any help would be appreciated, thanks

Just turn up the boost to 35 psi and give it a go....

J/K
Are you going to midnight madness tonight...??

Love to see the propain kit installed.

Hunter, no I'm not, don't have the tires mounted yet.

Well call it a brain fart, but I had WAY TOO BIG of a jet installed (actually forgot to install a jet):eek:

Went back out and and it isn't flooding it that bad anymore. Still getting some knock and O2's @ 850 though. Guess I need to crank up the boost!!!!!!

If your 02's are 850 and you're getting knock, do NOT turn up the boost yet!!! What nozzle are you using? What's your tank pressure set at? Silly question, but is your valve on the top of the tank open?

I started with the middle jet on at 15psi and immediately hit 20psi...kept cranking it up and didnt get knock till then. Even with a bigger jet, I can't get more than 22psi, so I might wick it down just a tad. Be conservative and slow so you don't blow the HGs.

I have the #76 jet in it, I think I need to turn it on around 10psi and see what happens.

I guess I will just have to play with it untill I figure it out.
Sounds like time for a nice abandoned road at night :D

Originally posted by 1badTTA
I have the #76 jet in it, I think I need to turn it on around 10psi and see what happens.

I guess I will just have to play with it untill I figure it out.
Sounds like time for a nice abandoned road at night :D

1) Run the largest JET in the kit (90ish).
2) Regulate the OUTLET to 150psi.
3) Run the solenoid @ 100% DC.
4) SET-ON point @ 15psi.
5) Set your boost to 15psi.
6) Make sure your base FP is at least 43psi (line-off).

If you are still getting knock, it isn't the propane causing it. You have bigger, unrealted problems.

If the knock goes away, add boost slowly and watch for knock. When knock occurs, back down boost 1psi (as a safe guard). And begin to remove propane.

1) Try smaller jet, if knock occurs, replace with larger unit. If not try the next smallest jet, until KR occurs, replace with previous jet.
2) Raise the SET-ON point, 'till knock occurs, and back it down 1psi (safe guard).
3) Back down the solenoid DC, again until KR occurs. The raise slightly (S/G).
4) Adjust base FP, looking for KR, raise 1-2psi (as a S/G)

This is just MY suggested tuning procedure from initial installation, to best overall settings.

ANnnnnnnnnd, ALWAYS Watch the tank... make sure you have propane.

I laready have the turn on point at 13-14psi, and I am getting knock before the propane comes on. I am guessing it might have something to do with the 110deg days we are having.???

Question, turning the black knob clockwise will lower the pressure, correct? It is currently at 180psi.

thanks

You can set it to come on much earlier. Try like 8 PSI.

Jay, I had mine set up for 8 psi when I first got it and she would bog down until higher PSI levels were achieved.

Well I tried it with a nice low turn on point and under part throttle @10 psi it stalled on me (coasted into a parking lot). Turned it up to about 12psi, not as bad at part throttle.

I just need to go play with it for a day, been doing all my testing in town, up to 50 or so mph.

Jay, how difficult would it be to set up the controller for a 2 stage setup with the first being about 30% solenoid DC and the second being 100% setting it with the overboost control (I know thats why its there, isn't it?)

Interesting,let me share my experience with those interested..I have gone thru a few tanks already during experimentation.I have never had a bog and I am running as much propane as the kit will allow into the motor turning on at about 13 psi.I am using 94 octane sunoco and running 24 # boost total.The only time it starts to knock is when tank is getting low and it is always under 5.0 degrees.

I think it is too rich,when my o2's are that high with the propane on I got a little knock too.Got to get it back into the high 7's and see what happens,the closer you get the less knock you will have I'd bet.

Another thing I noticed is you must have at least 130 psi in the tank or as soon as it flows, it cools too much dropping the pressure to low to be effective.After a fresh fill though it is good for quite a few runs(100-150) but I would not say 3 months,more like one month,but this would depend on your right foot.

Motor never apart,has 50# MSD's,TE-44,3"
MPDP with cutout just to give you some comparison data.