Problem with code 31

Hognose

I just aquired my first GN. I love it. I am getting the 31 engine code. I have already replaced the boost solenoid, yet I am still getting the same code.
As soon as I make any boost the check engine light pops on. Any other Ideas what could be causing this and how can I correct it?
Thanks

Welcome to the board!

Don't forget to reset the ECM so it starts fresh with no stored codes....not sure if that is the reson that the check engine light is still popping up or not, but it's good to get in the habit of doing that when diagnosing problems that trigger a check engine light.

Rich
:D

tcc solenoid

i bet your tcc solenoid is bad,unplug the four prong plug on th tranny and replace the fuse marked ecm/sol......and see if it throws a code.

A bad TCC solenoid wouldn't throw a code as far as I know. I'e had one go bad a few GM cars of that era including my WE4, and none of them threw a code......

However, I guess what cooled85 is suggesting is that the plug might have a short in it, which would throw a 31?

Rich

I was having the same problem. Use my name as a search and find the thread relating to this. I received alot of helpful info that I think will help you find the sources of your problem. I went thru 30-40 fuses for the problem to just "fix" itself as quickly as it started. I Can be of more help possibly if needed.HTH

Yes, check your fuse. It was probally a bad solenoid that popped the fuse but if you haven't than a new solenoid will still code because of the open circuit. Its is possible a bad TCC solenoid may have popped it too so also make sure you dont have a power wire shorting out if you have installed a manual lock up switch. Eric Fisher

Problem solved!!!! I found a blown fuse, also I made sure the ecm wires were snugly in place.

Code is gone! Thanks for all your help.

Matthew

Re: tcc solenoid

Originally posted by cooled85
i bet your tcc solenoid is bad,unplug the four prong plug on th tranny and replace the fuse marked ecm/sol......and see if it throws a code.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

How did this go to a TCC solenoid?????

Code 31 (in case no one looked, is for wastegate solenoid).
TCC solenoid isn't even monitored by the ECM.

C'mon guys, think, then type, before sending new guys off on some unbelievable tangent.

Fortunately he found the problem.

Yeah, I couldn't figure out how it jumped to a TCC solenoid either, but being a rookie, I thought it was a piece of information that I wasn't privy to or something.
:D

If tcc was shorted, it would blow the ecm/sol fuse.Had it happen to me.So the tcc is related to the wastegate soleniod.I did read and i was not sending him on a (unbelievable tangent).

Originally posted by cooled85
If tcc was shorted, it would blow the ecm/sol fuse.Had it happen to me.So the tcc is related to the wastegate soleniod.I did read and i was not sending him on a (unbelievable tangent).

Yes, with your original post/explanation, you WERE.