Pro Stock Buick

i've heard from quite a few people say that "TRICKY RICKY SMITH" was the main 1 against the buick competing in prostock. back then, the V6 kicked azz on the street and on the track and proved you dont need a BIG MOTOR to do the job (it still does) . the last i heard of that BAAAAD BUICK, it was stored in mich. BUICKS were kicking some serious azz back then that even KENNY BERNSTEIN decided to run a buick body funny car. i bet we would all love to see INGERSOLLS V6 buick make an exibition pass.

That story is a reprint from a few years ago. They just changed the dates ("22 years ago") and gave us a one-liner about what Buddy does now.

The video however, is a Jewel.:cool:

Good stuff! Rickie Smith has always been a cry-baby. Todays Pro-stockers are about as exciting as watching paint dry. Why some can't accept change is beyond me.

pro stockers

I allways go to the us nationals [indy] on friday juat to watch the pro stockers and the hemi challenge, i was at the 1985, 1986, 1987, etc,, us nationals, i remember seeing the buick pro stocker, what i dont remember is seeing it win a round, but at my age i seem to forget some things, like who was it that got caught using a air shifter in pro stock ? [few years ago] also who got caught with a nitrous bottle in the oil pan ? there was a lot of cheaters back in the day, now take comp, super gas that is boring, just my two cents, :)

I allways go to the us nationals [indy] on friday juat to watch the pro stockers and the hemi challenge, i was at the 1985, 1986, 1987, etc,, us nationals, i remember seeing the buick pro stocker, what i dont remember is seeing it win a round, but at my age i seem to forget some things, like who was it that got caught using a air shifter in pro stock ? [few years ago] also who got caught with a nitrous bottle in the oil pan ? there was a lot of cheaters back in the day, now take comp, super gas that is boring, just my two cents, :)

Wasn't that the Wayne County boys - Alderman and somebody who got caught with the nitrous - using a weight bar for a bottle, etc?

i think that was JERRY ECKMAN that had a bottle of nitrous hidden in the oil pan that exploded in the pits. i also heard ALDERMAN & GEOFFRION were using it too. when GLIDDEN flipped his T-BIRD in atlanta in 86, he got out right away , took off his jacket and covered the carbs, what was he hiding ?

pro stock

was'nt billy glidden banned for awhile for doing something illegal in the nmca :confused: :confused: :rolleyes: :redface: :mad: :mad:

was'nt billy glidden banned for awhile for doing something illegal in the nmca

Many years ago when I lived back in Omaha one of the guys I worked with had a neighbor. The guy was really cool and he had a 70 BBC Corvette to boot. Well the cool neighbor had a son about 10 years younger than us. Back around 1997 or so he moved away or went to school somewhere up in the Indy area. Anyway he managed to snag a job working in Gliddens shop. Mostly as a go-fer as he didn't know crap about cars. Anyway he would come home for the holidays with a few boxes of Gliddens trash and some wild stories of working in the shop. Anyway one of the stories was the day he was supposed to clean to place from floor to ceiling. Inside the office or storage room he said was a stash of at least 20 to 30 20 pound nitrous bottles. Anyway the excuse Bob told him was that those belong to Rusty or Billy and he shouldn't screw around with them. Somewhere I have autographed piston and conn rod out of a Shotgun Ford.

JERRY ECKMAN had the bottle inside the dry sump and the actully "sprayed" the motor from the bottom up thru the oil lines, my friend Gordie Rivera said Eckmans crew was working on the car and the bottle flew off and was spinning on the ground! 2 weeks later the Wayne County Pro Stock team (Alderman) had the mysterious break in

was'nt billy glidden banned for awhile for doing something illegal in the nmca :confused: :confused: :rolleyes: :redface: :mad: :mad:

Nah, he wasn't banned from the NMCA. You may be thinking of Kimmen who had a blown Camaro that he ran in the Pro-Street class some years ago. He wrecked the car when it was discovered that he had a N20 bottle hidden in the fuel cell. He stated that it was there for some grudge racing he had been doing and was neither full or in use. He did recieve a leave of absence for it. Billy Glidden had some troubles in Pro-Stock in regards to the use of N20 which apparently was pretty rampant at the time. My understanding is that his dad got wind of it and put a stop to it so as not to ruin the family name within the Pro-Stock ranks. I believe the only ones who truly know what really happened would never speak out about it.

Jim C.

Watching that video brought pack memories from when I was little kid.Seeing those buicks in pro stock and nascar in the 80s,is what made me always want a GN.

That Was Bad Ass! Buddy Almost Went Home Losing To A V6!thanks Ryan!

I have personally talked with Bob Glidden about the N2O issue. He spilled the beans at the Woodburn Prostock Invitational just prior to the Seattle race. The Oregonian newspaper first printed the story. He said that his sons BOTH ran nitrous, but he didn't. He felt like he was loosing it after dominating the class for so many years. His sons told him that N2O was being used by most of the competitors, but he thought they were wrong. "Why would they do that, just to win?" "This is a Gentlemans club." They said that they were going to use it and prove it could be done. He said he would have none of it, and that they were on thier own. He said that one had the N20 in thier battery, and the other in a rocker panel. He told me that it wasn't a traditional bottle, but rather a "container". They gun drilled the motor plate and would just fog the hood scoop, and it was worth about 75hp. He claimed it wasn't very efficient, but it only needed to net them 75hp. Bob is an amazing guy. That national event lasted nearly a week, due to rain. (hey!...it's Seattle after all) He came in second place and on the return road the entire crowd was on their feet cheering him. WJ won the event, and only 15-20 people were clapping when he was towed by. There was a huge line for his autograph after the race. It was my daughters 8th birthday that day, and I told Bob that I gave her the choice to have a big party or go to the race (again, as we had gone Sunday, Monday, Tues., and now it was Wed.) She said "I want to go see Bob Glidden win! (That's MY GIRL!;) ) When I told him that, he had a tear in his eye, and got down on one knee and looked her right in the eye and thanked her. He then spent the next 5 or so minutes talking directly to her only. (all the while there was about 100 people waiting for his John Hancock) Class guy. The nitrous issue was a HUGE blow to Bob.