Prize Giveaway for Tb.com Members

WE4

TBcom Admin /Prayers NYFD/NYPD
We have been fortunate enough for two vendors to "donate" products for us to give away.
Thank these people when you get the chance. (Clap, clap, clap)
Thanks to them from Turbobuick.com

First item :

1) Big Al has donated a mini-starter with bolts shipped

2) SpeednV6 has donated a fuel pressure gauge set up. Tb.com will pay the shipping to the winner

Now, at first the way I was going to do this was I would have my child pick a number between 1-11,700 which is how many members we have , and whoever is ID# whatever she picked in the database would win. BUT Vbulletin has informed me that there is no where you can get this from other than to download a program and give everyone a number. So, that will not work.

SO My question is:
How can we and what kind of contest should we have? Nick and I thought about it and I can't see a way to do it and include everyone. With a raffle , tickets are sold and then picked to see who wins but this is NOT a raffle, it is a GIVE AWAY.

So then we considered a three digit lottery or a one digit lottery. I would pre mail the number(s) to someone on the board and whoever got closest would win. We will do one prize at a time and I will step up and donate something too from PTS so we will have three times to try this. Doing one at a time , we will carry it out over time so ther is always some kind of giveaway going on in that period of time.
So what we are looking for is ideas on how to both go about this and how long should each one last? 1-2 weeks, 1 month? what?
Anyway, replies are desired and as soon as we come up with a way to do this so every member has an equal chance to win, we will get started with product #1.

These are the rules I have so far that no matter what will apply.
1) No Administrator or Moderator of the board can win.
2) The answer or winning number will be premailed, in advance, to a member of choice chosen by us as a group.
3) Only one entry per member.

Let's get this rockin!!!!!!

So, any ideas how to do this ?
How would you guys and gals like to see this done?
It isn't as easy as one would think, is it?

Thanks in advance......:D
Bruce
WE4
Tb.com admin

Going back to the member ID idea..instead of using member Id you could use # of posts and if a member does not have the exact number drawn either go down or up to the nearest one. I think the most posts someone has is around 6800 and limit the lowest to 10 or 20 so you don't have all of the members that joined and never came back or those who created a ton of userids.

I was hoping you wouldnt say dont include new members, i just bought my car but dont have alot of posts..

I say you create a thread or a CGI list that people sign up on, and out of those members, pick a name out of random ( there are programs that will create a random list, make the # of items on the list 1, and u have your winner. )

Predetermine a number and have it verified by a honest wittness. Then have anyone interested make 1 guess until someone gets it right....easy and fair for all involved.

Originally posted by turbov6joe
Predetermine a number and have it verified by a honest wittness. Then have anyone interested make 1 guess until someone gets it right....easy and fair for all involved.

I like this idea. Just write a little PHP program to store the user_id and guess of each person in a database table, so as to prevent duplicate/multiple guesses from one person

Make a sticky thread where those who want to enter must reply to the thread. Make it only allow one reply per member. Give members a predetermined amount of time to reply. When the time expires, lock the thread, count the replies, then pick a random number via a random # program function or drawing. That reply # wins.

What is the number associated with "referrerid"?

Maybe that could serve as a user number that will not require a special program to assign ID numbers.

The problem here is that many members may not know that number or where to learn it and as a result there may be unclaimed prizes. That may be dealt with by having an expiration to claim the prize. It might also add some excitement as there could be many chances to win when new numbers, all predetermined, are called out until one claims the prize.

This should just need a random list of the numbers in the random order to be called out and then need to determine a time period to claim the prize before a new number is released. The member that replies to the thread with the chosen number before a new number is posted wins.