Price Going Up Now that Federal Subsidy Expired 1/1/2012?

Hot Air

E85 and S.E./Carolinas Moderator
Staff member
So, what is happening to price of E85?
Conrad

I'm going to drive the T this weekend.when I fill up,ill post up what I paid.gonna see what my MPG was when I drove it over the holidays.haven't check that in a long time.

Just looked a few days ago. It was only 10 cents less than 87 octane over here in northern IL.

Used to be 40-50 cents cheaper.

In the chicago burb Riverside it was about 3 bucks a gallon - about 50 cents lower than 87. That was on Sunday the 1st.

I saw a place in Lisle, IL go from $2.87 to $3.29. I was thinking of doing E85 but now I am having seconds thoughts. I am not not about the long term future of E85 being around. E85 needs to be 20% cheaper than 87 to be worth using in a normal car just to break even on the gas mileage difference.

I dont run it because it's cheaper... ;) hoping it doesn't go past regular though. I only get about 10-11mpg!

The beauty of E85 is it is one third of the price of 100-116 race fuel. So I will continue to use it until it gets higher than 6 plus dollars a gallon.

I should have clarifed. I am not worried about it being cheap, but if it is not worth it to the masses to use E85 stations will stop selling it. We already lost one chain in my area that sold E85. I only have 2 stations left that carry it in the near vacinity. At 10% or so less than 87 I dont see it staying around long. But I hope I am wrong. :)

I should have clarifed. I am not worried about it being cheap, but if it is not worth it to the masses to use E85 stations will stop selling it. We already lost one chain in my area that sold E85. I only have 2 stations left that carry it in the near vacinity. At 10% or so less than 87 I dont see it staying around long. But I hope I am wrong. :)

Same here i had a station that sold it 5 mins from where i live and now they stopped so i'm having to drive 45 mins each way now

$3.05 here in the DFW area today... I honestly don't even pay attention anymore. I think regular was $3.20

Yep, Still cheaper than race gas,I will keep running it untill I cant find it near me anymore.

3.09 in Des Plaines. hasn't changed much lately. My year round racecar burns it all day every day.