precision intercooler question

well it seems my scoop scraped in the driveway because the car is lowered and the shroud is cantered to the side a little that is why there is a space and not fitting properly also sheared a couple screws now what to do do i take the cooler back out and fix it or just leave it!

well it seems my scoop scraped in the driveway because the car is lowered and the shroud is cantered to the side a little that is why there is a space and not fitting properly also sheared a couple screws now what to do do i take the cooler back out and fix it or just leave it!

hell0; IMO I'd drive with it as is and see what else might happen. Then I'd take it out and fix it. Do you have the frame braces? If so did you get yo keep them in with the new IC? What do you think don't those screws suck?
IBBY

Hey, Just a quick question... I installed a new IC and works fine, only problem is it's
not lined up with the air dams and is offset by 1.5 inches. The question I have, Is the shroud offset coming off the IC ? Mine is intentionally offset, wondering if they're all like that ? Sent pics to PTE, and haven't heard back yet .... thanks.

hello peoples; Here's the latest with me. All is going pretty well and now it's time to fit the silicon connectors for a ck fit. The reducer cumming from the turbo is like 2.800" ID to the IC and the IC is 3" at the main body with a aprox. 3.150" lip. The casting of the lip varies a bit more than I would like but that's QC.
In other words the IC is not going in till I get the correct reducer and that sucks more than the screws. Also the T-clamps are not the same finish some are gold and some are stainless colored. I know I'm a picky but that's how I am with some things. Sucks as it's an overcast day so far and the sun wasn't baking on me.
I struggled with that reducer a bit but it is not right. While I'm at it one more thing the 3" conn. for the inlet pipe came all frayed at the ends not a smooth clean cut that sucks too. That's it for now but I'll be back!!!
IBBY

hello; With my kit I got 4 hex spacers 2" long with bolts and there's no mention of them in the instructions. What are they for?
IBBY

Hey, Just a quick question... I installed a new IC and works fine, only problem is it's
not lined up with the air dams and is offset by 1.5 inches. The question I have, Is the shroud offset coming off the IC ? Mine is intentionally offset, wondering if they're all like that ? Sent pics to PTE, and haven't heard back yet .... thanks.

yes they are all like that.

Thanks for the reply...does your scoop line up in the middle of the air dams ?
My scoop winds up about 1.5 inches too far towards the drivers side and is way off center.
Is it just my gn, or are they all fitting like that ? I know these cars have wierd measurements, but that seems way out....all the hoses line up straight, and the IC bolts right in and is almost straight with everything !!! So everything is right except the scoop.... Wouldn't mind seeing some pics of a successful install....thanks

hello; You're right on the ball with your install.
I have a couple of questions. About how much rad. coolant did you loose as I did open my IC up today and went thru the directions. It says to quickly line up and put the bolt in and it gives me the impression there's alot of coolant going to come out. Too bad about the braces not being able do be used. Was it a total no go or could it be done?
I'll be back probably with more questions as I might get to it this weekend.
Also I see your good at pics how about a couple of your new set up.
IBBY

I sent the OP a few pics of how to install a plate so you could still use your frame braces. Its very simple and takes just a few mins. Those braces work to well to leave them off because of the bigger IC.

:biggrin:

Attachments

• DSC01138.JPG
    DSC01138.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 263
  • DSC01137.JPG
    DSC01137.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 257
hello; I still have your post on that plate and I'll probably get one once I get the IC in. But if you have a PTC SLIC as posted earlier a member said if you remove the short spacer on the drivers side it would fit. What do you think? With me I have to make a phone call to PTC with questions and finish the install.
IBBY

I drilled and tapped the intercooler for 1/4-20 bolts for the scoop. I then took 1/4" stainless bolts that are 1/2" long and threaded a stainless nut onto the bolt to shorten the grip length. It is also easier to install the bolts now because I now have bolts with twice the thickness heads. With my crippled fingers it sure made install a SNAP! BUT........be very careful drilling the holes..........too deep and you'll have to install the bolts with sealant.;)
I also fabbed a tubular bracket for the passenger side due to the TA oil pump blocked the install of the stock PTE bracket. One bolt picks up the unused hole on the face of the cylinder head, the other end picks up the stock unused stud on the water pump. I also used studs on all the mounting holes which makes install really easy. Just slid the drivers side stud into the bracket, then slide other intercooler back into the passenger side bracket. BINGO........job done. No more fighting to line the holes up while trying to start the bolts with your finger tips.

Attachments

• IMG_20110528_174558.jpg
    IMG_20110528_174558.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_20110528_174708.jpg
    IMG_20110528_174708.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_20110611_181154.jpg
    IMG_20110611_181154.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 251
hello; Nice job Turbofab as I like the use of unused bolts and studs. Do you use the frame braces? Coach has one way to solve the problem of the IC hitting them but I guess your way cured that problem also?
With my IC I don't think I'm going to tap those 10 holes that hold the scoop but I'm thinking just another S/M screw with a hex head on it. What do you think of sheer pins like on snow blower? As since the scoop is so solid if you hit anything it's going to brake off any H/W holding it. I'm probably over thinking but I am and will probaly just use those sucky screws that came with it.
IBBY

hello; I came on to say I've been calling PTE all day and they must be on va-ca or something. I called "The Parts guy" and he's going to do an exchange for the US reducer and the 3" conn.
I'll keep trying PTE with my other questions.
I still like to know (fir sure) if the IC will fit with braces by just removing the short spacer as was told here.
IBBY

hello; I got thru today to PTE and they heard my comments and suggestions.
Like one is to be able to get there SLIC that would clear the cross braces alot of people are using. We didn't talk about the core changes (if any) but they changed one mounting bracket so the IC will be square to the engine. The hex stand offs and bolts where packed in error as they go with a FMIC.
IBBY

jlat,
I will make this real easy for ya. Send me 25 bucks and I will send you a plate to move the braces, and a flat bottom 1/4-20tap and the 1/4x20 SS SHCS screws to hold the shroud. Lets call it a "Finish installation kit". If this is OK with you, PM me. I really think your way over thinking this, and I want to make it easier for ya. This is 10 extra min of work, if you've ever tapped anything before.

jlat,
I will make this real easy for ya. Send me 25 bucks and I will send you a plate to move the braces, and a flat bottom 1/4-20tap and the 1/4x20 SS SHCS screws to hold the shroud. Lets call it a "Finish installation kit". If this is OK with you, PM me. I really think your way over thinking this, and I want to make it easier for ya. This is 10 extra min of work, if you've ever tapped anything before.

WOW! You're good.........it takes me 10 minutes just to figure out which way to turn a tap to make theads in a hole...........righty tighty, lefty loosie..........but that's for bolts and nuts .......geeezeee.......what the heck is it for cutting tools? .........uuuuhhhmmm............. I should remember this from A&P school............;)

Hey guys this sounds like a Great deal on all that stuff for those that need it. Good job Coach.

hello; I still have your post on that plate and I'll probably get one once I get the IC in. But if you have a PTC SLIC as posted earlier a member said if you remove the short spacer on the drivers side it would fit. What do you think? With me I have to make a phone call to PTC with questions and finish the install.
IBBY

The short spacer is needed. I tried taking it out today and it throws the thing out of whack and the holes on the IC will not even come close to lining up. Just make the holes on the new brace a bit bigger and you will have all the adjustment you'll need. You're over thinking this whole thing. All you have to do is put the thing in there to figure out what adjustments need to be made for your own car to get it to fit just right. I had a GN guy at my shop today and he was amazed on how good it fit compared to his older version lol

hello; The Parts Guy came thru and I got my connectors yesterday. It's one day from Cotton land and that's good to know. But I was outside my house when the package arrived via UPS it was 8:30 PM. I did mention to the driver about being a long day and it was for us both. That new reducer is bigger and it will work. Now to get some time to play with the car.
IBBY

This might give an alternative.
Mike

Attachments

• DSC02124.jpg
    DSC02124.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 169
  • DSC02123.jpg
    DSC02123.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC02126.jpg
    DSC02126.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 164
The short spacer is needed. I tried taking it out today and it throws the thing out of whack and the holes on the IC will not even come close to lining up. Just make the holes on the new brace a bit bigger and you will have all the adjustment you'll need. You're over thinking this whole thing. All you have to do is put the thing in there to figure out what adjustments need to be made for your own car to get it to fit just right. I had a GN guy at my shop today and he was amazed on how good it fit compared to his older version lol

You're going to need some kind of spacer, a bunch of washers thrown together might work.