Precision Housing .63 doesn't fit stock Garret .63

1QWIK6

Torque wins
I have a TE63 turbo. The stock .63 garret housing mating surface to the headers was warped. I bought a used Precision .63 housing as a replacement. Problem is the Precision housing wont fit over the turbine wheel. Can I have a machine shop bore the housing to match the garret housing? Top is the garret housing, bottom pic is the Precision housing.

Suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_0033[1].jpg
    IMG_0033[1].jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_0038[1].jpg
    IMG_0038[1].jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 327
it needs to be machined by precision not your local machine shop it needs a countour and the correct clearance to the wheel or it will spool bad and not make any power
Mike

Called Precision Engine and Turbo and was told they can't (won't?) machine the housing. They make specific housings based on the turbine wheel size/type.

Now.. how do I identify what exhaust wheel I have?

Attachments

• IMG_0039[1].jpg
    IMG_0039[1].jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_0040[1].jpg
    IMG_0040[1].jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_0044[1].jpg
    IMG_0044[1].jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 268
Yes, that was my co-worker Aaron that you spoke with earlier.
Just to clarify, we do not re-machine older turbine housings that were originally machined for a different turbine wheel. As a turbo manufacturing company, it is not economically feasible to shut down the production line, retool the machine, and cut the one housing. Each turbine housing rough casting, is machined specifically to match the contour and dimensions of the turbine wheel.

Mike is also correct, the clearances that are machined are very critical and will dramatically affect spool up characteristics if not done properly. In some cases it is impossible to re-machine the housing for a different wheel because of these specific contours. Meaning, material could have been machined out in the beginning, that would need to be in place for the different turbine wheel.

However, as a solution, if you can measure the inducer and the exducer of the turbine wheel, we should be able to match up a new turbine housing for your turbo. Or at the least, you could source a correctly machined used housing.

Here is a picture that shows where to measure the turbine wheel.

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbo...ed_Images/Garrett_rotating_group_enlarged.jpg

I do know that almost every TE63 turbo produced for a Buick, whether it was by us, or by Limit, featured a P-trim turbine wheel. The measurements for a P-trim turbine wheel should be,

Inducer: 2.920"
Exducer: 2.542"

The correct Precision .63 A/R turbine housing part number is THB3-76.
Hope some of this helps.

Patrick

Contact Limit Engineering, they can do stuff like this. :)

I just had them fit a Garrett housing on a TE-45A, and that does spool up MUCH quicker!

I have a TE63 turbo. The stock .63 garret housing mating surface to the headers was warped. I bought a used Precision .63 housing as a replacement. Problem is the Precision housing wont fit over the turbine wheel. Can I have a machine shop bore the housing to match the garret housing? Top is the garret housing, bottom pic is the Precision housing.

Suggestions?

A machine shop can't machine your warped housing flat????

I may have an extra Garrett housing machined for the wheel. I could resurface your housing if needed also. Pm if interested.

Send it to BISON, he will fix you up somehow. I can easily machine it flat for you. I am not fixtured to machine the wheel contour, or I would. I can hold tolerances closer then any machine shop you could ever find. Have you tried calling Wes at PTE. He may have a used housing there. They have had alot of used reman'd turbos for sale. They must have some parts. They have had a few TE63's.

:biggrin: