Powermaster service manual

Darth Fiero

3800 Series II Turbo
A friend of mine purchased at auction the PPG Indy 500 Fiero Pace Car that was in the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago. We discovered this car has what looks like the same Powermaster brake unit used on the Buick GN's. He has asked me to find out if there was ever a service manual or publication made for just the Powermaster brake unit. And if so, where would such materials be found.

If not, does the factory GN service manual go into great detail about the Powermaster brake unit (showing exploded diagrams, unit repair, etc)???

Any info would be appreciated.

-ryan

The first step would be to verify whether it's a Powermaster or a Hydroboost system.

The Service manual has some pretty good info, but there was also a Powermaster suppliment produced by (I believe) Kirbans.

I doubt it's a Hydroboost. Can you imagine the plumbing nightmare of running hoses from the pump in the engine compartment to the master cylinder in the front trunk? If the PPG Pacers recieved the same unit that GM used on the real 84 Indy Fiero Pace Car than that's the same Powermaster 1 unit used on our cars. Yep tons of info in the 86-87 Buick shop manuals or if you have access to them any 86 Factory Shop Manual for the B-Body full size wagon.Buick,Olds,Chevy,Pontiac. Some of the 86 Wagons used the PM1. There is also a recall bulletin for the TR and B-Wagon that has a troubleshooting chart in it.

The first step would be to verify whether it's a Powermaster or a Hydroboost system.

The Service manual has some pretty good info, but there was also a Powermaster suppliment produced by (I believe) Kirbans.

It is not a hydroboost; it is a powermaster (gen1) -- IE: electric pump used for power assist.